Yes2580.65%
No619.35%

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Guys.

Thought I needed a new forum for this.

In case you have not seen the posts, several people have been scratchbuilding the very difficult to do 60s F1s and having a lot of run. These guys are all over, but post here and said it would be neat to have a race for them.

I offered to host a proxy race.

I currently have the locals involved and have 4 local tracks and a number of experienced drivers for this. EM proposed adding in two of the Baltimore tracks for a tentitive 6 race proxy series. A proposed start in October to give all the guys who want to have time.
Rules are simple so far: 1) for F1 cars from 1964 thorugh 1970. (this is the period where the tires go to 10 then 12" wide). This simplifies things as I believe with these cars, TIRE WIDTH is the critical variable. Rules: Scale, proof is up to builder.

But now I have Questions:
1)Should we add period Indy cars?
2)Right now, I have only posted this here, a mostly british board, should we open this to the world. I dont have contact with everyone one, so if you want this more international, make suggestions.

3)Do we want to add a second catagory. To digress, a number of manufacturers such as MRRC/Airix did period cars that are decidedly NOT scale. Should we add these? Or have a separate catagory for them (silk purse out of sow's ear)? Now, the BRM P261 by Airfix IS pretty scale, and the old Clubmans, pre wing, work well, so I guess it could be in either group.

As I am doing this for YOU, please weigh in.

Prof.Fate

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
This sounds great, Prof. Great of you to take it on.
If it was down to me, I'd exclude Indy cars. I'd prefer to see pure, reasonably realistic G.P. grids. And I would have no quarrel with MRRC cars and other ready builts that are in the spirit of the thing. And those Beardog cars!
I suspect, though surely about to be proved wrong, that there's very little you can do with these cars to get a radical performance advantage other than set everything up nicely.
And anyway- is it really to be about winning? Or getting a bunch of pretty cars together on a track?

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
I think this is a great idea, and also would prefer it restricted to formula one cars of the periods you suggest. I would also like to see a class from 1960 to 64 but I may be a lone voice on this.

I think it only fair that this is opened it up to include other Forums as well to make it truly International, or how about a SlotForum Vs SCI Team race?.

Also it would be great to include a few rounds in the UK on both wood and Plexy Track, and how about a certain track in Switzerland?

Very decent of you Prof. to offer to run this as I know how much work is involved in running one race, let alone a Series.....

What do others think?

Regards

Alan

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Rocky It sounds great let us know when you want the cars sending,Keep it to an f1 as some of the indy cars sizes would be advantageous but most of the period f1s are of a similar size.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's funny you guys have mentioned this. I was only talking to Phil down here in Taz about the number of scrachbuilt 60's currently being built and the opportunity to host a race for them. This solves that question. I'm sure Phil would be in and I'd certainly be interested depending on prospective dates.

My thoughts on the questions are
1)Should we add period Indy cars? - No
2)Right now, I have only posted this here, a mostly british board, should we open this to the world. I dont have contact with everyone one, so if you want this more international, make suggestions. - Yes

3)Do we want to add a second catagory. - No.

This would also be a great event to have concours equal to the number of points to be gained for each round making scale & accurate cars important.

Just my 2 bobs worth

Dave

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Sounds good, Rocky! Count me in.

1) Should we add period Indy cars? - No

2) Right now, I have only posted this here, a mostly british board, should we open this to the world? - Yes

3) Do we want to add a second catagory? - No

Presumably vacuum-formed bodies will be permitted?

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in!

I back up what both Russel and Dave have already said,please no Indy cars!

Look forward to it.

Cheers Terry

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have to admit that when this proxy event was first mooted my imagination went into overdrive. Visions of my little Honda out for a leisurely seaside cruise around David's stunningly beautiful (but like Russell's Mrs. h sweater - yet to be built) scenic sixties track. Next thing I find, it's no longer to be confined to the old sod (no, not you David - that's the Prof's affectionate term for England's green and pleasant you know) and Alan is also suggesting a Ryder Cup for slot cars! I think the Tasman presence rules that out though.

Well OK! It'll be odd not seeing my car for all that time tho' - just the occasional picture and a line in a report of how it could have managed 17th had the wheel not fallen off on lap 3!

So roolz - some Indy's do seem to have the unfair advantage (witness the Allstate) so NO to them - unless I build one before October in which case they're fine of course

...and I'd let Russell sneak one of his vac-forms in. I'm sure it'll look the business!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi

Well, I would continue the voting..

The Allstate would not be legal as a car in any case!

OK. F1s. If you guys decide on an earlier 60-64 class, as I said, the tire size compatibility is the issue, fine.

I am not on every board...pass the word around to places you think would be interested.

"World Championships" Right now, I think we need to keep it simple. IF THIS WORKS, we can expand this. Or just have a U.S. series, followd by a British Series followed by a Tassie... If there is insterest. But right now I KNOW I can get 6 tracks and enough drivers.

I will work up a scale points system probably based on the FAC rules. The idea being Scale winner, track winner and a combined.

OK, so far?

Fate

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd opt for including the 60-64...it would force me to get my Ferrari 156 Sharknose done.

Stan

p.s. I'm pretty sure we could add another venue or two here, using some of the club tracks we race on...

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
How do I let myself get sucked into these games? -Of course, I'll play. But, for those of you who have not had the pleasure(and this is a well chosen word, not sarcasm),of racing against the formidable Prof. Fate, let me tell you what is going to happen:

We will all beaver away with soldering iron, Dremel and paint pot building one or two cars for the competition. We will consider both favorite prototypes and oddly dimensioned cars that we either love or think may offer some advantage and hopefully share around our ideas and results.

As the appointed time approaches, the Professor will pull out several compartmented plastic boxes containing somewhere between 15 and 40 cars of the era. and select one or two contenders. These cars will fall into one of two general classes. The may be apparently worn but well cared for stock examples of the cars produced at the time, by Atlas, Monogram, Supershells etc. or they might be commercial injection molded bodies or glass bodies by Bacon or Fitzpatrick mounted on brass and wire chassis that look like the result of a production line malfunction in a paper clip factory.

Whatever their provenance, they will share certain characteristics: The chassis will be square and the axles perfectly aligned; the gears will mesh very smoothly; the guides will be vertical with no wobble or slop and the guide height adjusted (unless a hinged front end obviates the need for this) so that the car rests on the braids with the front wheels just skimming the track. Despite claims that the silicone rears tires were hand-cast on the pitching deck of a cargo ship enroute from Manila to Texas, they will be round and true.

The car will not be blindingly fast but will handle beautifully and be easy for anyone to drive - at least in part the result of having been raced and sorted for a minimum of 25 years!

And finally, it will beat most of us!

By all means, let's play - I certainly shall (for followers of the "Peanuts" cartoon series - I'm like Charlie Brown and the football) - but don't say I didn't warn you

EM

With apologies to Virgil: "Timeo Sicilianos et dona ferrentes"

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Well have you boys started something!

My vote no Indy cars.
I don't car what years but the tyre problem would give advantage to later cars.I would like to see only the 1.5 and 3 litre cars run.

I only have 6 or 7 bodies to select from! You guys have inspired me to get off my butt and get one built.

Scale cars with scale wheels and tyres,that would limit the horsepower that could be put to the track.

Track type would be better if they were run only on the shorted tracks to avoid too much damage.

Count me in.

Dave and I would be only too pleased to run one of more rounds down under.We would certainly use the same points system even if we run it as a Tasman Cup event .

I like the idea of running proxy cars for more than one or two races.

Phil

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Thanks for the warning, EM, but I have no aspirations of winning anything. I just like the idea of seeing a whole bunch of pretty little cigar tubes sitting on the track.
By the way, how is Donna Ferentes these days? She was a popular lass at my school. More specifically, round the cycle sheds at my school.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Yes Howmet I too remember Donna she moved up north in her teenage years,how well I remember standing on the moors with her , her long dark hair blowing in the wind ,and her to proud to run after it!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
By the way, my M7A currently has gripless rear tyres, an overpowered Scaleauto motor, a flexi-rear end which allows the gears to disengage (preventing excessive wheelspin or indeed, actual track speed) and the back wheels to steer randomly, and a 'floating' guide, due to countless changes in order to find one that fits under the nose.
Will I get it sorted?
Will I get more interested in building the Lotus 43 H16 with Beardog Mini-motor?
And will that one end up in much the same state?

Answers on a postcard to Mr Shortattentionspan...

Oh look! A butterfly! Has anyone heard from Harry Porsche yet?

1 - 20 of 681 Posts