Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this '65 Sheraton Thompson Special on the shelf, it really needs a new body (this is the good side!) but am not sure who made this.
As the detailing is quite good I wouldn't mind rebuilding it into a new shell.
It's a fibre glass one, but is not listed in the Betta catalogue, any info on the maker would be appreciated.

·
Registered
686 Posts
a-ha...Aj Foyt's Lotus 34...I've no idea who made it, but the paint is pretty accurate, the body a little equine.

Rare car.

Chris

·
Registered
686 Posts
OK so it's crude, in places, like the windshield area, the real car is beautiful, said by some top be the most beautiful Lotus ever to grace the Brickyard.

This car was a modified 64 Lotus 34, that ran in the 65 race and we all know who wone that.

The real car was basically the same as the Lotus 34 I posted a pix of somewhere on this board, but with gently flairing side tanks, and a gorgeous paint job...oh yes and that ugly side tank...this car evolved into the first Coyote, very similar in the center tub, different nose and tail.

Chris

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Coyote?? This gets worse. Call David Attenborough, quick!

But thanks for the info, Beard og. I'll be calling for a few more of those motors soon.

·
Registered
420 Posts
philsmith u interested in sellin that car? I'd kill for it A.J Foyt was my idol as a little kid i was 4 and watching him. That is some car!!!

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
As I said this is the good side, the other side of the body has nearly completley disintegrated, and someone has held it altother with white silicone!
Also there is no chasis as such, the motor, a Pitmman 196b just sort of sits in the body and the front axle and guide are just glued into the body.
It really needs a new shell and a proper chassis making up, I may have a go at making a mould from what is left.

Here's a picture, it's pretty nasty!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
At last. I was going to say you've been slacking lately Phil. I need at least one new masterpiece a week to feed my habit.
What's next in your box? Come on, come on laddie.... I'm getting the cold sweats again.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but i don't think they ran the tanks on the side of the rear engined cars. I will have to check my books. I have two different roadsters i am going to do. One is a model the other a slotcar body. I would post some pics if i could figure out how to get the sizes down.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ok i checked my Indy books and i think this is his 65 Lotus. The pic i have says 64 but that year he drove a roadster. The pic looks like it has the side tank but it is hard to tell. It is also painted different. But i think it is there. I could not find another Lotus with one. Hope this helps.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car is now finished, considering the state of the thing in the first place I think it looks OK.

and with the Yamaha Special

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
What's OK for you Phil is just pure brain damage for the rest of us. Superb! Thanks for sticking that one back together.
Now what's next?

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE Now what's next?

I've started playing with this,

Revell Sunbeam Alpine conv. body with a top off a mustang (Aurora I think)

Should look like this when finished

for the next Wolverhampton event

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brad Blohm has just arrived here in the UK for the trip to Turin at the weekend,
here is his car for the 1/32

Strombecker '66 Brawner Hawk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts