SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, im looking fore info on the construction of independently rotating front wheels.

They are for a proxy car of the 1930,s but the distance between the guide and the front of the car

bodywork is very restricted therefor a strait axle has its limitations, any info gratefully received.

Id like to add, the car will be driven by folk who have varying degree,s of skill therefor the build must

be able to take a far amount of abuse and still hold together.

cheers

Mac P

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
This is how I built a 1920's Alfa, and I built an Auto union using a Chase cars steering unit. You could also use a TSRF guide as the post is in the middle and it sits further back

in the car

DSCF0998.JPG

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
There is a supplier in Germany who simply added a retainer ring on one end and you mount the other wheel normally.

It does mean that the axle is spinning but the wheel on the end with the retainer ring is free to move.

Not completely independent but darn close and not as floppy as free floating axle stubs.

3mm only though:

https://slotbox.de/1_32,_1_24_ersatzteile3_mm_achsen.htm

The section starts with "Slotdevil Zeroglide 3 mm Vorderachsen mit Nut und Sprengring" google should do a halfway decent translation...

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
There is a supplier in Germany who simply added a retainer ring on one end and you mount the other wheel normally.
For a straight axle, just solder a small washer on one end of an axle and omit the grub screw from the wheel at that end.

For a dropped axle, Bigtone's post looks the most robust arrangement I've seen. Must copy it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi Mac, knowing you I expect you want to have the knock-off hubs visible. This is a photo of a method Mark devised and I first used on the Maserati 250F I won the Early Birds with in 2012, or 11 or 13, ages ago anyway. It has the advantage of being able to true the front wheels on a normal 3/32" shaft tyre truer.

Front axle.jpg

It uses 1/16" ID 3/32" OD tube over a 1/16" piano wire axle. An inner piece of tube is soldered onto the axle which controls the inward movement of the middle piece of tube which is free to rotate. This tube is retained by a very small sliver cut off the tube(more a washer) which is soldered very carefully onto the end of the axle. The wheel is then retained on the rotating piece of tube by pinching the grub screw onto it just enough to hold without the tube binding on the piano wire. It needs very careful measuring to get the front track right and all the bits lined up in order to hide it all within the hub.

I have used this method a lot and only once suffered wheels coming off. I solved that by drilling a small hole just smaller than the 2mm grub screw middle tube in the place marked by the grub screw so the screw taps itself into the hole just enough to hold and then dabbing a touch of super glue on the grub screw. A fiddly and lengthy process but well within the capabilities of a model engineer of your calibre.

Looking at the photo again I think I have got better at it with practice especially at getting all the edges of the tubing flush!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
hello gentlemen.

You've also have independant front wheels using MB slot parts

please have a look at this link http://www.mbslot.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=44_4_12

they offer entire front axles but they also have two front semi-axles ( like on some old Fly slotcars)

both of them use small circlips .

It's a very good material and I have some cars mounted with them.

Hope it can help

Best regards

olivier

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys, theres some good info there, i should be able to use one of those methods.

Dick, how can you sleep at night !!!!!!!! you have admitted running that Masa WITHOUT the

knock offs rotating, its dam lucky for you Dave Jones was not scrooooooting you would have

been for the high jump !!!!

cheers

mac

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I am a bit late to Mac's topic but this is how I built a front motored chassis with independent front axles for a Birdcage Maserati.

IMG_2428.jpg

David

Attachments

Reactions: munter

·
Registered
322 Posts
It may not look very elegant because of the twisted wire ends, this might have already been cleaned, but...

This chassis has a few things to adjust

- changeable sidepans

- adjustable guide holder

- adjustable front wheels.

The front wheels are movable lengthwise, sideways and in their camber.

heavy1wgfn1.jpg

heavy2d6fu9.jpg

heavy37kda1.jpg

Roland

1 - 13 of 13 Posts