SlotForum banner

Is there anybody famous on this forum?

16K views 158 replies 93 participants last post by  Aberstone 
If we're going to do "no degrees of separation," my 4 years at the Village Theater in Westwood, California (home of UCLA and first-run theater) gave me a chance to:

-shake hands with Groucho Marx before we let him into the theater ahead of the line ("You wouldn't deny admission to a 'living legend,' would you?")
-see Walter Matthau pay for a ticket and stand in line to see his own movie!
-have Charlton Heston insist that his son thank us for letting them in for "professional discounts" (free)
-have Steve McQueen pat me on the stomach and say "Thanks, Bud" for letting him in ahead of the line
-use the urinal next to Herb Alpert
-talk to Mario Puzo (author of "The Godfather") for an hour during the premier of the movie at our theater (he remarked that he was "totally broke," having gambled away all the money he earned from the book; he was-at the time-writing the screenplay for "Earthquake" to earn some of it back)

...and later, I worked at a coffee store in Brentwood (upscale suburb of L.A.) and sold coffee to:

-Burt Lancaster
-Samantha Eggar
-Betsy Drake (minor actress and former wife of Cary Grant)
-James Garner
-James Arness
-Diana Ross (bought 10 Braun coffeemakers for her "staff" at the cost of $150 each)

...but such is life in L.A. and environs-you can see famous folks all the time.

Almost forgot to mention my most...interesting...famous person experience.

While in college, I worked at the Village Theater (movies) in Westwood, California (home of UCLA). It was a first-run theater, so we showed all of the latest films. On occasion, we (workers) were asked to assist at other venues. One year, prior to the Academy Award festivities, I was invited to help usher at the Academy Award theater in Hollywood, where a showing of "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" was to be shown to Academy members.

The film attracted an overflow crowd, so we ushers were asked to hurriedly obtain and set up folding chairs adjacent to the regular seating rows to accommodate latecomers. The film began, and, as an interested film student, I was watching the movie while carrying a couple of chairs held at shoulder level up the aisle.

Who should be coming DOWN the aisle at that moment, but Candice Bergen. Ms. Bergen's...chest...was at a similar level to the chairs that I held; there was a meeting of...minds, shall we say....

Ms. Bergen was very gracious and did not slap me silly.

I didn't wash my hands right away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.