SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 20 Jan 2015, 16:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Actual failures are a part of endurance racing, and cars should be repaired while the race is in progress. Yes, it really sucks when something fails, but that's how it is. Prep your car to ensure high endurance, and repair under green if needed.

x2

However, as this is a first attempt at this, I would suggest that for the first event ONLY replacement car is allowed as I have no doubt we will all run into some difficulties.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 20 Jan 2015, 17:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You might not have meant it this way, but I would say that I'd much rather swap out a pair of worn braids, or even a failed chip, than to change to a different car unless I had no other choice. Having to learn the performance of a different car, even if it was the same model and prepped the same way, could be more detrimental than the time taken for a minor repair or worn braid replacement. If everyone else wants to allow a spare car to be swapped in, I'm fine with that, but I won't agree that replacing the entire car should be the only option, if that's what you meant.

Apologies, MrF... I certainly didn't mean for the car to be simply swapped without trying to replace the simply things like braids, guide, tyres or chip. I think since we will be using Scalextric DPR cars, the only serious issues which might call for car replacement are "slipping gears", broken/snapped gears and/or failed motor. I think all other failures we experienced with the cars in the past can be repaired within a reasonable amount of time.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Wraith and myself will be testing a range of cars on the 7th of Feb and will then decide what car we will be racing. As much as we would like to get this done before then, we simply won't have a track to test on until then. I am hoping it will not be too late by then in terms of making the tyres?

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Can we tighten even more the rule on additional weight?

There should be no min/max limit on the overall weight of the car, but how about adding a rule that you CAN NOT add more than 5gr of weight? This should be more than enough to keep the guide in slot and remove any potential arguments as to why one car might be performing better than another.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Wait a sec... No distribution of weight around the chassis. Weight can only be used at the front of the car to counter the issue with regards to the guide. No weight should be added apart from front quarter of the chassis.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 1 Feb 2015, 17:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why not? I do not see the point in limiting the weight distribution.

Can the race organiser please state what the max additional weight is and is it to be used only at the front of the chassis or can be distributed anywhere on the chassis?

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
GRUNZ - I apologise if I sounded rude or came across as negative, but I just wanted to make sure we all obey by the same rules. I am happy with whatever decision is made regarding the weight distribution, just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Damn it... there goes our secret weapon!

Wraith - back to the drawing board

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 4 Feb 2015, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If possible, in the next couple days. DRAWW is racing at my house this Sunday, and I'd like to have these settings ready to play with after our racing is over.

Second that... Wraith and I will be testing on Saturday so it would be nice if we had the finalised settings by then to try out.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
There is one thing I've been forgetting to ask, how do we communicate between each "site" on the day?

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
WhatsApp might be a good idea as messaging is instant.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Hopefully there will be at least one person with WhatsApp on each site

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I was only mentioning 'chat' so we can sync the start of the race and each location can alert the organisers if there are any issues which might delay the start.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Ooohhhh... team names! I forgot about that!

The ASSC crew will be racing with 3 teams and here are the team names (keeping the prefix as UK2):

UK2 - For Queen and Slot Cars
UK2 - British Slot Crusaders
UK2 - Fish & Digital Chips

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Marcel - I am all for it. Closer relationship with DiSCA will only benefit this event in a long run.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Question regarding the pit lane - do we have to use pit in/out sensors on the track?

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Marcel - we were using LC+Break but for some reason it would not work so switched to LC only and the pit option kicked in.

Ok... So, the car audition is over and having tested 12 different cars, we narrowed it down to 4 (no necessarily fastest) cars and then fettled with them a bit more. Colin will post the results of the initial "audition" so you can guess what our chosen car is

We did encounter some issues with the software during the night. The main problem being the pit option. There were numerous times when we toggled to 'GO' and pressed 'Break' button, only for refuel or tyre change to kick in. This would not be so bad unless we had more tyre sets. With few new racers coming to race on the day, they might burn through 2-3 sets of tyres during one pit stop and then will have an issue completing the race. Is there any chance we can more tyre sets for this first race?

Second thing we came across was to do with increasing lap times when there are more cars on the track. This is potentially a game changer which will play a huge factor in determining the overall winner. Most, if not all, of us have tested the cars by racing one at a time and trying to find the fastest car possible. This is all Ok, until you try and race against more cars. Having two cars on the track meant that our lap times increased 0.5s-1s per lap purely due to having to change lanes to overtake slower moving car. Then we had a 3rd racer join us and the lap times increased by 1.5s-2s from the original lap times when there was only 1 car on the track. In order to make the race as fair as possible, I advise that there should be a minimum of 3 teams per each location. Whether that's 1 team plus 2 pacer teams (one in each lane) or 2 teams plus 1 pacer, it doesn't really matter. Loosing more than 1s per lap purely because of too many cars compared to a location where there are only 2 teams, can result in loosing 50+ laps in the overall race.

And... there is no indication if we can refuel and change tyres at the same time?

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Marcel - couldn't really remember what the latency was. Why do you ask?

I guess people could use "slow" pace cars to help keep them on the track at all times and could easily be adjusted to run at constant speed to get around all corners.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
We will certainly check latency, even though I am positive Colin (Wraith) set it to 1 and we did not experience any issues with delays.

It was purely inconsistency with the pit stop which caused a bit of frustration as pressing 'Break' when on 'GO' would result in fuel or tyre change kicking in instead of releasing you from the pits. It would be nice if at some point in the future you added a feature which allowed you to leave the pit stop if the throttle is above certain value. That way you could leave the pits as soon as fuel was at a desired level or as soon as the tyres where changed, instead of having to toggle to 'GO'.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
So, I noticed earlier discussions about test lap times uploaded to the website and comment regarding 8s lap times. Has anyone actually managed to break the 8s barrier?

Marcel - thank you for taking our points on board and applying the suggestions.

Grunz - I will definitely check that setting as we simply left it on the default. Only changed the settings as per what Marcel stated in the rules.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.