Rothmans37.32%
Warsteiner37.32%
Pennzoil00.00%
Texaco24.88%

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are some racing liveries that are very collectable. No matter what car they adorne, real or fantasy, you feel an urge to get it.

I have a thing for Gulf and Jagermeister, but what about you?

Scott

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I always found the gleaming, glossy, black and gold of John Player Special completely irresistible. They didn't start me smoking though - I had been long since led astray by the ladies of our London office during a month's sojourn there as an impressionable lad of 21. Good old Embassy with the coupons - after all I had been brought up in Yorkshire.

What JPS did was to send long legged ladies dressed in black, to Bristol's Cadbury Club, especially to get me to change my ways. They did their job well and seduced me into changing brands one beautiful summer's evening with their free hand outs and dazzling smiles. Unfortunately, I had to keep my hands to myself as I was just married. I guess it must have been the exact year of the launch of the fabulous JPS72 - an irresistible combination for any red blooded male at the time.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
The Gulf cars have always looked great to me - somehow the colours just scream racing. I also loved the dark blue/yellow scheme used on the Penske/Donohue Sunoco cars in US Trans-Am. For some strange reason, plain orange cars (not much of a livery
) have always been a fav of mine too - the McLaren F1 and Can-Am cars in the Bruce and Denny days, and the Trans-Am Mustangs circa 1970, for example.

Tropi, I doubt they were the same ladies, but JPS dolls doled out freebies as part of a promotion at Mosport for the JPS Lotus during one GP weekend. I wasn't married at the time but they still insisted I keep my hands to myself...
Can you imagine that now? Handing out free cigarettes at the track!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi,

For me there is only one livery: from GULF I have now 30 different pale blue slot cars and most off them twice. One for "the real thing" (racing) and one "for your eyes only".
Beside these REAL (pale blue) Gulf cars I have about 20 slot cars with the Gulf logo on it.
On my site I have more then 50 pages about Gulf Slot racing. Sorry it is still in Dutch but pics are universal. The list of Gulf cars in my collection you find at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gerardvd/racebaanfun/filmpjes/

Click on a car and the article (all with 3-6 pics) is showing up.

Last year I had a little foto contest on my site. The name of this contest was: In the hunt for Gulf Colors.
The results (pics of real 917's and GT40's) you find at:
http://www.racebaan.com/report/gulfkleuren/index.html

Click on the tumbnail and the bigger pic will show up

What is your favorite livery? Don't ask me that! Not only slotcars, books, flags, pins, pens, lighters, candy's, clocks etc

Second best for me is Martini

Gerard

PS: Slotracing is life. The rest is just waiting for a new Gulf car

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Damn!

Just spotted I titled this 'Unresistable' instead of Irresistible and cannot edit from home. How embarrassing.

[Mutley- style]sucafucasodsatfuss[/Mutley-style]

Scott

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Martini livery for me, especialy on silver cars. Can`t resist Gulf either,then come to think of it there`s Gunston, and....... No wonder I`m so poor

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Scott

Glad to see it's not just me that makes typo's.

JPS get's my vote, can't really say why, but seeing it at Goodwood last year i wasted (or not) a whole film taking pics of it sitting in the padock and on track - stunning!

Black and gold sooooo seventies, but a classic never to be repeated!

That said black's not a colour to race - too difficult to see.

Gareth

·
Registered
420 Posts
I always thought that the JPS looked rather nice - but generally speaking I do like the cars from the sixties before they get all covered up with advertisement. The red and white Porsches 906 were nice and then ofcourse the Ferrari 512s. But sometimes you love a livery because of some driver that you like(d) to watch doing his stuff. Ronnie Petterson was a real favorite of mine when I was a kid and I loved his spectacular driving style. Then again - some cars were almost magical no matter livery (e.g. GT40)

//peter

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Gotta be JPS for me, but I also have a soft spot for Gulf (pale blue and orange work for me too).

If only I had the finances available to find and buy a Mk.II 3.0 JPS Capri in Black (White ones are far too rare!)

Mark.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Hey!!!!!

What about this one

QUOTE That said black's not a colour to race - too difficult to see.

Speak for yourself- four eyes!

Mr.M

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Obviously some of the manufacturers know about the fetish that slot racers have for certain liveries....

Images courtesy of Bona.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr M,

Did not include Castrol to avoid boring everyone with endless Toyota references, so thanks for posting that pic. Must devise lame exucse to get the car out again soon.

Russell,

You will have Mr M all of a bother with so many little FIATS/SEATS. The Mini pick-ups have the 'buy them all' factor too.

Scott

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
AWW they're so cute!

Great looking Supra - is it yours Mr. M? Do the local rozzers have a sense of humour failure upon seeing it and pull you every 5 minutes (even if you're doing 20mph) ?

Mark.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
My faves include Jever, seen on a few cars with green body and red/white candy-striped roof. I've even painted Battletech (science fiction robot wargaming) stuff in this scheme. Also the BMW Red & White chequers/blue & white chequers is nice.

A couple of favourites because I had them on die-cast toys when only little are the Vaillant cars (see recent Ninco news) with the cute rabbits in that difficult-to-match green with the bright pinstriping and BASF - I remember having this colour scheme on a BMW M1 Procar - lots and lots and lots of concentric white rings on a red background.

Coop

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Another Battletech fan! I used to play that quite a lot many years ago - I've got a fair amount of 2nd edition stuff sat on a bookshelf at the moment.
I really should fire up Mechwarrior 3 on the PC again

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
difflock, me an mate got pulled over the other night, why? cos we came off a roundabout a bit quick!! at least he had a sense of humour! mate said well it's kinda hard to go slow with a turbo y'see

1 - 20 of 38 Posts