SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
You're not going to need all those amps. A car draws about 1.2 amps so a 6 amp supply is fine for a 4-lane track. 10 amps is fine for a 6-lane or 6 car digital.

Variable voltage is cool for adjusting for different cars. Digital uses fixed voltage so there is no need for variable.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ha! Maybe YOUR cars only draw 1.2 amps but if he wants to do some real slot car racing with real slot cars I think you'll find 5 amps per lane is the minimum
Saying that 30 amps is too much and that you'll never need that much power is like saying you should drive a Yugo because you can't use all the power of a Corvette. See how I slipped in using a truly sad automobile of European decent and compared it to an American car? That's a subtle psychological jab
I'm just joshing you Nuro

Professor Fate answered the query correctly. The cars will only draw what they need. A 30a power supply is definitely not overkill.

note: The first paragraph of my post is not to be taken seriously. Factual information was presented in a misleading fashion intentionally. Remember, always remove the Pop-Tarts from the foil pouch before microwaving and if you want to see me race slot cars be sure to have donuts on hand and a catch fence surrounding the track. Your mileage may vary. This offer only good in the US and its protectorates.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
related electrical question - if you have a 30 amp PSU and enough cars to be getting on to 30 amp draw - presumably it will blow the fuse in the 13 amp plug? Do you have to wire the thing in to a fused cooker socket or something for ideal safety?

·
Registered
376 Posts
darainbow

no, it will work fine... I have one on my 4 lane routed track and it has run every type of motor or car I have tried on the track..... Like the others have said it is not forced amps... it just lets the motors pull what they need..... so with amps more is always better... And the sdjustable voltage is great too.. I use it for everything from breaking in motors to lowering it for young kids and new racers until they get the hang of the track and cars......

Chris

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
You can never have too many amps! Nuro is correct however, that if you plan to run digital, you won't need more than 10 amps because you won't be running anything hotter than stock motors (because the decoders won't handle more). On the other hand, if you run analog and want to use TSRF or Falcon motors, for example, they can draw 3-4 amps each, so a 30 amp supply is not unreasonable on a 4-lane track.

My personal preference is for a supply that exceeds my calculated needs by 50% or more. That eliminates any possibility of surging and also keeps the supply operating well below its limits, extending the life of the supply to near infinity.

Astro, the 30-amp rating is the supply output current and not its input requirements. My supply, for example, can produce 6-amps at each of it's four independent outputs, but the input requirement is not more than 4 amps or so. When you reduce voltage, as a power supply does, the output current can be increased at roughly the same ratio (not quite because of inefficiencies but you get the idea).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Fergy @ 15 Nov 2004, 19:15)You can never have too many amps! Nuro is correct however, that if you plan to run digital, you won't need more than 10 amps because you won't be running anything hotter than stock motors (because the decoders won't handle more). On the other hand, if you run analog and want to use TSRF or Falcon motors, for example, they can draw 3-4 amps each, so a 30 amp supply is not unreasonable on a 4-lane track.

My personal preference is for a supply that exceeds my calculated needs by 50% or more. That eliminates any possibility of surging and also keeps the supply operating well below its limits, extending the life of the supply to near infinity.

Astro, the 30-amp rating is the supply output current and not its input requirements. My supply, for example, can produce 6-amps at each of it's four independent outputs, but the input requirement is not more than 4 amps or so. When you reduce voltage, as a power supply does, the output current can be increased at roughly the same ratio (not quite because of inefficiencies but you get the idea).
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. This is for Analog right now -- I have given up on digital for the time being. I figured if I get this 30Amp 6-18V supply I will be fine in the future for whatever track or motors I decide to run.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Sounds like a great supply! As Chris Briggs mentioned, the adjustability is a great feature on analog tracks. I use it for my son and other kids. And the output current will let you run everything up to, and including, warm 16D motors!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.