SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this on YouTube, it's a shame I don't speak German (at least I think it's German)

It's a step too far for me, especially as I am still struggling to get variable speed pace cars to work consistantently! However I'm sure the techies amongst us would find it interesting & it could be applied to any digital system.

Graham

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
For the fun of it, yeah, but it would not work well for actual racing. The POV footage that looks fast, is still at painfully slow speeds for a slot car. At actual racing speeds, POV footage is unwatchable, let alone trying to control the car via the FPV.

· Registered
174 Posts
Came across this on YouTube, it's a shame I don't speak German (at least I think it's German)

Hi Graham, you can translate the language in subtitles pretty easily. First turn on closed captioning, then after you do that go to settings and find "Subtitles/CC' and turn on "auto-translate" then scroll down to choose English. The translation isn't 100% perfect but it does a good job.

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
It's nothing to do with how good the FPV gear is, it's how fast a slot car moves on a track the size of a room.

Here's a video I did ages ago for the SlotForum Test Track we had some fun with. It starts with POV footage on a car going around the track. Note that the camera was on top of the car, completely throwing off the COG, and I was NOT driving it anywhere near top speed because of that.

Would you be able to control the car from that point of view? Really? I'd like to see that.

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
Exactly!

I can see the fun in it, just trundling around the track at low speeds, feeling like you're in the car from a visual standpoint. Toss in some engine sounds to go with it.

For racing? Nope. Neither the camera nor the sounds.

· ParrotGod
12,602 Posts
When I watch on board camera footage on slot car videos I feel motion sick and it is far from realistic.

Maybe it might work on huge tracks with wide radius corners but for sure at a slower speed than you would normally have.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
The video is in German... they pretty much just go through how they went about building it...

One thing I thought of... with this being on digital (and the set up requires digital for constant power [he points out that changing lanes causes cut outs that he will fix using capacitors...])

How do you know when someone is behind or beside you?

In analog you don't have to care (unless you have crossovers) but I can't imagine this working with digital unless someone is telling you it is safe to change lanes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.