SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just discovered the world of slot cars. Actually, my business partner did and sent me a link to a YouTube video of them--I was amazed! The original idea was that we'd setup the track for our customers at the shop to entertain themselves.

Oh, a little about me: I have 14 years experience working in technology, I also own a shop that specializes in building road racing and performance cars, and I am an amateur road racer myself. Thus digital slot cars appeals both to the racer and the geek in me.

I picked up a Scaley set off of CraigsList. It included over a dozen cars, 100' of classic and sport track, bridges, banked turns, lots of curbing, R1-R4 corners, 4 car digital PB, pit game, multiple XLC and CLC, multiple pit line pieces, and more! When we received the track, my business partner and I decided we should setup up a small oval track to test the system. Well, the small oval turned into a 65' track with multiple LCs, pit row, and elevation changes. We threw on a couple of cars and started racing. I had selected a Ferrari F430 challenge car. I placed in on the track, pulled the trigger, and swiftly sent the car flying off the track and across the room. It left the track with such force that the airfoil broke off. I just looked at my business partner, smiled, and said "well, they are fast, but it seems you have to drive them more like real cars. I guess I'll slow down for turn one this time." We spent the next several hours racing.

We had purchased the SSD set as a novelty. We thought it would just be something to entertain the customers, but we were hooked. My business partner just kept saying, "This is a lot more fun that it should be!" And he is right--who would think that a "toy" could provide so much racing fun for "grown up" men?

Most of the cars that came with the set we purchased were the durable type from Scaley, but there were a few nicer cars from Fly included. Understanding the difference in quality of the cars, we quickly got online and started ordering some additional cars. Soon the FedEx man was bringing us new Fly and Slot.It cars. Realizing that most the cars were analog, I started looking at the options for converting them to work with our SSD system. This lead me to SlotForum and many hours of reading...

At this point I'll interject that I understand that slot car roots are in analog racing. I know that there are lots of slot car purists that scoff at the digital systems. Personally, I find digital systems much more appealing. There is much more realism with a digital system. Running multiple cars and planning passes makes the experience much more like real racing. The LCs also allow you to plan your line on different sections of the track to yield faster lap times. Additionally, the track just looks silly when you have 4+ lanes around the entire track. I just can't ever imagine myself enjoying racing on a analog track as much as I do a digital track.

Back on point: after spending some time lurking on the slot car forums, I quickly realized I needed an APB. I found a great deal on a Digital Platinum system that includes the 7204, 8 digital cars, and of course more track. Once it arrives, I'll update the firmware and start using SSDC. We have also decided to dedicate an entire room at the shop to our track. This will allow us to have a permanently installed track with flat screen displays on the wall for timing and scoring.

Since I would like to begin to use SSDC, I need a couple of items. I of course need a PC cable and I'd like to have my Pit Lane Game converted to a Pit Pro. Is there a resource in the US for these items or am I better off sourcing these from the UK?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

-bj meyer

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi Clownshoe,

Welcome to TheForum where you will find plenty of help and many sources of information.

If you look at the SSDC website you will find a source for the cables, updating software and firmware for the APB. RichG and Rikorocket (users on this site) provide the upgrades for the Pit-Pro.

The other thing that you will find is that there is much to learn and understand; the flood of information can be overwhelming.

Happy racing - Greg

·
Prof I T
11,197 Posts
hi and welcome to digital slot racing.

The contacts for the pc cables and pitpro are RichG and Rikorocket,they are both regulars on this forum and will quickly answer any questions you have.

A pm should see you sorted promptly with the needed parts and prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies!

QUOTE (GregK @ 31 Dec 2011, 08:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...RichG and Rikorocket (users on this site) provide the upgrades for the Pit-Pro.
QUOTE (bigbird @ 31 Dec 2011, 08:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The contacts for the pc cables and pitpro are RichG and Rikorocket

It seems that RichG and Riko are the masters of the SSD upgrades. I've read a ton of their posts!

I was hoping there was someone state side that I could procure these items from. Mainly, because I am impatient and excited. I mean I've know that slot cars existed for 3 weeks and I've already dedicated a room and begun designing a permanent track!

I had seen someone that was doing PB Pro conversions in the US: TXSlotracer. He is listed as being in Fort Worth, TX. That is only a few miles from me. Anyone know if he is still active in the SSD community?

QUOTE (GregK @ 31 Dec 2011, 08:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The other thing that you will find is that there is much to learn and understand; the flood of information can be overwhelming.

The wealth of information and amount of customization is what I find so appealing about digital slot cars. Between by experience building and managing multi-million dollar IT infrastructures and applications and building real race cars, I find most of the concepts pretty easy to grasp. I could see where digital slot cars could be intimidating to the average hobbyist though. That said, I'm still in the phase of "there is a lot I don't know that I don't know" when it comes to digital slots. I'm sure that I'll be lost, confused, and bewildered soon enough. That's why I am grateful I found this amazing forum!

As I mentioned above I am a club racer. I have several race cars: Porsche 944, BMW M Coupe, and several BMW E30s. I would like to make 1/32nd replicas of all my real race cars. It is easy to find 1/32 BMW E30s, but I haven't found much in the way of 944's or the M Coupe.

(BTW, my screen name and the name of my shop, Clown Shoe Motorsports, pays homage to the BMW Z3 M Coupe)

Here's a Shot of my BMW M Coupe:

And here's one of the 944 (It's the Black one taking the checkered flag for the win.
):

Any ideas where I could find these cars?

Thanks,
-bj meyer

·
Prof I T
11,197 Posts
hi
i believe tx slotracer was the agent/modifier of the old six car pb turning them into the pbpro unit.

As far as i am aware he has nothing to do with pitpro or the supply of cables.

Rich or Riko offer a very efficient service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 31 Dec 2011, 10:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i believe tx slotracer was the agent/modifier of the old six car pb turning them into the pbpro unit.

As far as i am aware he has nothing to do with pitpro or the supply of cables.

Rich or Riko offer a very efficient service.

Ah... thanks for the info!

I have already been exchanging PMs with Riko.

Thanks again,
-bj meyer

·
Administrator
10,140 Posts
QUOTE (clownshoe @ 31 Dec 2011, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would like to make 1/32nd replicas of all my real race cars. It is easy to find 1/32 BMW E30s, but I haven't found much in the way of 944's or the M Coupe.

There was a lightweight RTR 944 made by Scalextric Spain SRS1 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCALEXTRIC-SRS-7...=item2c61cf85c3 or you can get resin bodies http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-32-Porsche-944...=item2a16de6b5d
The M sport, well the closest i think you can get is the open top Z3, you would need to fabricate the rear. They were made by Cartrix (now defunct) see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cartrix-Slot-car...=item25695f71ef

1 - 8 of 8 Posts