SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm located in Cape Town, South Africa, I bought 2 of those "I think" Tyco International Sets out of the States 2 years ago, but never really got round to using the sets properly as the sets came with US transformers, and I can't seem to find a decent supply locally. Also, my primary scale of choice is 1/24, however, we don't get much racing done here these days.
I've been making Carbon laminated and Resin bodies for 24 scale slotcars for a while, including making decals etc, but I've always kept one eye on the Mini Slots threads as I do enjoy them, and would like to get my stuff up and running to the level I would enjoy.. Right now, I'm not focussed on slots etc so it's taken a back seat.

I've been browing around in here, and see there's a lot of le Mans and Endurance racing HO stuff going on in the UK, and possibly Europe, so my question is, having made some detailed bodies and decals for 1/24 enthusiasts, I'd like to find out if there's interest in some HO Le Mans bodies which are not available? yes, no, what??

There are from what I understand many different types of chassis in the market, and I naturally don't have those all, and can't buy them as HO is not imported here in SA, so I'd have no point of reference for most of them, except the cars I have which came in these International sets.. They are the Sauber Merc, Toyota 88C, Porsche 962 cars. I'm a HUGE fan of Le Mans Sports cars and Prototypes, so if there's a demand for them, I'd maybe throw a mold or two together of some bodies which aren't available, to create nicer le Mans group C lineups, or maybe even current LMP cars. For example, I've never seen the Renown mazda 787, or the Calsonic Nissan. Short tail Porsche 962's, alternative Porsche liveries, and so on.

One thing I'm not sure on is how strong they would need to be as well. If they're made of normal resin, I'd be able to make them pretty quickly I'm sure, but cannot guarantee any strength capabilities of the cars.

So, I might be barking up the wrong tree here completely.. But if anyone out there IS interested in some custom Group C, LMP bodies, drop me an email and I'd also like to hear what you'd expect to pay for a body, in both painted, completed form as well as un-painted. Also, these will ONLY be for bodies than can fit on the chassis I have, as mentioned above guys.

Looking forward to hearing your input.

regards

Al

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If you made bodies for the chassis you have (probably Tomy Turbos) they would fit all of the more popular HO chassis, a decent looking Jaguar XJR9 would probably be popular, as the Tomy one is a bit bulbous. I'm not a big fan of Group C cars myself, and my tastes of classic NASCARs, Trans AM and Can Am are already fairly well catered for by old Aurora bodies, but good luck with it, Group C is definitely a popular era in HO.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
to confirm, it was these two sets..

I believe the cars are TOMY AFX.. and they mount by clipping onto the chassis.. But I guess, if other chassis have the same wheelbase, you could mount the bodies to them via alternative means, ie: body pins etc..
Anyway, I'm going to tray make the Mazda as an experimental body, including a set of decals.. Must also point out I make waterslide decals on white paper only, not clear.. So I have to assume colours of bodies are based on having been painted with the tamiya colours.. ie: Green and orange as it comes out the tamiya Tins.. There's a good example of this on my website, well a few, as all the bodies there are made by myself, including the decal work.

But I'll keep you update and post some pics once done.

cheers

Al

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The 4 way split set has Tomy Super G+ chassis, the bodies you have will have a 1.5" wheelbase but the chassis can also be 1.7"
The Internationl set has 1.7" wheelbase Mega Gs, if you make LMP bodies for these chassis they will be popular, as the only bodies available from Tomy for this chassis are the Indy car and Peugoet and Audi LMPs

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Julian,

thanks for that info. Let me say it was the older International Set, and I have to think it's not the same chassis as those, but I'm not clued up enough on them.. I can take pic or two over this weekend.
I'll also measure them to be sure, as inches don't work for me, mm's work..

But let me first go get some more silicone and make a mold or two that I can work with. I think the idea is to mold the existing bodies, so I can create more of them, as you all know there are hundreds of Porsche liveries available, but also some variables on the tail sections. But I can take a molded Sauber and rework the bodyshape to get to the mazda and other shapes, then remold them and cast them. it's a long process but it's very do able.

The Toyota GT1 could be done, but as best as possible to clear the large chassis parts etc. The bodies can only be as flat as the chassis allows clearance. if that makes sense.. eg: a Group C Body's profile is much higher than say a Toyota GT 1 or Pescarolo for example.

So let's wait and see. The new LMP's, I would say I could get the Aston done, the Lola's and the Pescarolo. not promising anything yet, but let me see what they come out as and what you guys think.

Cheers

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Again,

If I read some of the forums on these new Peugeots and Audi's, they are in fact LONGER than the other cars but a few mm's.. So, here's a BIG question.. Who owns the Audi and Pug that they wouldn't mind parting with their bodies for about a month?
The easiest way to do this is to start from an existing template. The Audi would be the basis for the Lola and the Pescarolo, and the Pug the basis for the Closed Lola and the Aston bodies.
anyone who can afford to be without their bodies, drop me an email and we can discuss addresses etc.

cheers.

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi,

Ok, firstly, DAMMIT these things are small!!!

Having only been doing this kind of stuff on 1/24 scale, EVERYTHING is small, even the amounts of resin and Silicone. I guess the bargain is I can pour approx 5 molds from one tub of Silicone, which would otherwise pour only 1 x 1/24 body..

Anyway, here's my trial Mazda, fresh out the mold, and dremelled out. a measily 3.4 grams in weight...
That's what we'd try get the driver and interior to weigh in the bigger cars.

So I've tried to reprofile the rear wheel arch, as the Mazda has a pretty nice ass in my opinion. The wing sits dangerously out the rear, on a post which is molded on. Wing can therefore be made out of flexi plastic, or lexan etc and attached with shoe glue, or double sided tape.
Added some ridiculously small rear brake ducts, as well as cut away the sides, and rebuild them with the various venting as per the 787B. Also changed the nose profile, and the headlight design.

And it's bigger brothers. my 1/24 babies used for comparisons.

I haven't yet produced the decals..
at this size, I gather it's only required to get the LARGE sponsors decals on the car. Have NO idea how to mask and paint such a tiny body, especially with the detailed sides.. won't be easy. Let me also add, the original has that silver top decal over the engine cover, as I cannot print on clear, or don't have any, that's going to be tough. I try and colour the white paper as close to the colour of the painted area, but with some close scissorswork, you should be able to get the decal of the driver names on and looking ok.

I dunno, I need to try do them tonight, so will see what comes out.

I've also got a modified Porsche mold in Silicone, with the short rear tail, ala the Kenwood Porsche which has the seperate wing mounted on the top of the rear engine cover. Same as the BRM Porsches.. So that's also available.
I'll probably try create the Nissan R89C as another option as that is also similar to the Jag.

Cheers for now.

Al

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Cool stuff, and you certainly don't hang about.

As far as decals go, unless you are going to match the standard of the Patto peel-and-sticks, it is probably best to focus on the body side of things.

You are correct about the endurance racing here. There is a long established 24hr race which uses the tabbed version of the Tomy Turbo, and a much more recent (but now established) 6hr which uses the short Mega-G chassis this year and the long version from next year. The Mega-G is a modellers dream.

How much the racing and the chassis used actually matters is going to come down to the durability of anything you produce. When I started HO racing resin bodies meant 6g+ bloaters that would shatter very easily, but the much-missed Hellonwheels and Greg's garage both proved it is possible to produce raceable bodies that can compete weight-wise and be durable.

The ultimate expression of that must of been the Hellonwheels Datsun 240Z. Back when the 24hr rules allowed any body based on those that had raced in 'the real' thing, naturally focus moved to the road-car based stuff, which meant a discountinued body from Rokar (now defunct). This was fragile around the A pillars so the team I raced with had the body cast with the windows in situ, as an all-in-one resin. Tabs to fit the body to the Turbo chassis were then added, and the body cast again so the tabs were part of it. The end result was so light it had to be varnished several times to get to the limit, and it won the 24hr that year. I would say that took what resin bodies can do to a whole new level.

If the body is not that durable then in many ways it makes life for the caster easier. Weight stops being a factor, and the insides don't need tabs as the end-user can fabricate those to suit whatever chassis they are going to put under it for their shelf etc. Personally, I would love to see somebody else do raceable bodies, something that can be raced in the 6hr on the long Mega without worry for example.

Cars I would like to see for the long Mega? Lancia LC2, Ford C100 and other 'missing' group C cars for sure, but thanks to the dimensions of the chassis the real holly grail would be Turbo-era F1 cars and Indycars from the same period, with properly proportioned sidepods etc.

Love what you have done so far, keep going.....

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys,
Thanks for comments and offers on loan bodies, I'll sort that out soon.

So honestly, I used to moan and complain when I got involved in a 1/24 body that was more complicated than normal, or I just got lazy, but hell, these things are small to the point of, insane.
Can't honestly say I'm prepared to build and paint COMPLETE cars as it's very finnicky stuff this. I'll make some bodies, and my decals for those who want, but If I have to make one up for you, it'll cost an arm and a leg, seriously..

Masking up the orange painted shell. NOW I'm regretting putting those detailed sidepods on..

Here's a pic of the rear engine cover, i decided to make it a decal.

A Comparison of the entire "orange" decal set next the 1/24 car. I've got to redo the orange colouring, but the idea is to show you the CHARGE decal, and the comparitive size. When my missus saw this, she started laughing her head off.. Gee, I wonder why..

Here, already on it's way.. details need to be painted on, like all the air intakes, radiators, windows etc and the black triangle bits on the roof and in front of the windscreen. Will be cleaned up later. You can also see the stripes. I print a set of stripes with opposing side colours, which you cut to size and apply, depending on if it's an orange and green colour, or grey and orange, black and green, whatever. The orange tint is definitely out with the Tamiay Spray I used, which is BRIGHT ORANGE.. So need to tint up the orange decals a bit.

There you go.. so it's not looking too bad I don't think. Will post some pics probably tonight when it's done.

If you haven't seen them yet, go to my website, link in my Sig below, where you can see the LMP bodies, and some GT bodies I've done. I think the Audi and the Pug on the longer chassis, I'll be able to make a couple of different bodies there no prob. Should provide you with some nice Le Mans lineups.

Cheers

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Forgot Moto GP is on today, so nailed it for 3 hours..

Re-did Orange. looks cool. Started doing the stripes. Very small..

In fact, 2 to 3 mm's a decal??

All the stripes finished, the car's starting to look "familiar" no..

And, a short while later. finished. Sprayed a quick clear coat over it.. and lay it on top of a spare chassis.. Looks very at home..

Finished.. The Jag in the Picture weigh's 4.3 grams. The Mazda is 3.4 grams. So it could even be a little heavier, and would probably be even stronger. This is made of a semi-flexible almost ABS type compound, but it's not a solid Resin body, so I think it will behave a lot better than a resin body, and should last much longer. But time and someone's experience eventually will tell.

Questions.. Would I do it again? tough. I need to think what I'd charge to make one complete to the finish like this. All in all, it's probably just on about 6 hours of work painting and decalling.. Can you equate that to a cost.. yes, but will people accept that, probably no..

I'll sell the body and decals on their own, plus the almightly killer being postage, sure. So need to see what is an acceptable proce for these. What would you be prepared to pay to have an almost "one off" or limited edition body?

I've also got a short tail porsche currently curing, so will make the Kenwood car and show it here next week.

Cheers.

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Never mind next week.. The Porsche is a predominantly white body, so it was relatively painless.

So, there it is. 2 Bodies in the space of a weekend.

I'm going to work on some form of pricing structure, and what options for bodies I can produce, as well as simple repaints of the existing cars, ie: the Shell Porsche 962 that I used to create the Plug, I can produce white bodies, with a couple of different decal sets for them, as well as the shirt tail car. The Jag can also have the Castrol livery, and can have a piece of thing white plasticard stuck over the rear wheel arch, and the closed wheel version is then attainable.

I'll consider making the Nissan R89C and possibly the Lancia LC2 as I have these decal sets on file, but these will only be done once I've worked out pricing and got confirmed orders.

Will keep you updated.

regards

Al

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Great work Big Al. I really like the Mazda and the Kenwood Porsche is nice too.

How did you paint them? Tiny paint brush? If you can get a price list up, I'll be interested in a couple of items.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The postage to the UK could be reduced by us in the UK making a bulk order and then sharing the posatge costs.

How about a Group 5 Lancia Stratos or any Stratos for that matter, I've got a die cast Stratos you can have to make a mould from.

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 Jul 2011, 18:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The postage to the UK could be reduced by us in the UK making a bulk order and then sharing the posatge costs.

How about a Group 5 Lancia Stratos or any Stratos for that matter, I've got a die cast Stratos you can have to make a mould from.

That's a great idea Julian, I would be definately interested in a couple.

You have got a really good eye BIG AL and very talented.

Lee

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi all,

thanks for the kind words and personal messages. Let me answer some questions.

@ Cryer-Evo, the initial costing to make a body is quite high, and unless there's a definite demand for that body, I don't think I would attempt to make them, so a Zonda Road Car would not be possible mate. The Toyota GT1 might work, but demand would dictate. So will review at a later stage.

@ Julian, thanks for the offer on the Stratos, but I think similarly, the demand would dictate making it. I certainly won't say NO, it's definitely makeable, but it would cost a packet as you would have to foot the bill for all the materials. Am currently discussing some things with Wayne re: stocks and shipping costs etc.

@ Todd, an R18 is a possibility.. I need to secure a loan Pug and Audi R10 from these new Mega G long cars which I'm still working out. Once I've got them I'll be able to roll out a number of alternate LMP's to do battle with them. So, time will tell.

@ Deane, Thanks for the input. Although I've made these two bodies already, I intend to make a few more, as well as being able to provide some variants on the decals for many Group C cars, which will allow people to build some bodies which aren't available, or if they are, I haven't seem them.
As I said above, ideally I'm wanting to borrow the Mega G bodies, so that I can start with correctly caled bodies, and make a couple of LMP variants that can be raced with those, until I can get the two bodies tho, nothing will get done on that bigger scale for now. The LC 2 is also one I'm interested in making, so will work on that one in the future.

@ Jim, I'll have further details available soon on making these available to you guys in the UK as cheaply as possible, but it's going to take a few weeks to get it right, so for now, "watch this space".

@ Lee, Will have some info soon.

Having read up and doing some conversion calculations, These Indi cars I got in the Super International Set, they're 4.3 cm's wheelbase, which is 1.7" correct.. So that must be the same size as this Audi and Pug.. So, I'll check locally, and see if there's something that losely resembles an LMP car, and try do something there.
Will keep you all updated, and thanks for the positive responses.

Chat again soon.

regards

Al

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.