SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 2 cents...

I like Greg's track submission best so far because it is a little less of a 'paper clip point and shoot' style layout.
Only changes to it would be:
1) less constant R2 radius turns
2) include an R1
3) changing the turn combination before the main straight into an R3/4 sweeper.

Regarding the modified ABPs (like mine) - couldn't we just match the voltage at the rails of the modified APB tracks to match that of the stock APBs tracks? Or is there something else I am missing?

Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 31 Jan 2015, 17:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Min amount of weight added is another fine idea. If people choose a light or a heavy car, it's up to them. However, as lighter tends to be better, I may want to pick up a Lotus and amend my tyre preferences. ;-)

Same for me.

Lotus Exige V6 Cup-R - C3513

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 1 Feb 2015, 08:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oops! Just realized that's the super resistant one. If you want to run that body, you'll need to get a high detail version and do an interior swap.
The yellow one is high detail.

So it is. I'll go with this one then:
Scalextric Lotus Exige R-GT #16, C3520

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tire Wear Issue?

I just got the USA-Seattle track up and running and completed two separate practice sessions and I believe we will have a tire issue with the current settings for tire wear and # sets of tires.

I used the hard tires and used no brakes (no dynamic and no brake button) and they only lasted ~15 minutes (exactly 100 laps).
Soft tires will last ~7:30 minutes.

Assuming I have all the settings entered correctly in RCS, we will not have enough tires to finish a 2 hour race:
5 sets of hard will last approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes
4 sets of soft will last approx. 30 minutes
Assuming no one makes any accidental tire changes AND runs their tires down to the rim, we will all run out of tires after approx. 1 hour and 45 minutes of racing.

Am I missing something?
Has anyone else tested this?

Mike

P.S. Just curious, but do we have any other father-son teams out there?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Excellent - 7 sets of hard tires will work (if we don't use brakes).

I'll try more tests tomorrow with dynamic braking turned on to see if that will be enough tires.

Is it the intention of this race to allow racers using dynamics brakes to have enough tires to finish the race but their consequence for using brakes is that they will have to spend more time in the pits?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure how much quicker the lap times are if you brake but that is the real question isn't it?

Does the race data sent to the server include the number of pits stops?
Obviously that is not needed to determine the final standings but it might be helpful to have that data when deciding upon the race parameters for the other ISC races that are sure to follow...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have some more issues involving tire wear...

We are using an option in RCS64 that states "40% of race with soft tyres"

If this means that 40% of our race time (or laps) must be on soft tires then this number is way too high.
Given the current tyre allocation of 7 hard and 4 soft, the maximum % of race time we can achieve with soft tyres is ~23%.
I say maximum is 23% because I verified the amount of race time I could achieve on 4 sets of soft tyres was 30 minutes without using any brakes. Using brakes will reduce the maximum % possible down to ~17% of race time.

I suggest changing this number to an achievable % for someone using brakes... say 15%.

I would also like to suggest adding one more set of tyres (hard or soft) because the margin of error is currently very small - one accidental tyre change and you may not finish the race.

It sounds like several teams will be practicing in the next few days. Hopefully some of us can try to simulate the full 2 hours with the current settings and then provide feedback in time for any discussions and rules updates.

MM

·
Registered
123 Posts
The USA team had a practice session today and we have a few questions:

1) Can the pit lane be on the outside lane or does it need to be on the inside lane?
2) We will most likely have two teams meaning we need one pace car - is it fixed lane (and which one) or random?
3) Are we required to use a certain number of soft tires?
4) I know it has been mentioned in this thread but the latest rules do not seem to mention the gluing and truing of rear or front tires
5) Can the front tires be modified for less grip (e.g. nail polish or super glue)?

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (Minardi @ 2 Mar 2015, 10:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>6.8 without brakes...but who says you aren't fooling us

A few notes on that 6.8
Good news:
* the actual time was closer to 6.9 than 6.8 (something like 6.88)
* the driver may have used the brake button on that lap
Bad news:
* the driver got that time within the first 10 laps after filling up on fuel
* the driver is 12 years old

QUOTE (Minardi @ 2 Mar 2015, 10:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got to say, knowing all these tracks around the world being tested on, I can feel the pressure build up

I'm sure I am not alone when I say we really appreciate your vision and effort on this event

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (Minardi @ 7 Mar 2015, 03:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Seattle, I have to ask, I see your laptimes on the website, all of them below 7.
No matter how hard I push, 7,7 is my best time, and yes, cleaning tyres, track etc will help, but no way I can reach those times.
- Is it the same track
-Cars according to rules
- Modified PB, on which voltage ?

Yes, it is the official track
Cars are per the rules
Unmodified APM with two PSUs

Please note that the car names associated with those entries are not always correct as I was often too lazy to change the name of the car I was using.
Also...
- Some of them are using a pace car which was way too fast - I am trying to get it in the 8.0-8.5 range so that it does not rear end any of the slower drivers.
- I may have started a practice session with a Bentley and finished with the Audi
- Some of the fastest times are also when I was experimenting with dynamic brakes

QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 7 Mar 2015, 08:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On my track with stock APB and the two scaley PSUs, both Trevor and I can get those lapping times without problem on the official track with the official car during racing with the two pacers. What surprise me is that they are able to get 6.6 with the Piggy Bentley: mine can only lap at around 6.8.

My best time with the Bentley was 6.7x and there were no other cars on the track.
I like my Audi a little more but my son prefers the Bentley. Not sure what we will end up using yet.

That is truly impressive if you can easily get a 6.5 with two pace cars!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will test my pace car with and with the autocorrect option and report my findings.

Regarding the APB, the USA-Seattle team is using unmodified APB with two basic PSUs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some ideas from team USA for those unhappy with their lap times:

1) clean the track - mine had some residue from silicone tires
2) a warmer track will have better grip - temp at my track is around 15 degrees C
3) check the continuity of the track - there always seems to be a few bad connections
4) using 2 PSUs or having the correct voltage if using an APB with the variable power mod
5) glue the rear tires (I use nail polish) and true them
6) adding 5-10 grams down low helps handling
7) practice, practice, practice

Anyone have additional ideas?

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (thoefnagel @ 11 Mar 2015, 00:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I need to tune this Maserati a bit more. It is a bit high and narrow compared to the DBR9.
Also comes out of the slot too easy. Mostly when riding at a 'safe' speed

Somebody with a tip for this?

One of the guys on our teams got a Trofeo and we found it to be the slowest due to it being very long and narrow and tall.
Deslotted way too easily.

I would recommend a different car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (Minardi @ 11 Mar 2015, 01:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>we had a lot of fun yesterday practicing, racing, strategic talk, talk about the opponents and their impossible lap times !

I have seen some posted times of 6.2xx and 6.1xx.
If those racers can achieve those times during the actual race, well, I'm afraid the rest of us will be in the 'also ran' category.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.