SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
I could make urethane tyres for all cars from the same batch of urethane if that helps. I already have moulds for the narrow and wide versions of the tyres used on Scaley GTs. Shore A50 should be about right for Sport track running for an hour or two.

One observation - ambient temperature and humidity makes a BIG difference to lap times. How will you manage that?

I'm interested. Could probably run 3 teams plus marshals and a web master.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
No track calls works for me too. We should be able to arrange enough marshals for deslots to be quickly rectified.

I favour a shorter track in a smaller space simply because I will have to do this at home (no WiFi and no phone signal at our club) and the biggest floor space I have at home is 4.5m x 2.5m.

Take a look at my Amman Valley track - that fits into that space quite nicely and it has two pitlanes - one for refuelling and one for stop-go penalties.

As most other locations are going for 2 teams I think we will limit ourselves to two teams also - presumably we could have more than two people in a team?

March or April sound good - but avoid Easter. And if it slips to May - avoid Gaydon

I am taking to Minardi about tyres. Shipping to any part of the world costs GBP 3.90 and as the Route1Racing site automatically charges GBP 3.70 shipping I am happy to cover the small difference. So if you want any number of tyres in advance and they weigh less than 100g - simply order through the website. Exact tyre dimensions and the exact dimensions of the wheels they are designed to fit are also on the website.

I think the RCS team will be issuing tyres in due course so there is obligation to buy unless you want try out various cars to decide which you want to race

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
I was suggesting you look at Amman Valley Raceway as an example of what can be built into a smaller space. Wouldn't want an unfair advantage

I have lots of unassembled track including R1 hairpins (the non-squeeze type), and a few R3 and R4 turns as well as the usual R2s. I also have three XLCs a left hand pit lane and a spare APB.

What I don't have and do not want to buy are any single lane curves for fancy pit lanes - rip-off prices for the tiniest bit of track.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
Date looks OK to me.

Tyres - the best compound for Sport track is actually the medium compound which is Shore A50 hardness. They actually grip better than the softer tyres with and without magnets.

I assume we are running without magnets?

My advice on the tyres is to replace your rear tyres with our medium compound tyres. Your front tyres need to be as hard as possible and so we should encourage racers to varnish their existing front tyres so they act as stabilisers and offer minimal rolling resistance. This helps a lot with getting around tight turns at speed.

The good news is that Route1Racing is supplying two pairs of tyres to each racing location completely free of charge, nothing at all to pay. You need to go onto the website and look at the tyre chart to make sure you let Minardi know what tyre sizes you want and the address you want them sent to. Please use the Route1Racing product codes. The sizing chart has very accurate measurements of the tyres AND the wheels they are designed to fit. Send any queries to me if you are not sure.

The tyres are easy to glue and true. True them using 400 or 800 grit wet and dry paper. Try to avoid getting too much heat into the tyres whilst truing. Depening on conditions the tyres can take 100m or so of distance to warm up to full grip. After an hour or so the tyres can begin to lose a little grip - bring them back to full grip by spinning them up for 2-3 seconds on the wet and dry paper. Urethane tyres do not respond to any tyre treatments so run them naked for best results

If you want additional tyres then you will have to order and pay for them I'm afraid.

Have we settled on a time to race? What does that translate to in UK date and time?

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
Would prefer 2 hours. 4 hours least favourite.

We have a venue but the table dimensions could require a narrower track.

I don't own any high detail DPR cars!!! Our digital club runs a DPR class and they are all super-resistant due to the intense nature of our racing

Why can we not simply weight our cars up to the minimum weight? Happy to make sure 5g is placed high to compensate for the lack of interior.

If it's a big issue I will buy a high detail car but not sure I see the point.

By the way - the Scaley Aventador is also DPR and seems to perform about the same as the F430.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 20 Jan 2015, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey Marcel, All
what do you think about this version?

This layout requires 13 R3 and 7 R4. Let me know if you (Marcel) can outsource the required R3 and R4. Otherwise this version could be fitted with more R2.

Lane 1 (external) 19.70 m, Lane 2 19.20 m. Also, XLC placement is only what I think would be optimal. We could remove the one closer to the APB on the main straight to reduce them to 4. I put it there just to avoid cars getting out of the pit lane.

Too many R3s for me - I think I only have 4. R4s not a problem. Not enough R1's but I can live with that

Would like to see a few more borders otherwise overtaking will be limited to pit stops.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
We have a standard APB with two standard Scalextric power supplies. Happy to leave the uprated chips out of the cars. Also totally OK with before and after photos of car innards.

We are not expecting to win but we are expecting to have fun

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
Can we have a definitive list of permissible cars please?

If I have to go shopping I would like to know what for!

If we are allowing non DPR but fitted with a standard C7005 chip then I quite fancy a Scaley Ford GT-R. Or maybe I should say [email protected] it and haul out my limited edition high detail F430?

Decisions decisions.

Reminder - I need to know what tyres you guys will need so I can start making them. I would prefer to have all requirements in by the first week of February so I can make all the tyres from the same batch of urethane and then send them out to you guys so you have a week or two to glue, true and test them prior to the race.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
The space we have for track at the moment is only 4.6m wide and 1.2 m deep but up on a bench. We are trying to find a floor space with WiFi. Could v5 track be shortened to 4.6m? We could use boards to make the bench deeper.

F430 - very reliable in my experience (my SR 430 is in its 3rd season). But you have to glue the spur gear because it almost always parts company with the axle!!!

Ford GT on its way as alternative option.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
I am looking for an alternative space because the "table" we have is a workbench that has been fixed in place for at least 100 years - it is an old Tailor's workshop. We could rest boards on it to make it a bit wider but length is governed by two walls
It does have WiFi because it belongs to one of our club members.

So we are trying to find an alternative venue.

Hotspot is possible BUT our club room has no mobile signal or WiFi.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
My high detail with lights Scaley Ford GT arrived today. Only £25 from Phil Smith and it is brand new - bargain.

What a GORGEOUS car! Flawless paintwork (that won't last long
) and amazing attention to detail.

A bit fiddly to take it apart but it is looking like it has potential to be fast and stable.

It is the dark blue one with twin silver stripes. It just so happens that our other team is going to run the same car
so we have to find some way to differentiate them. Maybe coloured roundels or change the colour of the stripes.

Time to start running-in the motor and rooting around in the cupboard for an unmodified chip.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
I just had a root through my track box and I can only muster;

2 x 22.5 degree R3's
12 x 22.5 degree R4's
4 x 45 degree R1's
3 x XLC's

LOADS of R2's and straights of various lengths.

I could probably borrow some more R1's and we may have some R3's at the club but no guarantees.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
I think the vast majority of pit lanes will be LH simply because that is what Scalextric supply in all their sets.

I know it is possible to convert a LH to a RH but it's hassle.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
Ooh I like your thinking.

World record for the most identical slot car tracks syncronised into a single race. Possibly the most continents ever to simultaneously race against each other in real time. What else?

Anyway - change of subject.

I need some time to get the tyre order together and for this I need to know from each location the following details:

1) Name and address of who to post the tyres to.

2) What tyres you actually need.

Route1Racing is sponsoring 2 pairs of tyres per location. Look at the www.Route1Racing.com website and let me know which tyres you need. Most likely to be either the MSN or MSW tyres but others can be supplied if needed.

You can order additional tyres if you wish and I can include these in the parcel with the free tyres - if your order pushes the postage price up you only pay the additional amount but if there is no increase due to weight then you get shipping for free

I need all orders as soon as possible as I have a real job and need to make tyres in the evening without incurring the wrath of SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED ("don't you ever get tired of playing with toy cars?!?")

Your cooperation is appreciated as I need to be posting tyres to the furthest flung reaches of the planet before the end of February so everybody gets a fair crack at setting them up for racing.

Richard

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
Yes medium compound. Shore A50 to be precise.

I have bought a brand new batch of chemicals so the tyres will be fresh and all made from the same batch.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
From my interpretation of the rules it will probably be difficult to address the Bentley issue.

And as great as it would be to see the Bentley win - if you look at it whatever car wins it will be Chinese!

Wraith SURELY you of all people can find a car to race

I am going to have to buy me a Bentley to see whether we have to design a new SureChange guide to fix the blade depth issue. Not got enough time to fix it for this race.

Is it not possible to add a spacer to push the guide deck down - and find a longer screw to hold the guide in place?

If not then the most recent cars with recessed guides are probably out of contention.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
I cant see the image in post #140 - I could the other day on this same computer. Greg - have you deleted it or moved it by accident?

Not sure about the no weight thing - agree on an overall minimum and maximum. But some cars are pigs to drive without 5g up front to keep the nose down - remember these were designed (lazily) to run with magnets. The McLaren (which I am not running) can simply refuse to go around bends once you remove the magnet. This can be resolved with weight in the nose - about 10g in the case of the McLaren.

If the rules remain no added weight I can live with that but I think a few people might be cursing the decision once they start driving fast.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
OK pictures are back and I like Greg's track. Gets my vote

I have tyre requirements from Grunz and Damo only at the moment. So that means New Zealand and Wales are sorted for tyres.

Mr Flippant, Wraith and Minardi - please let me know what you want so I can make sure I make the right volumes of each tyre type.

Anybody else thinking of entering - please let me know your tyre requirements so I can get them ready to send at the point you decide you are definitely "in".

And don't forget to vote on adding/not adding weight

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
@Wraith/Zarko - No worries on 7th February. Providing you want either the MSW or the MSN tyres which are standard on pretty much all the modern GTs then one late order is not a problem. I will b making the tyres for New Zealand ad then the USA because they will take longest to get there. I am going to try to post them so that eveybody gets their tyres at roughly the same time.

@All - weight. If we have a target weight of 90-100g then that will mean we only have a few grammes to play with. Believe me with some of the GT cars the weight near the guide will be worth its weight in gold because nobody wants to drive a car for 2 hours with 2 or 3 deslots per lap because the damn thing won't go round corners at the sort of pace everybody else is doing.

I got the scales out this evening:

High detail F430 with magnet still in place - 92.2g

High detail Ford GT with magnet still in place - 83g so it will HAVE to have weight added just to make the minimum weight!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.