SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm paging through no 38 of the GSR mag and they are reviewing a Seat Toledo. from Scalextric. The logo is very much the same as SCX's and even the chassis is the same as my other SCX cars. It also uses a Techni Toys RX-41 motor. On the cover they call it a SCX Seat Toledo. Is it the same company.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If I'm right it is like this:

In Spain all Scalextric cars are brought out under the SCX brand name. And Scalextric there is are the cars we know as SCX. So SCX is the Spanish Scalextric.

And about the Leon: Buy the car... I have different hatchbacks, Ninco VW Golf, SCX Seat Leon and Fly Alfa 147, and I like the Leon the most. It's a really good car, it's not that fast... but it's very fun to drive... has great tyres and I've never head a problem with it...

Pictures are taken from Racebaan.com

Greetz

Gunther

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
tDI is almost right, as far as my (limited) knowledge goes it's as follows:

Spain: Scalextric (rest of the world: SCX)
Spain: Superslot (rest of the world: Scalextric)

yes, there are 3 brand names involved, what we outside of Spain know as Scalextric is known there as Superslot, what we know as SCX is known there as Scalextric

Following this line of thinking, there is no SCX slot car to be bought in Spain...

... confusing isn't it?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (tDI_Fahrer @ 6 Aug 2004, 07:48)In Spain all Scalextric cars are brought out under the SCX brand name. And Scalextric there is are the cars we know as SCX. So SCX is the Spanish Scalextric.
Well, that clears that one up then!

It's a complicated situation with two entirely different companies owning the right to the brand name Scalextric in different parts of the globe (not just Spain BTW).

Hornby the British company own the rights in UK, USA etc., but where they don't they use the brand Superslot.

Techni-toys the Spanish company own the rights in Spain, Mexico etc., but where they don't they use the brand SCX.

Hope the mud is now clearing!

Mr.M

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yes guys, you're right. I forgot all about the brand-name Superslot!

The picture shows my ETCC Seat Toledo. If you could buy it here, it would be an SCX. But you see on the front window it is a Scalextric. I bought the car earlier this year in Tenerife. I heard the car is'nt on sale outside Spain (or it's islands).

Greetz

Gunther

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
In the sixties under Franco's rule, Spain had strict import regulations. These were in place to encourage companies to manufacture in Spain.
Triang, who then owned the Scalextric, name set up a factory in Barcelona and at first assembled cars from the UK.
Gradually the company started to produce it's own cars, the first being the Cooper and Ferrari sharknose grand prix cars (now re-released under the Meticos name!) although very similar to the UK ones these are in fact made from different tooling.
The first cars that were not copies of UK ones were the Seat 600 and the Mercedes 250SL. Even at this stage the cars that the Barcelona factory were producing were far superior to the UK produce.
In the late sixties Triang had financial problems and it was at this stage that the two compnies parted.
The Spainish factory was taken over by Exin, during this period there was still some collabaration between the UK and Spainish companies, but this ended in the early ninties. This Collabaration now causes a lot of confusion, re. the two Mclaren MP4s !
It was at this stage that Exin started to market the brand under the SCX name outside of Spain, and in turn Hornby, who now owned the Scalextric name in the rest of the world outside Spain, started selling Scalextric as 'Superslot' in Spain only.
Exin sold out in '92 to Tyco, production was moved to China and quality dropped considerably. a lack of sales saw Tyco sell to Techni Toys who moved production back to Spain and still owns it to this day.

Phew! seems I've written a short history of Scalextric in Spain

BTW A few years ago Hornby was marketing Scalextric as 'Superscale' in the USA

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a(s)lot guys.

Only 3 weeks in the game and armed with this knowledge. Maybe my next step will be to take over the world.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I thought my short history was clear enough, but I guess not!

'Superslot' are a Hornby product and are the same cars as Hornby make under the 'Scalextric' name in the UK.

But due to a conflict of brand names in Spain resulting from historical problems in the past, Hornby are unable to use the Scalextric name in Spain and market the same cars there under the Superslot name, same cars, different boxes.

What this really needs is a 'Family Tree', I think a visual explanation might be a lot easier to understand.

·
Registered
458 Posts
well, tis all very silly if you ask me. SCX use different motors, have crappier bodies and have a different chasis design (wireless)

so what the hell is the point in this?!?!?!?!?! why not just make scalextric in spain the same as over here, bearing in mind some SCX cars i have seen in reviews come under the scalextric name but with scx packaging

ahh its all silly tis too much to understand

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Your not quite getting this, are you?

SCX is Scalextric in Spain, but this is a different Scalextric to the one in the UK.

So,
Two companies are making 'Scalextric' cars and both have rights to use the name.

1. Hornby in the UK
2. Technitoys in Spain

They make a totally different range of cars.

Technitoys can only sell thier cars as 'Scalextric' in Spain, so in the rest of the world thier cars are marketed as 'SCX'

Hornby can sell thier cars as 'Scalextric' all over the world except for Spain, where technitoys has rights to the name, so in Spain they sell their cars as 'Superslot'

I definitly think this needs some visual means of explanation, I will make a family tree

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't know much about the situation in Spain, but as someone mentioned in this topic Scalextric seem to be a generic term for slotcars in Spain also. The article that Russel Sheldon posted does indicate that this is the case.
If it is so I think it's perfectly understandable that Technitoys wish to keep the Scalextric name there.

Phil, thanks for the information/history lesson.

André

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I think, especially to the general public, that 'Scalextric' is generic term in the UK also.

People often ask me what I do for a living, and when I reply that I deal in slot cars I usually get a blank look!. As soon as I mention scalextric the penny drops!

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
And is that when they start backing away from you, Phil, very slowly, without making any sudden movements?

Thanks for the explanation, I never really did understand what happened.

For the brand names, I've had the same reaction in England, getting a blank look when asking for slot car books, but understanding when mentioning Scalextric. In France, it's best to mention Circuit 24, or sometimes Scalextric, which is also well known. "Voitures de circuit" seems to be the official generic term, but gets less of a reaction that C24.

In Brazil it seems the generic term is Autorama (from the A.C. Gilbert sets that were the first in the market). And have you noticed that, thanks to ebay, Cox is quickly becoming the generic term for any large slot car?

Don

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Just made this family tree for the history of Scalextric, should explain things more easily.
If I have made any glaring mistakes please let me know!

scalextric family tree

It is a word .doc but should open, if you are asked for a user name and password just press cancel.
It's probably best to print it out as it all fits nicely onto an A4 sheet.

I was going to do a history like this for the NSCC mag (sorry Brian I haven't !) but I think this would actually be better as it is easier to follow.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Oh good it works, I was worried that it would not download.
I've tried changing the doc file to html but havn't had much success and was thinking of redoing it all in html format.

But as it works ok I'll leave it for now.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Come on Phil......You can't leave it there.......You need to get started on a book.

Regards

Alan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts