SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give in and buy a Scalextric Camaro... everyone loves them, and I had a competitive run in our club's Muscle class last week using one. But most of the liveries are a bit average. Those that aren't so average seem to have grossly exaggerated values in the minds of their vendors.

The solution? Buy a really horrid one and relivery it.

The question was first, which livery. I had a look around and found that my favourite NASCAR driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr, has a collection of muscle cars including an orange and black '73 and a metallic grey '67... but no '69.

Then I remembered this one... a special build by Richard Childress Racing in 2009. Oh yes, the Intimidator Camaro.

This was a serious piece of kit, built to mark the 40th anniversary of the '69 Camaro in a partnership between RCR and Total Performance Inc. The result was spectacular - the test car lapped the Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, Oklahoma 5sec faster than a Ford GT and 3sec faster than a Nissan GTR!

Of the 25 cars planned - I don't know how many $300,000 Camaros were built in the depths of the recession, but I'm guessing not all of them! - the most special one was chassis #3. This was the beast of the family, powered by nothing less than the engine run by RCR in Dale Earnhardt Sr's 2000 Daytona car. The car was auctioned by Childress with Tony Stewart to raise money for charity. I think it topped $550,000.

So then, I found the current lurid orange and blue Camaro for a snort below £30, which was a start. I also saw that Scalextric released a 'Big Red' version of the Camaro last year, complete with the wheels from a Porsche GT3. Which means those wheels - the closest match for the Intimidator - are legal to race. Result!

I found a knackered old GT3 at auction for pennies, and now have the car, the wheels and the incentive to build this one quickly - the last round of our Muscle class is next week! As a result I've already stripped the body and will be photographing progress on what I hope will be a fun little build...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I always think the Scaley '69 Camaro doesn't look quite right, the roof line is too high compared with the real car, used to see them quite a lot in California, Nevada and Arizona, I saw one on the way to Gaydon the other week and it confirmed my thoughts about the roof line.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, here's the progress from the last few days. First the body was taken apart and the tampo stripped off with Boots nail polish remover:

Primer sprayed on:

Black paint on and interior under transformation (it actually took two attempts to get the black right, with a dose of paint stripping and sanding in between):

Mummified with masking tape, this is the most nervous bit as the second colour goes on:

Phew! Got away with that one!

And now Dale Sr. really looks the part in my faux-Goodwrench overalls:

Now it's the detailing and tidying on things like the wheel inserts while I try and convince my computer to talk to the printer. I've got one sheet of decal paper left, and it's going to be covered in red pinstripes ready for highlighting the silver parts.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trial fit with all the black bits done.

The more I look at it, the more I think that the red coachlines might be a step too far, gilding the lilly or just to chuffing fiddly for words! I think that with the red interior it can kind of live without the extra lines like the real thing (below) but what do you guys reckon?

I just hope that by Wednesday my Intimidator can do the job and run with the pack. I mean, would you want that thing bumping your rear fender on the last lap?

Well, probably not as intimidating as the real thing:

All together now... "Bad to the bone, Bad to the bone, B-b-b-b-b-bad, B-b-b-b-b-bad..."

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
QUOTE (DJ @ 11 Jun 2011, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you already know the answer, you HAVE to do them.

Thanks DJ - yes I kind of knew I wasn't going to give myself an easy ride on this one!

Tried using Paint (software, not the Matisse sort!) to create the stripes but none came out fine enough. Solution? Red ballpoint pen and ruler on some clear decal paper. Looked fine to start with but faded a little under lacquer, with the result that if you squinted you might see something was there:

Second set of decals required. Looks better when they're doubled-up:

Now I've just got to do the curvy bits... twice!

Hi Chris, glad you like it. I can't do the boot spoiler as that would be a modification and would have the Intimidator sent to sit in the naughty corner writing 'I must not modify my cars' 100 times. Anyway, NASCAR's abandoned the practice so we'll keep it as it is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.