SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - this is my thinking. The idea of being able to run 6 cars at a time is grouse - will be fun for BBQ's (with the guys & a quiet ale
)

What won't be fun is being stuck on 2 lanes.

Given that the idea appears to be to run a half length sensor & a switch piece at one end of the track & a swapover at the other I've figured you should be able to run four lanes if you cut & shunt a couple of pieces to make "Curve & a half" curves allowing you to run swaps on the centre lanes.

Eg - graft on the outside lane of the inner curve & the inside lane of the outer curve. I've only put in the switching lanes for these to avoid confusing the picture.

My idea

In the diagram the circuit runs anticlockwise. The active switches are next to the blue "sensors" the others being passive. I've got to have a better look at this to figure out the implications of the lane change directions but I thing the idea's right.

Where possible the outside two lanes will be banked to make the whole thing racier.

I picked a size so it'd fit roughly on a pingpong table (blown out to 10 by 6) since I figure that'd be easy to fit in the garage with room to marshall..

I don't know what is planned in the way of laptimers etc but I'd assume it'll be fairly simple to wire sensors into the other two lanes. All lanes will be powered anyway so I'm hoping you can just run booster leads across lanes (or would that interrupt the signals from the controller doohickeys?)

Is this likely to work or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
I think the idea of only having two lanes is to make passing difficult, just like the real thing. Four lanes would make it too easy, unless you could use 12 cars.

M

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Can't access the link, chap. But, forgive my simple mind, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to set up a bog standard four laner? Once you add beer and undercooked chicken to the mix, your mates are likely to appreciate the simplicity of the old faithful vanilla slot racing!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I can't see the link either, but was thinkin of something similar to make a digital pit lane (splitting the track into 3 lanes with an LC used off set - it seemed more within my modeling abilities than some of the track modifications that have been shown here!)

It would be easiest to impliment if there were straight LC sections. Scalex have said they are intending to bring out such pieces in the future, whether they do remains to be seen.

As to having multiple lanes - i think a layout would be great if PARTS of it were 4 lanes, then narrowed back to 3 or 2 lanes for other parts.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn - I can't see the link either & I set it up myself!

I tried the photo bucket that was suggested in the "please help" bit & had no luck so I tried a yahoo photo site. I'll try again tomorrow with some other thing I guess (any suggestions on the best places to post pictures from Australia would be welcome).

regarding your comments, I realise that the 2 lane thing is meant to make it more difficult to get my but I have 2 small boys demanding a bash which will end in tears. Having more lanes will make it damn near impossible for anyone to start blocking (intentionally or otherwise) & give the more experienced amongst us (although are there any experienced folks with an as yet unreleased product?
) a way around my little moving chicanes without wrecking my cars! This'll leave me more money to spend on the 2 lane analog layout that I intend to landscape so I can run my "better" detailed cars in a more fitting environment so there is method in the madness.

I'm really rather hoping the staggering thing can be done without blowing all the electric bits to bits but don't really know. Manipulating the track - easy - electronic wizardry - hard. If anyone knows whether this is plausible please let me know.

Basically though, with the three automatic & three "controlled" crossovers & four lanes I think there will be plenty to take into account - four totally differing lines into the one bend for a start. If you were to just follow the lane without switching you'd end up following all 'four' lanes around track meaning it's not over complex for the kids but I can still wallop about all over the place in a foolish manner.

I don't really like "straight" four lane circuits - not enough variation (yes - I'm a bit of a table crammer) and hell I need one of these new fandangled gadgets!
Beer and chicken are definately part of the plan - 'cept the chicken isn't vital for a BBQ - just a dirty great fire!

It also strikes me that there will be a favoured line through the course (although I can't see how right now & nor can you of course
) so there will tend to be a quick way through but you'll be able to take enough differing dodges to get about I think that'll get confusing enough with changing the number of lanes too. The use of this for a pit lane struck me as fun, but I really want the pitlane on the analog track. I figure there'll be too much carnage with this thing to put anything except padding around the circuit.

Anyhow I'll try posting that pic again tomorrow & see how I go.
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have approached this with both auto-lane changers and manual changers in mind.

The auto ones are either sensor tripped...

IMAGE REMOVED - I'm tired of sharing with nay-sayers

or mechanical spring tripped.

The idea being car 1 passes over a turnout (a literal fork in the road) and goes left, leaving the turnout switched to the right.

This puts the 2 cars in adjacent lanes.. and the 3 cars following these 2 will now also be directed left, right , left, right - as in the real world.

Now if you have the power/space and the car in front does like wise, you guys can pull ahead of the traffic in the adjacent lane.

As you pass over the next turnout through a twsity section, such as the bus-stop chicane for example - you are all fed onto one lane - and proceed single file to the next turnout.

Rinse and repeat.

Now, if you wanted to be really complicated, I suppose you could creat a 3 or 4 way turnout that distibuted the cars onto alternate tracks - and then collects em all at the other end again.

That's the auto-route selection covered.

My other turnout ype is the "manual type".

These I have great fun with - these are routed (with a router) slots that lead into tunrouts ( again a literal fork in the road) and because they are on the exit of one, emntrance to the next bend - you pick the lane with the amount of slide you have,

Throw it wild and carefree and you will get the inside lane (because you oversteered the rear enhd around forcing the guide into the inside fork).

Exit the hairpin deliberatly and controlled, and you go outside...

For those that have not seen it yet - the traffic circle is the ultimate source of frustration - in too hot and you make a few laps...
- letting the pack get away - or your will hold them rest of the pack up.

I have obviously never tried the DAVIC setup - but just be looking, it would almost seem that many lanes puts you in the spot of being in the wrong lane to exploit your position... but I may be wrong...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
RC45 - your lane changers are ingenious and very different from the ones used by any of the manufacturers.

These involve a button on the controller, and a channel of the reciever is used to tell the car to change lane. How this is operated depends on the system; in scx - the car drops the guide deeper making the car follow a different channel. In the other system, it sends an IR signal to the track, which switches the track not unlike your manual flicker. However - the challenge in these systems has been to make sure that the switcher is back to the original position before a following car, so the 2nd car doesnt change lane inadvertantly.

This lane changing facility with a button is what is generally exciting the slot world - or at least those who are into digital. Also see BLST thread on another exciting idea.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey, Don't give up RC45. I'm sure there's some sneaky sort out there creating DiGiLanes which will be that standard for all. The cool thing is seeing the many implementations, yours being one of them.

Some may or many not be convinced of a particular method and will freely comment on what they think will or will not work for them, but I'm sure some are thinking in terms of general commercial appeal, etc.

We need variety sir. I hope that you continue willing to share your progress. The cool thing about where things are going is that we will soon have the choice and ability to lay things out however we want.

It's fun seeing the stuff thats in your head, sir.

-Maltese

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Since you removed yours pics, I'm not sure what you mean, but take a look at the DaVic system.
This can be used for 2, 4 and 8 lanes.
I would suggest that on a 4 lane digital track, that you use lane 2 and 3 to for racing and lane 1 and 4 for the cars that came off the track. So when you put a car back on the track, they won't be in the way for the racing cars.
There shall of cause be a way back to lane 2 and 3 from lane 1 and 4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts