SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

I just had an email from Gio about this. I'm certainly keen and will discuss it with Gio regarding possibly driving up for the event. So all going well, Kiwi No.2 is onboard!

I was thinking after reading through the post, having the same amount of teams on track at each location is probably crucial due to traffic and the bearing it'll have on the lap times. I don't think pace cars set to random will offer a good solution. At least a human driver won't change into your lane and take you out (ok, I know some do!). The other thing is that having a human driver to race against will keep you motivated and hungry to push it harder when you can't see the competitors overseas.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 19 Jan 2015, 13:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just out if interest, is there any reason it's only 2 hours?

Yeah, if it was the full 24 hours we'd all have the same sleep deprivation issues at some stage no matter what time zone we were in!

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

As it turns out I will probably be busy here setting up our new Slotcar shop at the time of the race so instead of driving up to Auckland to race at Gio's, it's more likely I'd want to race here. I have a bunch of people to approach that have shown interest in forming a local Slotcar club so I think I can get enough drivers, fingers crossed!

So if it's ok to add another location, I'm about 90% sure we can do it here too, in Whakatane.

My preference, would be 2 hours. 4 would be a mammoth race, even three hours would be. After getting the formula right for these races I think we can look into increasing the duration though.

Cars list:

Audi R8
Aston Martin
Bentley GT3
Lotus Evora
Corvette C6R
Porsche GT3
Ford GT
Maserati MC12
Maserati Trofeo
Ferrari F430
Jaguar XKR GT3
McLaren MP4-12C

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Sorry, mised that! Right you are, MC12 too. I don't know about Ford GT but GT40 was to be DPR in the future I think.

So, the list the so far:

Audi R8
Aston Martin
Bentley GT3
Lotus Evora
Corvette C6R
Maserati Trofeo
Ferrari F430
Jaguar XKR GT3
McLaren MP4-12C

Shame, my Porsche is pretty quick!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
What about having a limit on spare car laps. eg. One tank of fuel only to rectify the issue with the race car. It gives someone time to replace a motor, re-solder wires at the guide or any other repair needed. Maybe even have a limit to 2 spare car uses per team so it would mean you'd try to fix a car before getting out the spare car in the first place.

Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

I'd prefer that all the cars were high detail. I know there the SR cars we have like the Lambo and Ferrari are so much faster than anything else we have that I'd feel they were preferable and I'd then want to use one myself even though I don't like them personally. Even weighted up they'd be different as the High Detail cars have a portion of weight high up in the car (the interior). I also think cars used should all have racing liveries and lights should be required too. If it's going to be fair I thin we need to stick to some rules which don't open it right up. Otherwise next we'll say it's ok to use SCX GT's or something else like that. Let's keep it simple. No problem with non-DPR cars for me either, it adds a few into contention that would otherwise be left out. Even if teams had to buy a car to compete, split three ways a car is cheap and the team could let the driver with the fastest racing lap or quali time keep it.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
The last track, Switchback V6 appears to have R1's either side of the central corner, I'd rather avoid R1's straight after another R1 as it impedes the flow too much. Much better in my opinion if you can prepare and brake for an R1, then get on the gas and out of it. A technical double R1 corner I think will create too much havoc in an endurance race.

What do others think?

By the way, I love the long curve preceeding the main straight. Looks good to drive.

Cheers,
Damo

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 23 Jan 2015, 06:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Damien, you might be right but I like a challenging corner. ;-) If I got time I will make another entry with a simpler one. Actually I would like to see one from you Damien: I really like what you did with your track. A 1.5x5 m version of it would be nice.

Nice one Greg. There is a nice spot where the racing line chicane (modified CLC) would sit very well. I am short of two single lane straights but I can replace them with a full straight. I tried to locate the original post of SlotCarDad but the images are gone. Do you have the original plan?

Richard, personally I am going to order several tyres for several models: you would just put down two of those pairs as the ones we should receive for this event (no need to send them separately). I am still figuring out the tyre sizes as for your email.

Finally: if you take an APB with the high power mod, could it still work with the two original power supplies?

I've just done up a version of my Little whaka Raceway with no modded pits or other pieces and I have made a single lane pit instead. Here it is. Might be too deep for some from the comments posted though? 4.38 metres by 1.88 metres (to edge of outer borders and PB). From my own experience though this is a very nice flowing circuit to drive and the R1 hairpin works beautifully.

In this form it'd have 1809cm and 1858cm lane lengths. The way I have it set up which is slightly different, the inside lane is actually faster but suffers more deslots so they both work out to be about the same over a lot of laps.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Slotcar Ltd (me) would like to offer some prizes for the event. Even though we don't sell a lot to overseas customers yet, we have been getting more and more business lately from the US, UK and Aus so we'd love any extra exposure.

We would like to offer a Scalextric Ford GT (C3290) to the driver with the fastest qualifying lap and one to the driver of the fastest race lap also (Provided no one has offered prizes for those two results as yet).

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (thoefnagel @ 29 Jan 2015, 05:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Three questions:
- Which Aston Martin is meant? I have a High detail DBR9 (limited edition GULF twin pack).
- Same question about Ford GT. I have a Ford GT-40 (see my avatar). Is that allowed?
- Ferrite man on leads. Is that obligatory? My cars are just stock versions. Only my GT-40 was non DPR.

The GT40 would not be allowed, it's a fifty year old car, not a modern GT like the Ford GT. The DBR9 Gulf would be allowed though.
The ferrite man would be allowed as is but also allowed on leads to save it from breaking the legs during a two hour race.

Cheers, Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I'd have to agree with Gio and Minardi on this. Best to have a lay out all set in stone now so we can all make sure we have the pieces. MrF's track has some excellent elements and this is probably hard to get into 1.5 metres width so I'm all for it. Thanks for taking the time to design and redesign. I have no issue with people practicing, It means I won't feel guilty about getting my eye in either!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

I've missed a lot of these posts as I was away fishing (good fishing too!). Anyway, seems a lot of discussion about weight. I was in favour of added weight and liked the min max 90-100g idea myself. I think adding some weight is a simple tuning method anyone can do with a little trial and error. Something is needed to have an enjoyable race without too many deslots and this is in my opinion the best option that even novice tuners can manage.

Cars like the much discussed Exige are light compared to likes of the Bentley which is already in the 90-100 zone.

To throw another spanner in the works, what if weight was allowed to be added but final magless weight was to be no more than 15% of the cars original magnet fitted weight? That means the Exige wouldn't need beefing up wildly. It makes it even and fair for all cars. It'd be more like real world racing then as cars would effectively be heavier if they were larger just as in 1:1. The Exige would get a possible max 11 odd grams added and the Bentley a max 14 approx grams.

Over time and a few events we'd probably see results showing faster overall times for some models which would get people using more of them but that's just like NSR Moslers being the favourite pick in analog classes.

Also by the way, I'm trying to get 3 teams of 3 drivers here for our track.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

The Bentley guide depth was mentioned here the other day. I've just lined up a few cars to show how it compares in a GIF. Have a look at this:

Not actually much difference to the Porsche or Maserati but shallower than Audi and Corvette. After doing this I wondered if it'd be better to do the test with the braids off as they'll all differ slightly especally as some have been used already. Might set up another round of pics later.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 5 Feb 2015, 09:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As much as I like other types of braid, I think the stock braid can work really well. Besides, with the piles of spares I have, it wouldn't be hard to pick a few with nice, straight, good braid, and set them up in advance. If wear becomes an issue, they can be quickly swapped out.

As for the Bentley, what I noticed on mine is that it's at a slight angle, such that the leading edge is higher, not in the slot as deep, as the back of the guide.

Also, thanks for the clarification on tires.

Yep, mine too, deeper at the rear. How does your handle MrF? I haven't had it on track yet.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I'd like to use the Truspeed.

Oh, here's another GIF, this time with the braid plates off.

If you place your curser right where the Bentley guide finishes you can get a good idea of the difference.

Damo

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (distantkiwi @ 10 Feb 2015, 11:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was thinking of taking a trip down county and spy visit the competitor from our land.

Ever seen Scalextrics pre-release undercover pics? Come down here and you might see the same...

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've been away on business and otherwise too busy to keep up with the posts but we will be having 2 teams, possibly three. Just to let you know.

Cheers, Damo.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

Lots of fun had today. We did have our share of issues though. The pace car kept getting faster and faster so we had to remove it at lap 80. We hadn't any practice with the software until just before the race and most of us had some issues getting a smooth pitstop and selecting everything ok including the exiting procedure. We had real tyre issues and whilst some sets were fine, we had sets of new tyres that were dead as soon as we left the pits, literally, as soon as we left. Some lasted a lap or two and that was it. This meant that one team ran out of tyres well before the end of the race.

So we all had ourselves scratching heads trying to work things out. In the future things will be different and we'll get a chance to test and practice which will help lots. The software is truly impressive and I am excited about spending some more time with the guys seeing how we can get the most from it.

Our two Bentleys were superb. One was the SR version which I swapeed out the glass, interior and lights for from a high detail one that we had returned to us that was damaged in freight (lucky to get the opportunity!). We had no problems with the cars at all and they are running smooth and perfect now still.

Cheers,
Damo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.