SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Greg Gaub
17,530 Posts

· Greg Gaub
17,530 Posts
Sand those tires, Mark! Why they come unprepared for racing, I don't know. Even with magnets in, cars will work better with a little buzz on sandpaper than without. If you can get them sanded evenly around and across, you'll be golden going magless. A drop of oil soaked in will make them even better. Do that before spending out on replacement tires for everything.
Also, depending on the paint and how it's applied, you'll have more grip than you know what to do with, even with stock unsanded tires. For example, I painted my routed test track with flat interior house paint (latex/emulsion) using a roller, and the very slight knap texture, coupled with the "rubbery" nature of the paint itself, created a very grippy surface that all of my cars run exceptionally well on, even ones that have terrible traction on other tracks (see AutoArt).

But yeah, just pulling the magnets from a Scaley car and putting it on Sport track will often be somewhat disappointing.

· Greg Gaub
17,530 Posts
I don't know what sewing machine oil is, specifically, but it could probably work. Scaley Sport track is on the slippery side, especially compared to classic or Ninco. But, it's all about the tire or tire prep, really. Sanded and oiled stock tires will grip nicely on Sport track. Silicones even better. I like urethane tires, as well as some of slot.it's softer rubbers, or NSR tires, but I don't always want a lot of grip, such as for rally cars.
I'd give the sewing machine oil a try. Just a drop on each tire, smeared around as well as you can, then let it soak in. If it doesn't look dry after an hour or so, wipe of as much as you can and wait a little longer. Once the look of oil is gone, the tire will be ready to run, and very grippy. Depending on the oil, this can last a day, or a week, or more.
Of course, cleaning is still necessary, so have your tape or wet rag or whatever handy to clean off the dust and such.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.