SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
9,850 Posts
Yes, but... some of the cheapo Hong Kong cars have lots of character.

In fact I think Speedking even did these in both belt-drive and gear driven versions...

Don

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The motor looks like some that we discussed on Don's Hong Kong thread a year or two ago. Probably made for low voltage, but a similar one (JEI HK-52) that I used in a homebuilt car back in the 70s survived several years of occasional running on 12V.
Rob J

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
That motor was featured in any number of plastic toys you could buy in Woolworths c.1965!
Anyone remember Scalecraft models? Made in Twickenham, I'm proud to say. I had the Isle of Wight ferry in my bath. Proper paddle wheels. Pulled plenty of them apart to see how they worked. Never thought of putting one in a slot car.

·
Administrator
9,850 Posts
It's the Kako 3V motor, mainly made for battery toys, but used on a lot of early slot cars, including Strombecker (front-mounted, with shaft extension - see early Strommie thread), and Eldon/Ungar (direct drive rear wheels and regular contrate setup).

I think Philippe or somebody finally figured out that Kako was a Mabuchi brand, but not sure... and as said above, these motors were in thousands of different kinds of toys - but they also made a full lineup of all different sizes, some used in early R/C models.

If yours survived operation at 12V, even occasional, you got lucky Rob!

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts