SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My layout creates a lot of noise when the cars are running. The track is currently laid directly onto a 3mm MDF bed supported by a wooden frame which stands directly on the floorboards.

It has occurred to me that some kind of underlay would help. I experimented with a layer of grip mat under all the flyover supports and it's made quite a difference on that section of track. A complete blanket of grip mat covering the whole of the table is going to cost a fortune, which I'd rather spend on more cars.

I discovered today that I can lay my hands on a supply of 1200x500x25mm foam which is fairly rigid and I initially thought of covering the table with a layer of it. But then I got a bit carried away........ Suppose I use enough of this stuff to raise the main part of the track to the level of the flyover (probably 3 layers, 75mm) and cut a channel in it for an underpass instead of having the flyover?

If you can understand what I'm trying to say, what do you reckon to the idea? Is it feasible?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Greg Gaub
15,388 Posts
Totally feasible. Messy, but feasible. I've seen more than one track with an "underpass" situation, where they've cut the table to allow the road to go under the primary level. I can't see any reason that using foam would prevent this. You would also be able to add layers to create more elevations, and dig into the excess slabs to create landscaping, and either cover it with plaster cloth (or whatever) or just paint right over it, depending on the texture you want.

As for noise, the more rigid something is, the less noise is will dampen, so be sure to experiment with a small piece to make sure the noise reduction is what you want, or is at least acceptable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Silicon anti-slide mats intended for car trunks are not that expensive and would provide a lot of noise damping I think. Available in any car-accessories store. But they would not look nice.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
QUOTE (Koala2 @ 6 Jun 2011, 23:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Silicon anti-slide mats intended for car trunks are not that expensive and would provide a lot of noise damping I think. Available in any car-accessories store. But they would not look nice.
I've actually taken a step back from the foam sheets idea and am currently cutting strips of GripMat to fit as unobtrousivly(sp?) under track sections as possible, rather than covering the whole table bed with it.

So far I've done about 75% of the layout and it's cut down the rumble considerably.
I'll hopefully be continuing this evening.

The underpass idea is now on the back-burner.

My thanks once again for the input here.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
QUOTE Would grass mats not work? And they'd make it look realistic.

It would, but would be expensive. I looked into this for my table and ended up using the grey underlay which is about 3mm thick. Its used for laminate flooring, cheap and dampens the sound a treat! Some of the cars are nearly silent!

I have covered the whole table, laid the track and have the intention of using 6-7mm ply or mdf to 'fill' in the areas around and inside the track.This makes the track level flush with the infill and outside areas of the track making it look more realistic.

Well that's the theory, in practice I am still changing the track configurations and now have decided to put the house up for sale! So this will be put on hold for a while yet!

The next house will have a dedicated home built slot car shed......or summerhouse as it's been passed off to the wife!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thats the problem. By the time you get a permanent track finished, you need so much more space for the track and for exposing the car collection that you need to move to a bigger house each time.
Should hav bought that old facatory building and install a decent loft - but only one - in it, keeping the rest of the space for slots ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts