SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Don't know where this is going but….

In this thread link we came up with the idea to have a RCS64 race between different members around the world, using the same layout at the same time with the same cars, same settings etc and share the results realtime through internet. This gained some interest across the world so time to open a dedicated thread to explore the possibilities. The ultimate goal would be to incorporate this feature in RCS64 so all the experience we gain from the first event will be very helpfull.
The first event will be a pilot to explore further options for the future. Internet slotcar racing has been done before with Scalextric Sport World, the idea was good but maybe the timing wasn't right.
For this first time we use RCS64 and try to see what is happening on the other tracks around the world by using teamviewer (or maybe people have other suggestions-Skype?). I don't think we are able to have a general website where we can see all the realtime results, at least not for this first time.

Checklist:

1) Date and time
Starting with; what day of the week ? Sunday ?

2) Lay Out

Lay out should be exactly the same. Location of lane changers, pit lane (and length), borders.
Mr Flippant's Portable track ? Grunz's suggestions ? Available space and track pieces ?
-2 standard power supplies.
-Type of controller ; all types are ok
-No use of pit sensors.
-Power taps

3) Cars

Same brand, same type, same car ? Magnets, tyres ?
My proposal Scalextric GT cars and name a few models (C-numbers)
Out of the box, no magnet, third party tyres, standard chip.
Obviously we need some (simple) rules
Maybe we can find a sponsor for the cars…

4) Event settings

Practice, Qualify
Endurance (1 hr, 2hrs ?, ..)
Tyre wear (weather is random but you can use hard and soft without weather simulation)
Available sets of tyres
Tyre change time
False start
Race end
No track call (Marshalls)
Throttle profiles ( I would say no limit)
Brake setting (Dynamic/no brakes/button all allowed)

5) Racing Rules

We need some basic rules, like;

-No contact ( we can check the new DiSCA rules, and/or the Scalextric WC rules)
-Stop and Go (when to apply)

I think the best would be to have at least 2 people at a track, they act as a team and switch during pit stop. When not racing, you marshall.

No limit to amount of teams on a track, however I would say 2 or 3 teams (4-6 people) per location would be good.

No limit to amount of locations where the racing is being held. For this first event, the limit will be teamviewer (or alternative) limit. And even than we can keep track of what is happening. A Print Screen every 5 minutes would be good in any case.

So…Let's see where this is going. I am excited. I can see that when this works, the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your input Greg, here we go;

Checklist:
1) Date and time
Weekend. Can't really pick a particular day, because Saturday for me is Sunday for Mr. Kiwi. I can do a Friday morning, which would be Friday night for you, and Saturday morning for him. In any case, I'm sure something can be chosen using the thing he set up: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meet...2=16&p3=234

Agreed It should be weekend. We are now focusing on 3 times, but they are so far apart I think 90% of other people want to join will be around the same time zones.

2) Lay Out
Lay out should be exactly the same. Location of lane changers, pit lane (and length), borders.
I agree with your stipulations. Setting up the track continuity should be left to the host. If you're happy with no taps but your tracks are well crimped, that's fine by me. I'll probably go that route, though I do have two pieces I set up to jump power from near the bad to away from the base (though physically close) that I used for my party tracks, and would probably use.

For the layout, I can post a TrackPower file with my current stock of spare track, if anyone thinks it's helpful. It could be shared around so that each person removes stock they do NOT have, which should leave us with a file with stock we ALL have. Then we can all propose layouts from that stock?

I would prefer to see proposals of lay outs, with used parts. For instance, the ones posted by Grunz look good to me, and I would like to see yours too.
Your stock would be fine too, but I'd rather see a lay out first

3) Cars
My proposal Scalextric GT cars and name a few models (C-numbers)
Out of the box, no magnet, third party tyres, standard chip.
I think that pretty much covers it. I'd go with easily sourced urethane tires. They give good grip, and do not benefit from softening treatments. Allowing them to be glued and trued would get a big vote from me.

I am ok with that, but you have to tell me where to get them, or the brand and size etc.

4) Event settings
Practice, Qualify
I'm not sure how this would even work? I figure, practice as much as you like. If not, then there should be a rule that one CANNOT practice until the designated time, so that the track is just as new to everyone racing.

I dont mind that people practice, but I think we should have a practice and qualify session before the official start, to check if the set ups work correct, including teamviewer etc.
Qualify,well, just for the fun of It, if you are last, you start on track piece 12 before SF

Ideally, there should be at LEAST two cars on each track, even if one is a fixed speed pace car with random lane changing. It just wouldn't have the excitement if it were just one car running laps at each location. If there are more than one live driver on a track, let them decide where they grid. In the overall scheme, it shouldn't really matter much. In practice, unless there are 3 or more cars on the track, it won't matter at all.

Agreed, a minimum of 2 cars. I am not sure pacers keep going for 2 hrs without attention. Pace car function in RCS is very good, but I prefer human driver.

Endurance (1 hr, 2hrs ?, ..)
Tyre wear (weather is random but you can use hard and soft without weather simulation)
I like the idea of weather, but we should be able to set it to 3 changes, and keep resetting until we all get the same, pre-determined pattern. The question is, will they change at the same time, or randomly?

Random, that's why I want to use tyre simualtion without weather., Just hard and soft.

Example;

Available sets of tyres - Depends on weather

See above

Tyre change time - I have no preference: 10 sec

False start - That would be tricky, especially if we're trying to coordinate the start timing with internet lag. For RCS64, it's just a stop and go, rather than a restart like some other options, so I don't mind using false start detection.

Ok, False start on, Stop&Go 10 seconds

Race end - I like it when all cars finish the lap they're on.
OK
No track call (Marshalls). Yeah, it has to go without stopping. So that means I will definitely need a DRAWW member to participate.

OK

Throttle profiles ( I would say no limit) - I agree. With RCS64, fuel burn is based on CAR speed, not Throttle level, so the profile should not effect fuel burn apart from giving the driver a curve that fits their style and car.
Brake setting (Dynamic/no brakes/button all allowed). For magless, I like dynamic brakes. If we go with stock Scaley GT and urethane tires, I'd want to use them. But, I have no problem letting people choose to use brakes or not. That said, with tire wear and weather and all that, I might go brakeless.

Dynamic/no brakes/button all allowed

5) Racing Rules

-No contact ( we can check the new DiSCA rules, and/or the Scalextric WC rules)
Fine by me. As it's likely to be just one car (and maybe a pacer) on my track, this shouldn't have an effect on my race.

-Stop and Go (when to apply)
For contact? YES, and false start

I think the best would be to have at least 2 people at a track, they act as a team and switch during pit stop. When not racing, you marshall.
I agree. In this case, we also need to decide when drivers must, or may, switch. For example, ALL pit stops? After a certain number of crashes? Only refueling stops? Etc.

Most fair is all pit stops

No limit to amount of teams on a track, however I would say 2 or 3 teams (4-6 people) per location would be good.
That would be good, but given the time constraints, unlikely to happen for most locations, and especially unlikely for mine.. unless it manages to fall on my Sunday between 2 and 6pm. ;-)

No limit to amount of locations where the racing is being held. For this first event, the limit will be teamviewer (or alternative) limit. And even than we can keep track of what is happening. A Print Screen every 5 minutes would be good in any case.
For which we'll definitely need a spare person working the computer. This could be the track marshal at the moment. Those using wireless control can crash and dash. ;-)

Great, let the track plans and new racers come! And input of course. Grunz ?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is just great! I will pm you about the costs, see what we can do.
Humidity and temperature, yes, hard to find a solution except maybe a calculation afterwards? At least everyody should write down the values.
Cool, another country

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
You are right Gio, pit stops will only be for tyres and/or fuel. We will not use damage because we do not use track call.
Stop&Go yes, but from my experience, this will not happen a lot.

What I want to prevent is that teams stop switching drivers, because one of them is the better driver and besides that if you keep driving, you stay in the rhythm.
That's why I say every pit stop.

We have to decide if we only do tyres, or also fuel. For me we can do both, as in a real endurance. You have your teammate to help you with tyre status and fuel percentage, and I think strategy will play a big part.
For a 2hr race I prefer longer refueling/tyre change times because than your strategy has more impact. Than I propose tank size that will last about 20 minutes, and tyres that last a little longer (Hard)

Good idea about the lay out. I am also limited in space, It will be the living room too. 5x14 ft , I have to check, sounds good.

So the tyres will be the urethanes from Mr. Modifier. I propose to wait with the order until we have a date and a list of participants. In the meantime I will look for sponsors. Yes, this will be epic

So far;
(team names and cars/c-nrs follow)

The Netherlands, host Minardi

Team 1: Car (probably) Aston Martin DBR (Marcel,...)
Team 2: Car (probably) Audi R8 (...,.....)

USA, host Mr Flippant

Team 3: Car driver (Greg,...)
Team 4: Pacer

NZ, host Grunz

Team 5: Car diver (Gio, ...)
Team 6: Pacer

UK, host Mr Modifier

Team 7: Car , driver (Richard,...)
Team 8: Car, driver
Team 9: Car, driver

That is a nice starting grid !

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
You know I love Portimão

The VERY Good news;

Scorpius has offered prizes for the winning team!!! Details to follow, but believe me, VERY generous!

We will all use the same urethane tyres from Mr. Modifier. I will have contact about this with Richardhim, first see how many sets we need on which location.

A few things:

- 2 hour endurance race RCS64 with tyre wear and fuel load simulation.
- No track calls.
- Teams of 2 drivers
- If only 1 team, 1 constant speed pacer in inner lane (pit lane lane) is mandatory.
(maybe we should find a factor; ideally 3 teams = 1. 4 teams = amount of laps x 1,05 - I gues that will be too difficult)
- S&G can be applied without TC by using keyboard
- If S&G, drivers do not switch unless combined with fuel/tyre wear stop
- when to apply; pushing other car out. If other cars stays in, no S&G.
- drivers switch every pit stop (assuming tyres/fuel last at least 15 min.)
- I would stick with the 'living room' lay out unless we are 100% sure participating teams ALL have the space AND track pieces. But start with living room, the 17m. track of Gio is good for me to start with. In the end we can Always switch to plan B.
- Therefore it is important to set a date. 1 or 2 weeks before we know which teams/locations participate and decide to go big or not.

Ok, shoot. First, a date! Lets start with what month. March ?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The weekend of March 15/16 would work for me.
We must not forget some participants are first time RCS64 users. We need to give the time to get used to the screen and features.

-Gio's suggestion means Sunday morning March 16, 08:00 in Auckland, Saturday night March 15 for (20:00/19:00) Amsterdam/London and Saturday 11:00 Seattle. Check ?

- Why 2 hours ? It is the first thing that came to mind. For the reasons Greg mentioned (first time/time difference), but 4 hours would be fine with me too. What do people think ? I understand for most people It is quite an organisation for 'just' 2 hours. There is no reason why you shouldn't pick up the controller after the event to race some more, or we decide to race longer now ?

- borders as much as you have, NO BARRIERS

- I would avoid pacers if possible. It has been a while since I used them, but 2 hours (or more) pacers on constant speed, there is a risk something (most likely the car) goes wrong and you have no time to set up a new pacer.

I would say a minimum of 2 cars on track.
If one human team, than the 2nd car is a constant speed, no lane changing pacer on 'best' lane.

- no limit to team members

For the tyres, yes I am working on a deal with Mr Modifier, but haven't found the best way to do It. More on that soon.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have done several endurance races with scalextric cars without any problem. But I believe a car (motor) suffers more from constant throttle than a human controlled car. RCS will adjust the speed but still. It is more that I think that pacers need attention from someone. Say you have one team (2 people) and 2 pacers. Leaves 1 teammate to do the marshalling, keeping track of world-standings and fuel-/tyre level, and make sure the pacers keep going. For me, I can live with a minimum of 2 cars on track as a rule. If 1 is a pacer, than so be It. Given the track length, I think it is wise to have not more than 4 teams on track.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
TEAMS

So far: (team names and cars/c-nrs follow)

The Netherlands, host Minardi

Team 1: Car (probably) Aston Martin DBR (Marcel,...)
Team 2: Car (probably) Audi R8 (Marcellus...,.....)

USA, host Mr Flippant

Team 3: Car driver (Greg,...)
Team 4: Car, driver

NZ, host Grunz

Team 5: Car, driver (Gio, ...)
Team 6: Car, driver

UK, host Mr Modifier

Team 7: Car , driver (Richard,...)
Team 8: Car, driver
Team 9: Car, driver

UK, host Wraith

Team 10:Car, driver
Team 11:Car, driver

@Chris99; Maybe there is a way, if you want and can help, to update overall standings every x minutes and post them on RCS64 forum, or alternative beter idea ?
As the overall race engineer

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Updated Checklist:

1) Date and time; Weekend March 15/16 March 16 08:00 Auckland time = March 15 19:00 Amsterdam) (*)

2) Lay Out

Lay out to be decided. Measurements living room style.

-2 standard power supplies.
-Type of controller ; all types are ok
-No use of pit sensors.
-Power taps allowed
- Borders as much as possible
- No barriers
- Single pit lane
- No single lane curves

3) Cars

Modern Scalextric GT with interior and lights.

Out of the box, no magnet, Mr Modifier urethanes, standard chip.

C-number to be approved by 'organisation'.

4) Event settings

Practice 15 minutes (*)
Qualify 15 minutes (*)
(every position = 1.5 track piece. Pole is first track piece connected to PB-track piece. 3 th place = 4.5 track piece, and so on. All cars in same lane)
Endurance 2 hours (*)

Tyre wear : yes
Tyre settings : * (a profile will be made and shared)
Available sets of tyres : Hard / Soft (*)
Tyre change time : 30 seconds (*)

Fuel load simualtion: YES (tank size/burn rate/refill rate to be shared)(*)

(tyre/fuel should last about 15 min.)

Parallel tyre change/refuel allowed

False start detection ; YES

Race end ; All cars same lap

No track call (Marshalls)

Throttle profiles (no limit)

Brake setting (Dynamic/no brakes/button all allowed)

5) Racing Rules

-No contact
-Stop and Go at False start (detected by RCS) and pushing car of track (applied by keyboard)
- Driver change at every pit stop (except stop and go)

Teams; At least 2 drivers/team

Minimum of 2 cars on track. If 1 human team, than 2nd car is constant speed, no lane changing pacer in best lane.

WINNER: The team with the most laps. In case of equal amount of laps, qualify result decides the winner.

(*) To be confirmed

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
UPDATE:

Route1Racing will kindly provide the tyres

- 2 pairs rear tyres per location.

- If you need/want more, that is up to you and you should contact Richard (Route1racing) directly about this.

3 weeks in advance we need the complete list to give Route1Racing time to produce and deliver the tyres.

(this offer is based on a maximum of 8 different locations)

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Pit sensors: don't think every location has them, that's why I propose not to use them, same for everybody.
Maximum size: 1.5m x 5 m. Ok for everybody?
Track pieces: I think first make a lay-out, than see what is missing.

Real time data: It is not necessary to do the skype/teamview through race computer, if you have a camera. Besides that, I think we have the realtime html feature in RCS by the time the event takes place.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

-So, NZ, USA and the Netherlands are ok with March 14/15(!)
Mr Modifier and Wraith, can you confirm ? And Chris ?

-About pit sensors, what Greg says. Not really necessary for this event. I see Greg doesn't have them on the temporary track, and I think more people don't.

-Agreed about the teams, minimum of 2 team members, 3 max.

-Total race time; I'd have to check. Anyway, qualifying makes sense, I am happy with that

-Tyres: We just change rear tyres. For the compund, I have no experience with these tyres, I think Mr Modifier should decide for us.

-For this time, let's keep the cars in out of the box shape, including the guides. Just take out magnet, and fit the urethane rear tyres.

-That said, It is wise to have at least 1 spare car ready at every location, just in case. If you know the C-numbers, please share them.

-Chris as the engineer would be fantastic, let's decide what programs to use and test.

- I would like to see 2 or 3 track lay-outs for the 1,5 x 5 m. with the same track pieces. Proposal: Chris decides on March 14 which track it will be

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Great! We need markers for at least 12 cars
I am serious !

I don't have 6 XLC's, I don't mind replacing XLC's by normal track, let's say at least 3 XLC's are mandatory ?

PS Can you mirror v3 so that it drives completely different to v2 ?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
What would make It drive completely different, I guess X ?

I am serious about the 12 (possibly more) grid positions. For example, after qualifying you have the 12 th time, you start the 2 hr endurance on the 12 th track piece.

3 XLC's as minimum rule would be fine with me.

2 RH pitlane
4 XLC
6 R3
4 R4

Straights / R2 R1 etc no problem.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks Chris, Richard,

Practice session 20 min.

Qualify session 10 min.

Than we have 20 min to determine starting grid.

Race 2 hrs., 3 hrs or 4 hrs. Let's say the locations that are in now decide the rules, race length etc. Other locations are welcome but follow what has been decided. All agree ?

I prefer 3 hours as first choice,
2nd 2 hrs,
last choice 4 hrs.

Let me know yours.

Time/date;

For UK It will be March 14. Practice start 18:00. Qualify 18:30, 19:00 start race

For the Netherlands and France +1 hr.

For USA Sunday March 15, practice 11:00, qualify 11:30, race 12:00

For NZ Saturday March 14, practice 07:00 qualify 07:30, race 08:00

So medium compound It will be.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Hi guys. Some corrections/comments

Time/date;

1 hour later as Gio suggested and corrected date for USA

For UK It will be March 14. Practice start 19:00. Qualify 19:30, 20:00 start race

For the Netherlands and France +1 hr. (21:00 race start)

For USA March 14, practice 12:00, qualify 12:30, race 13:00

For NZ Sunday March 15, practice 08:00 qualify 08:30, race 09:00

Race length/Spare car

I understand with an endurance, you should repair your car and otherwise race over. But, since it is a first time and only 2-4 hours, I suggest each team has a spare car ready. It is up to the team to decide if they want to repair the original car, but once a spare car is on track, It should finish the race.

I have a feeling It should be 2 hours for this race. We can always decide to do a 2nd race

Cars

Audi R8
Aston Martin
Bentley GT3
Lotus Evora
Corvette C6R
Maserati Trofeo
Ferrari F430
Jaguar XKR GT3
McLaren MP4-12C

*REMARK* For me No DPR would be allowed, the older Aston Martins are not DPR. This would allow also the Ford GT and Porsche. Agree ?

High detailed with lights and interior.
90-100 gram.
No magnet.
Urethane tyres medium compound Route1Racing.
1 set of rear tyres allowed, in case of failure of tyres (highly unlikely), replace by original tyres.
Gluing in the motor, axles bushings allowed
Putting ferrite man on leads,
Lubrication allowed

Qualify
I like the virtual grid. It is a psychologic disadvantage, and the last time I did an endurance the numbers 1 and 2 were VERY close. Although it seems we need a virtual grid of 20 cars
Welcome DAMO!!!

Lay out

I like the switchback, but 13 x R3 is too much for me. R4 I must check, I may have 8.

My idea was to have 2 or 3 lay outs with the same track pieces and only decide the day before (Friday 13) what layout It will be, to prevent people practice for days and days on the lay out of the official race.

Time to summarize everything in 1 document, I will start with that soon.
I think we will agree about rules, cars tracks etc., leaves out one important part, what program to use to keep track of all locations ?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Hi guys;

Tracks;

V4,V5, V6 all ok for me, just need to check my stock.
So one these 3 It will be than.

GRID: YEs, just keep adding positions, it will take some more teams before we run out of track

Cars;
Mr Modifier, If you can source a High Detail DPR I think It would be good.
I am not saying I don't agree to use SR with added weight, but It will keep the rules clear and avoids discussion.

2013+ not necessary for me, as long as everything inside is standard configuration.

I am more 'worried' about the modded APB's. In any case, It will be interesting to see the results. I am looking forward to the analysis afterwards

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.