SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been going through some old pictures and found a few of Innes Ireland , now Innes is no longer with us but did lead a interesting life one of those care free drivers of that era, perhaps that's why he didn't get to be a world champion to much a sporting gent.
I met Innes twice Silverstone and Aintree , now i remember Aintree 1962 going round the paddock and in those days all the drivers were wandering about there as well, gosh could you see that happening now.
Innes was sitting on a couple of wheels chatting , and near by was Jimmy Clark , and not far away Graham Hill was holding court, i was 18 at the time and tentavly asked Mr Ireland for his autograph , a big beam greeted my request and he pulled out a picture and signed it for me .
I was rather speechless here was this racing driver now speaking to me asked about my interests in a broad scottish accent what cars i liked e.t.c must have been nearly 10 minutes before he had to go, since that day i have always liked his style had a glint in his eye for the passing ladies rather like Hill, said it as it was and i had a feeling didn't suffer fools gladly.
So Innes i cannot write a potted history about you , not a writer , but will always remember the man in the chequered helmet., a few pictures

Military person Collar Cap Wrinkle Personal protective equipment

Cap White Gesture Sleeve Baseball cap

Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Car
Tire Wheel Plant Sky Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Tire Vehicle Wheel Helmet Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Smile Hairstyle Photograph White Fashion

Thanks for the memories , in my mind one of the greats .

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
A nice post, Keith. Greatly appreciated. Just one small point; Innes didn't speak with any kind of Scottish accent, let alone a broad one.

Memory plays tricks with us all as we age, and I'm no exception. Thanks again for a super missive.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Innes Ireland was my very first racing driver hero. As time went on, Graham Hill, Jim Clark, and Dan Gurney moved higher in my drivers charts and as they passed on or retired, their places were taken Jochen Rindt featured as did Niki Lauder, Keke Rosberg and Clay Regazzoni and so it goes on. I think the last drivers I really looked up to were Damon Hill and Jensen Button but even in their eras, the corporate driver was becoming the norm and my interest in the drivers was replaced by simply wanting to enjoy the racing and even that “ain’t like it used to be” mainly because the cars are so advanced nowadays and many of the new circuits were designed by a bloody computer and of course the gimmicks like DRS feature now and while the “show” may have improved, the racing hasn’t with aerodynamics getting ever more complex. Ah well, having reminded me of a 9 year olds hero, you will just have to put up with my reminiscing. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Innes Ireland was my very first racing driver hero. As time went on, Graham Hill, Jim Clark, and Dan Gurney moved higher in my drivers charts and as they passed on or retired, their places were taken Jochen Rindt featured as did Niki Lauder, Keke Rosberg and Clay Regazzoni and so it goes on. I think the last drivers I really looked up to were Damon Hill and Jensen Button but even in their eras, the corporate driver was becoming the norm and my interest in the drivers was replaced by simply wanting to enjoy the racing and even that “ain’t like it used to be” mainly because the cars are so advanced nowadays and many of the new circuits were designed by a bloody computer and of course the gimmicks like DRS feature now and while the “show” may have improved, the racing hasn’t with aerodynamics getting ever more complex. Ah well, having reminded me of a 9 year olds hero, you will just have to put up with my reminiscing. :)
The second picture down is Innes with Denise Mccluggage Aussie racer drove a Porsche , Innes was driving a Lotus 19 for team Rosebud both in a series in the USA , can't remember the year very early 60,s as far as i can remember.
The picture with Innes driving the shark nose Ferrari was a one of, Ferrari sent over the car with a full set of mechanics, something to do with the aftermath of Stirlings big accident, think he finished 6th in that car.
As far as accents are concerned Trisa, i possibly do have him mixed up with someone else , on that day there was a oppurtunity to meet many drivers , and get autographs , can remember getting Jim,s and Grahams as well as one or two others, strange thing was thinking back is how easy it was to get access to the drivers and actually talk to them. Another picture, Jim and Innes when they were driving the Lotus 21 for Lotus works team.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thanks for the memories, chaps - I also have very fond memories and admiration of the man who figured so large in such very different times.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
All those great pics remind me that you could SEE who the drivers were then and recognise them as they wore open face helmets.

OK so the current 'Darth Vadar' helmets are much safer, but it's impossible to tell who's who as you can't see and read the racing numbers on the cars either!

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
It's also a pity, Kit, that the halo makes driver identification difficult nowadays, and I gave up trying to see car numbers a while back.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's also a pity, Kit, that the halo makes driver identification difficult nowadays, and I gave up trying to see car numbers a while back.
The picture of Innes sitting amongst all the young fans having a *** is one picture that sums up that era , you could see, meet and be with your heroes just look at the kids faces says it all.
And another picture Innes at the wheel of the UDT Laystall Lotus 19 again early 60,s ,note the mods to the front wheel arch must have been difficult to drive that car fast round bends chuckle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Wonderful photo's, thanks.

Rosebud Racing is mentioned above. IIRC this outfit was run by John Mecom, an oil millionaire, and many hilarious stories are told in Innes' book about his adventures with JM. One anecdote which may not be in the book was that Mecom arrived at an airport in a big hurry and wanted a flight out, but had left his means of paying behind. After remonstrating with the ticket clerk, he persuaded him/her to telephone his bank and speak to the manager.

"I have a Mr. Mecom here with no money on him. Is it ok to sell him a ticket?"

"Sell him the whole d"mn airport if he wants it".

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Love the three-seater Honda. Never seen that photo before. There would be Hell to pay if that happened today. There would have to be an enquiry, an appeal to Paris and 'elfs would hastily hold an international conference (of 'elfs).

Fines and grid penalties would be just for starters, and journos would melt their nibs scribbling the word, 'dangerous' at least 15 times per sentence.

Scheesch! "WARNING. Contents of this coffee cup might be HOT."

'Elfs! Go and get a proper job.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love the three-seater Honda. Never seen that photo before. There would be Hell to pay if that happened today. There would have to be an enquiry, an appeal to Paris and 'elfs would hastily hold an international conference (of 'elfs).

Fines and grid penalties would be just for starters, and journos would melt their nibs scribbling the word, 'dangerous' at least 15 times per sentence.

Scheesch! "WARNING. Contents of this coffee cup might be HOT."

'Elfs! Go and get a proper job.
The 3 wise men Trisha, Scott Watson, Innes Ireland and Jimmy Clark now i have an idea who enjoyed the evening to much, was thinking if that was today the media would crucify them.

Smile Shirt Facial expression White Black

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Watkins Glen, 1961, Innes scores Chapman's first GP victory. View attachment 278470
Yes and at the time he was number 1 at Lotus and did get a pretty good no2 driver to back him up a certain Jommy Clark, if Innes had not fallen out with Chapman he could have been still his number one driver in the years to come .
He had all the skills but after Lotus not really the cars , like the UDT Laystall Lotus 24 pictured here at Monaco not sure of the year but 1961 looks favourite judging by him still with the Climax 24 , oh and i beleive the 32 car was his number 2 a certain Jim Hall at the time

Tire Wheel Photograph Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts