SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
...correct, AFAIK they are red, green, yellow and blue. There is a HP round anywhere, where all the colour codes are listed - from 2 lanes up to 12 ... Did not find it - so sorry for teh late confirmation / reply...

·
Registered
714 Posts
There IS a standard somewhere - almost certainly American based.
Hazy recollections that green and blue can be problematic to distinguish for many people - the shades need careful choice and the two should NEVER be next to each other, no matter what.
A combination of sometimes poor lighting and a surprisingly high incidence of male bue/green color blindness are the good reasons for this.
For four lanes, it's easy to omit either blue or green and then the problem cannot arise. Don't forget that black and white are also colors, tho one member occasionally exhibits some difficulty in distinguishing between these two too!

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are eight HOPRA (H0 Professional Race Association) standard colors: Red, White, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Green, Purple, and Black. Avoid using geen and yellow for a 4-laner - use white instead. That's one of the results from my quick research on the web.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
In a sense the colour order doesn't matter at all - with the proviso of clearly distinguishing between blue, green and yellow and not positioning any two of those three side by side.
But I am fairly sure that the 'standard colours' are actually recommended to be used in a certain order, dependent on how many lanes etc. Apparently it makes for easier visualisations and comparisons when discussing races/tracks and that makes quite a bit of sense. Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on the list either!
Surely someone will before the day is out.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
The accepted standard order of lane colours, starting with the inside lane is: Black, Purple, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Green, White, and Red.

There appears to be no widespread standard for tracks with less than 8 lanes except that the colours be chosen from the above list and be used in the same order. Common schemes for 4 lane tracks are Yellow, Green, White, and Red, from inside to outside, or Yellow, Blue, White, and Red.

Note that blue and yellow are side-by-side in the original standard - not sure if yellow is a problem really, it may be blue and green that need to be separated.

·
Phil B.
3,749 Posts
Just a thought- are lane colours going to work on a digital system, it`ll be a marshals nightmare putting cars that have gone off back on to the right lane!
God knows they get shouted at enough now. Cheers - Phil B.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Surely, much simpler to go for lane numbers, marked around the track. This is what we have done at 'Swissrace Bahn'.
I dislike the fact that some tracks seem multicoloured because they insist on lining the whole of each lane with a coloured strip each side of the slot.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
In the old ECRA days it used to be (from the inside (Red, Green, Yellow,Blue) with segment markings every 12"...God I'm getting old!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 18 Jan 2004, 08:16 PM)Surely, much simpler to go for lane numbers, marked around the track. This is what we have done at 'Swissrace Bahn'.
I dislike the fact that some tracks seem multicoloured because they insist on lining the whole of each lane with a coloured strip each side of the slot.
Good question here Swiss!
We currently use numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, we want to change because too much communication is required to put a car back on the lane. The marshall has to TRY and remember which car goes on which lane, or the driver has to call his lane number. Too many variables for confusion ans SLOW marshalling. With coloured lanes all that is required is a tag or piece of tape on the car and that's it. Faster smoother marshalling and no communication required.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, the norm is colored tape stuck to the UNDERSIDE of the car so that there can be no confusion with the car's decoration. I must say I don't see the point in painting or taping BOTH sides of the slot - it's quite unnecessary hard work and expense.

For UK readers, track tape is probably available from the better slot suppliers.
But you might also wish to visit
SlotCarPortalShop

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 18 Jan 2004, 08:25 PM)In the old ECRA days it used to be (from the inside (Red, Green, Yellow,Blue)
The problem with this of course is that many people are colour blind and can't distinguish red from green! At Oaklands we used white instead of green for this reason.

Coop

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Turismo @ 19 Jan 2004, 04:00 AM)We currently use numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, we want to change because too much communication is required to put a car back on the lane. The marshall has to TRY and remember which car goes on which lane, or the driver has to call his lane number. Too many variables for confusion ans SLOW marshalling. With coloured lanes all that is required is a tag or piece of tape on the car and that's it. Faster smoother marshalling and no communication required.
Why not use numbered stickers? Just a few sheets of round adhesive labels and a black marker pen should sort you out. I've not seen this done 'in the flesh' but a clubmember raced and marshalled in this fashion at the Minden Blue King in Germany.

Coop

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Mecoprop @ 19 Jan 2004, 12:19 PM)Yes, the norm is colored tape stuck to the UNDERSIDE of the car
Tell me you're pulling my leg here...

Coop

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It can certainly be done with numbers.
But there remains the chance of confusion with the car's racing number, if it already has one in its livery, plus possible confusion with the distance numbers marked on the track, if the track has them.
It's for these reasons that colour coding is generally held to be less problematic, though colour blindness obviously is a potential problem there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts