SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday fellas

I recently bought a new XLC and as the topic states it only works every now and then. if i wiggle the paddles during a race they work 80% of the time. I sprayed it with wd40 and it worked for 150 laps. Ive loosened the back plate which kinda helped.

Whats next? its getting power as the cars dont stop as they drive over it only the paddles dont always work.
cheers guys

·
Registered
454 Posts
G'day Mike,

I have this problem with one of my XLC's also, and it is also the newest one I have. It won't change from left to right but no problems right to left. I have checked the mechanisms are working under the flippers, gave it a good clean/vacuum and everything seems in order, nothing stopping the flipper from moving freely. Thought it might have had something to do with the braids but definately not as I have tried running a few different cars over the XLC with tidy braids and have had the same result. The best way I seem to get the flipper moving correctly is to move the flipper so the car will change lanes from left to right and run the car for a few laps whilst changing lanes, after a few laps the car will change lanes like it should but still not sure why it does this every single time I fire the track up. Had the problem with another XLC when I first started playing around with the digital setup which I found that one of the pins on the lane change mechanisms underneath had come out of its slot, easy fix and haven't had a problem with it ever since. Anyway mate its got me stuffed as to why its not working correctly, hopefully someone else on the forum has an idea on how to fix this.

Cheers

Matt

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,289 Posts
I've got an XLC that is a bit reluctant to change you out of the RH lane.
Again, I've been through the hoovering/cleaning/lubing loop and not had much success. I will definitely pop it open and look at all the pins though and even check for a dry joint - i hadn't thought of either so thank you for that.

to remedy, I also manually flip a few times and it normally clears the problem for that session.

will keep a close eye to see if you get a solution that could help me, so thanks for starting this thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bit of an update.

I took off the covers and had a look at the mechanism, seems pretty weak IMHO. From my RC car racing experience a plastic arm between two metal actuators is a recipe for carp. Also there is more play in there than a schoolyard at smoko time. Seems like a small metal bar is in need of some fabrication.

So far I have added a medium CA to where the metal arms go into the plastic sliding arms to reduce the possibility of them popping out. The CA will also stiffen the plastic (and make it brittle but this shouldnt be a issue) and take away some slop (ie plastic bending) note that these parts were dobbed with some sort of adhesive from the factory as the backing plate on mine is covered in a sticky goop (teknamickle term) which seems to be hinding the movement of the flipper.

So my immidiate actions are, CA the plastic sliding arms to the metal actuators, clean off the goop from backing plate and lightly sand away some plastic from the plate. Add some grease (not wd40) between the sliding arms and backing plate for lubrication. Test like crazy. If it still plays up I will look at wiring up an old analouge power supply straight to the XLC and note if it changes at all.

It would be nice to get some upgraded solinoids for some extra strength.

This week I will make a small aluminium slider arm and solder the solinoid arms into it to reduce the slop, should be fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The XLC got a massive 3hr test today and worked as it should thoughout. It didnt need any "paddle wiggling" to get it to function. Worked on time, everytime. Massive improvement.

The grease is making the paddles run smooth and effortlessly. The CA is holding the plastic arm tight up with the two solinoid arms with no more slop. An aluminuim arm may not be needed as the CA is doing a good job of stiffening it all up.
After a week I will pull the cover off again and check the condition of the grease.

Sweet XLC SORTED!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bit of grease hey, if only scaley thought about that
. I'll pull mine apart and fix the new XLC tomorrow, might as well do the other 4 while Im at it. Have you got the hang of the APB yet and the SSDC software, or are you just running laps for 3 hrs at a time. HAHA

Matt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha nah Matt got the hang of it now. The whole event thing is pretty good with points etc Although I've been using the scaley tower more as you can set the pace cars to not enter the pit while they lane change around the rest of the track and the cars go faster using the scaley tower. Will prob just stick with the scaley gear until ssdc includes that stuff aswell.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi SlotForum. I've been following this forum for a couple of years and it's past time I joined in. So let's go..

I have two XLCs. They both came with white grease around the moving parts. One of the flippers of the newer one stopped working a few months ago. I cleaned away the white grease from both XLCs cos it seemed a bit gluey to me. I put a little bit of light oil on the fiddly bits and all has been well since.

I reckon the scaley grease gets gluey with time and the "wiggle the flipper at first" solution just overcomes the glueiness - so the real test is: how well does it work after its been sitting for a few weeks? . I'm not even sure I needed the oil. Maybe just getting rid of the scaley grease would fix the problem.

·
Administrator
10,138 Posts
Good tip racerunner, and welcome to the forum (first post!)

Hi Mash, are you not just looking at top speed being less in SSDC as you only get to the fastest speed when you are nearly out of fuel? I'll have to recheck this, but there is no reason why the cars can be any faster using the tower...

QUOTE (Mash13 @ 22 Nov 2011, 00:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and the cars go faster using the scaley tower.

·
Administrator
10,138 Posts
Good tip racerunner, and welcome to the forum (first post!)

Hi Mash, are you not just looking at top speed being less in SSDC as you only get to the fastest speed when you are nearly out of fuel? I'll have to recheck this, but there is no reason why the cars can be any faster using the tower...

QUOTE (Mash13 @ 22 Nov 2011, 00:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and the cars go faster using the scaley tower.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey Mike,

Pulled the back off the XLC again and put a drop of oil onto the 'plungers' as I call them and has come up the treat, everythings working as it should. racerunner-welcome to the forum,good to see another Aussie on the forum. My XLC had no grease on it whatsoever so now I can understand why the XLC was not functioning correctly and seemed to be binding, all good now though with a spot of the good oil.

Matt

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Is that real lubricating oil or the magical INOX?

Cheers!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey sealevel,
I probably could have used the magical inox as I've got plenty of it but actually used a product called Super Lube (Multi-Purpose Synthetic Oil with PTFE) which I purchased to use with my Professor Motor controller for my analogue setup. Probably used the controller for 30 mins total before I upgraded to the APB, great upgrade from the scaley analogue controllers but no good with the digital setup (one day maybe). I use this oil on all my cars on the front/rear bearings and on the motor,plenty of great uses for it , and you only use a very small amount. Now I know that it works well with the lane change 'plungers' I now have another use for it. Not sure what type of grease Mike (MASH13) has used though but I'd say any oil/grease is better then none at all as my XLC's had.

Matt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RikoRocket - I have the max speed when full setting to 100% so the amount of fuel shouldnt effect the speed. When I use the scaley tower the cars are faster by a few 100ths of a second.

Matt & Sealevel - I used good old castrol marine grease that I use on the outboard motor on the tinnie! But I would just use anything greasey really. Even travoltas hair would do it!

·
Administrator
10,138 Posts
Thanks Mash. I rarely use the tower so had not seen anything different, but a few people have been on the forum saying the same thing so I need to investigate what is going wrong. There is no fundamental reason that a car should be slower than with the tower if the fuel effect is disabled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts