SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still haven't got a new camera so photos are not great.

This is the fourth year of the International Proxy Series. The series is for Sports/GT cars prior to 1964 - the original idea was based vaguely around Ninco Classics and the key factors are motors of similar power to the NC1 and Ninco classic rear tyres.

The series starts with four races in Australia then (possibly) two in Greece and four each in UK, USA and Canada.

Given where I live there wasn't much though required on the cars I would use for an International series so all my previous cars were Aston Martins - 2009 DP214 (mid field runner), 2010 DB2 (less good) and 2011 a DBR1 (appallingly bad).

This years entry was supposed to be DP212 which didn't look like a difficult conversion from a DP214. It didn't take long for me to relies that although these cars look the same there is absolutely nothing in common so mid-January the project changed from DP212 to DP155 which is a Lagonda rather than a Aston.

However, I have followed the KISS rule and stayed with a modified PCS chassis and early tests show the car to be quick.

In this case I've set out to build two cars - Development and Race. This has proved a good idea as I have been able to build a very rough car to test whilst I'm building the better Race car. I'm updating the Dev car as I go so will have two fair cars when I've finished.

Anyway here is the rough Dev car:-

For those interested here are the PCS chassis as they look this morning:-

Mike

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The racecar is now ready for it's trip to Australia - here it is with it's predecessors:-

Showing chassis:-

It was very difficult to get a good finish as the body is so thin - I kept putting new holes in it sanding down filler

In then end it had to be finished today to go in the post - so still quite scrappy:-

I will rebody the Development car with a slightly heavier resin body and try to get a good finish

But first I need to do 2 more proxy cars - a BRP for the Tasman Cup and an RHAM1 for the Scratchbuilt Chassis Proxy.

Mike

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Sorry Mike I called it an Aston on the other Forum! It is good to see the Uk theme thru the years.
The Mecono theme is interesting,sure James Msy would be impressed.
I will miss not seeing your car this year,as they are well finished.

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (zagato @ 6 Mar 2012, 10:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice idea to drill out the chassis Mike. Can I ask where the Lagonda shell came from?

Graham.

Yes - It only saved about 4 gm but it all adds up (or doesn't) so the final car was only 60gms + 14gms ballast.

My own creation - started off with a DB3S and needless to say the conversion was more difficult than expected. Here you can see roughly how much I had to add:

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts