SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There are some, but if you dont start using it when beginning(the hobby) , its really hard to input all the data in that kind of software, that includes when you modify them(crowns, pinions, motor, etc). I once tried to use one app and left it because in my case, have to many cars, so its not practical.

Try in the playstore or equivalent "slot car" and see what fits you better.

Cheers

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
I use Excel, easy to start and you can make it as sophisticated as you want. In the past, I built an Access database, but gave up on that (not too sure why either).

Joel

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
You should check out Ultimate Racer which includes track layout and car inventory software and is a free download.
I would probably use Excel because I am familiar with it. I also use Access, which is similar to Excel, but it is a relational database that can be a little tricky to use.
The nice thing about Excel is that you can sort the entire spread sheet. You could sort the sheet by make for example. I often duplicate the first page to a second page and sort that. I might have a page sorted by maker, another by body style, one by motor type and so on. If you get carried away there could be a dozen columns that needed to be filled in for each car.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have an Excel spreadsheet of all my cars so I know how much I've spent on them and where I bought them.

When I started in the hobby I recorded the information in a school notebook that I still have.

I dont note about track and scenery.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Don't know if it's still available but there was an app called Slot Car Diary with would let you list your cars and any mods done to them but these days I use my website as my car database and this can be exported to a spreadsheet if or when I need to.

Excel or the google on line spreadsheet are probably the simplest ways to keep track. You also apart from sorts have the option of dropdown selection boxes at the head of each column so you can select just one item in a selected column A full database program like Access will let up set up an easier to use interface but needs a lot more knowledge as skills to do properly. There are lots of inventory apps available for free, it's just a case of installing one, trying it out and if no good uninstall and try the next.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot I have Ultimate Racer and I downloaded Slot Car 2000. Like SC2000 a lot.

Thanks everybody who answered!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've downloaded a program called ReCollector as a trial. It's a software for keeping track of your collection whatever it might be. Looks promising, but I haven't yet decided what to do. It's not very expensive, but the work required to register all my slotcars and diecast cars is daunting. So I'll stick with my Excel sheets for yet another while

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
Another point in favour of Excel, should people want to switch to a proper database, Excel data can easily be dragged into Access.
And because all that is needed is a very simple database, getting hold of Access for dummies would allow the creation of something quite nifty.

Joel

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah if you've got Ultimate Racer 3.0 then definately give it a go.
I've used this program for years now to keep track of my slot car collection.
You can add a picture of your car, the price you paid, condition it's in, where you purchased it from, Brand etc and many more that I don't even use.
Luckily I started using it when I only had a few cars so it takes no time at all to update when a new car arrives.
If you do have a large collection it will take some time to catalogue all of them but at least you will know what you have and won't buy the same car twice.

Matt

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Most inventory programs are just a predefined database with a graphic front end and in a lot of cases they will have the ability to import data, this includes ReCollector. In most cases you will need to export your spreadsheet as a comer delimited file and then you can import it in to the new program. One advantage of this is that one you know the data you require it can be a lot quicker to enter the data in to a spreadsheet as you can move between fields, input boxes, just using enter, tab and the arrow keys with out the need to up date the screen after each model is input. It's also a lot easier and quick to enter data in a random order in a spreadsheet such as just entering a list of models and if this is done in brand order you can then save time by pasting other details such as brand and scale and just export it when you nare done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts