SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Im sure there are posts on this but I cant get the search engine to to score.
Has anyone had experience interfacing scaley track and routered wood. Im interested in various ways of doing so and experiences of members on this forum, ie is it worth the hassle, pitfalls etc.

Rather than dropping the scaley and gooing to full wood I thought Id make some simple wood sections, thus free up scaley track so we can use it elsewhere.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that,
Looking at this photo

it looks like you removed the scaley metal track pin and cut the plastic tags off and just butted it up against the wood yes?

re mag
yeah we are aware that mag or non mag becomes an issue. We are still playing/debating with this.
At the moment I intend on making some wood straights which dont need the mag as much. Its only corners on the end of straights (where the car has built up momentum) that really need the mag for breaking and holding onto the corner. This can be fixed a little with banking the curves? Or using scaley track in these spots. Once the cars momentum is down non mag cars seem to be ok as long as the track is not super tight.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Michael, I was just about to start a new topic or at least start looking into some posts re the mag v magless, then read your post above so will answer here first.

First of all I have removed a mag from a pair of identical cars,(so one with and one without) to compare. I really dont recall scaley being so slippery ok it was 20 years ago no mag then but without the mag in this new scaly set it has massive wheel spin(I dont recall ever having this trouble) on straights and slides out at sniff on corners. I was still able to lap in 9sec as opposed to 5(magged). Magged up it just felt unrealistic, super fast and really not much skill. un magged tho it was just tedious, unrealistic in the opposite way.

Something in between would be nice.

I moved the magged position to middle and that was getting closer to what Id consider fun and still a challenge. But really in order to use routed track and remove the hasle of magbraid or magpaint etc Id like to maybe add weight or just get slightly better grip. I was thinking of playing with the throttle settings too because Im using only the first 1/3 of the throttle anything more and it just wheel spins.
Semed to have trouble with a crossover too with non mag car. Just wacks into centre. could be a dodgy bit of scaley.

I did a sort of test with digital fish scales. Not really accurate/resolution enough tho, still interesting.
Placed a car with two little hooks under the rear wheel arches. hooks are tied togther with twine.(fishing gear come in handy
and then up to the scales.
Lifting the car till its(mag) just lets go I get about 120grams. Lifting from a piece of wood is about 40g. So im saying that the mag adds about 80g of downward force. (about the same as the cars weight(86 in this case) funnily enough).
Of course we must keep in mind this is not the same as a lead weight of 80g. The mag imparts no momentum where as a lead weight would. I think.

Please comment on my thoughts below.

I need to look at a grippy paint to put on the MDF.
Wider sweeping corners,
grippier tyres
weight near the rear wheel.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Greg, confirmation on what I was begining to think. I should have mentioned that yes I made myself a little tryre sander and have been checking rims for plastic mould tags and sanding both front and rear tyres and rounding the edges. I have noticed massive improvements.(magged)

When you say oil do you mean sewing machine oil? I havent tried that tip yet. A little scared
oil on tyres goes against my instinct :lol. But I understand the concept of softening the rubber.

Me thinks scaley track is slippery. I was telling Kev last night that I reckoned the paint roller was the way to go
I have some test peices (MDF) Im in the process of making now and will experiment.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep new tyres trued up and running much better. will try oil next.
Also reduced the power to 88% so its got better resolution down low and thus better control of intital wheel spin.

We are getting there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.