SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
i have recently been trying to get local government support for the slot-tech model raceway, however any grants or rate rebates that are available to sports clubs cannot be awarded as slot car racing is not recognised as a sport! is this the case throughout the rest of europe?
bye for now,
jim.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
BSCRA is affiliated to the MSA (Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association), I'm not sure in what fashion but this might be of help if trying to convince people it's a sport!

Andy-Brown Searle is the PR Officer for BSCRA, it might be worthwhile emailing him. I don't have his address to hand, but his contact details are on his commercial site, http://www.abslotsport.com

Coop

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE I wonder what the legal requirements are for something to count as a sport.

It's got to be on the telly and involve sex and violence.

So slot car racing should easily qualify...

·
Registered
420 Posts
coop and astro have made useful comments. Things to remember in a disagreement:

1) If some-one suggest that 'slot-car racing is not recognized as a sport' ask them to present the foundation upon which this statement has been made. Ignorance of recognition is normally not sufficient as valid foundation upon which statements like 'lack of recognition' should be made.

2) If this some-one persists ask them to present a description of definition that is being used to classify any sport as being 'recognized'.

These two point should create some havoc in the relevant discussion I think...

//peter

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Argh! Nothing gets my goat more than folks refering to toy car racing as a "sport". Get real, it's playing with toys!

From dictionary.com;
QUOTE # Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

and;

QUOTE An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

The emphasis on the "physical" means, and brace yourselves for the God awful truth here people, but it means racing slot cars ain't a sport - other than the Tantric slot car racing apparently practiced by TSRF

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Trouble with the dictionary definition of sport, WI, is that it never ever includes one sport that doesn't involve physical activity.... chess!

As for lack of physical effort in slots, you've clearly never seen me get out of me comfy chair to do some marshalling!

Anyway, the debate on "it is!" "it isn't!" won't mean very much if Slot-Tech can get Sports funding which I think is his aim rather than Olympic Recognition.

Coop

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
My doctor says driving to the shops does not count as physical exercise, even tho i can get there much quicker than walking that way; Does that mean motor sport is not sport since that doesnt involve 'physical exertion' ? (after all - the driver adjusts controls , the engine does the work, same as slot cars)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,
i have gone as far as the sports council to try and clarify the situation, however they dont even recognise F1 as a sport!
bye for now,
jim.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Is Chess defined as a sport

I would say that it is a competitive hobby as is slotcar racing. As would be RC car/boat/plane racing - a hobby (of a competitive nature).

Perhaps some may see it as a sport, but as it's not physical as most sports are, why try and brand it as such. Video gaming and video game competitions are not sport, but are still competitive.

Don't look for sports subsidies or funding. Rather look for social or youth association activity funds. They do exist. Check out if the local Scouts are funded. Scouting and Cubs are not sports. How are they classified in your region?

·
Registered
420 Posts
there have been some efforts in the uk to describe fox-hunting as a sport as well - did not go all too well down with a european audience though...
on the other hand - it has something to do with physical activity...

//peter

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I think Nuro nailed it - forget sports funding - look elsewhere.

Then again, I've seen billiards and darts listed as sports.... so go figure.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Try Lotto funding body and weight your request around supporting local young people and children etc, etc.

(giving them something to do in the evenings)

Good luck

(PS i would guess that Slot racing is considered a sport in Spain - any Spanish out there willing to comment?)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nuro and Jexy have nailed this one the way to go is to get either local govt or lotto funding centred around "providing activity for the youth". We managed to get funding from both for a youth club with various activities set up some sporting some not. Generally councils are willing to invest in these activities centred around youth on the premise of "keeping them off the streets and out of mischief!"
Personally i think youd find it near impossible to get funding for slot car racing trying to convince someone that its a sport !!
Although how the devil someone on an olympic commitee decided synchronised swimming and ice dance skating was a sport is really beyond the realms of my imagination
Someone did comment tho that the outfits the female ice dancers wore swung the vote but theres a whole different imagination track..........

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
well darts is a sport, as physically demanding as it is

Scalextric Sport, must be, ahhaha.

For me, slot racing is a way to have fun. I don't care if its a sport, hobby, game, or anything else, it is what I love doing and the 'class' it goes in to isn't going to change my enjoyment of it.

Snowboarding's my No 1 sport anyway!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Regardless of what any government institution might profess, one could, by using dictionary definitions, define slot racing as a sport.

The American Heritage Dictionary offers:

QUOTE 2.An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3.An active pastime; recreation.

There is no doubt, if you've ever witnessed serious slot racing, that a certain amount of physical activity is involved. Perhaps not on the level of a triathlon, but blisters and sweat must indicate something.

QUOTE An active pastime

Ahah! How much more proof do you need!

And Webster's seems to encompass slot racing with at least one definition:

QUOTE 1. That which diverts, and makes mirth; pastime; amusement.

Me thinks the sports council are having sport with Slot-Tech!

Besides, golf is a recognized "sport". Excuse me? I get more exercise at my job, and need greater precision doing it than I do on the links. The only time I ever worked up a sweat playing golf was when I forgot the beer. Sport?

·
Registered
420 Posts
fergy you forgot one that is rather popular in some places in the UK - BINGO -

//peter

1 - 20 of 32 Posts