SlotForum banner
241 - 260 of 932 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

The Bentley guide depth was mentioned here the other day. I've just lined up a few cars to show how it compares in a GIF. Have a look at this:

Not actually much difference to the Porsche or Maserati but shallower than Audi and Corvette. After doing this I wondered if it'd be better to do the test with the braids off as they'll all differ slightly especally as some have been used already. Might set up another round of pics later.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
Good work!

Now I know why the Audi is so good around our track!!! Gonna have to check one against my F430 now!!! Now who do I know with an R8???

Braids is a good point - can't seem to find mention in this thread.

Do we have to run stock Scalextric braids or can we equip the standard round quick change plate with other braids?

I've got plenty of both. I would prefer to use different braids but if it's the rules to remain standard then standard it will be.

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
As much as I like other types of braid, I think the stock braid can work really well. Besides, with the piles of spares I have, it wouldn't be hard to pick a few with nice, straight, good braid, and set them up in advance. If wear becomes an issue, they can be quickly swapped out.

As for the Bentley, what I noticed on mine is that it's at a slight angle, such that the leading edge is higher, not in the slot as deep, as the back of the guide.

Also, thanks for the clarification on tires.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Richard,

We're still waiting confirmation on the 3rd team and to test cars.

As were the nearest I hope this doesn't cause an issue.

If you happen to be going to the MK swap meet I'm happy to pick them up to save any postage costs.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
A thought has just crossed my mind.

We use Truspeed controllers and SCS wireless setup. Is this OK?

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
Colin - as you are nearest I can post to you last. I won't be at MK but postage to the UK is not a lot.

I am hoping to start posting out orders on Monday 9th February. NZ can expect delivery by Monday 16th. I will try to time deliveries so everybody gets their tyres around the same date. It also gives us a buffer if there are any issues.

We have Truspeed controllers hard wired. I don't see controllers as a major issue - after all we all have the same 64 steps (or is it 32 - can never remember).

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 5 Feb 2015, 09:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As much as I like other types of braid, I think the stock braid can work really well. Besides, with the piles of spares I have, it wouldn't be hard to pick a few with nice, straight, good braid, and set them up in advance. If wear becomes an issue, they can be quickly swapped out.

As for the Bentley, what I noticed on mine is that it's at a slight angle, such that the leading edge is higher, not in the slot as deep, as the back of the guide.

Also, thanks for the clarification on tires.

Yep, mine too, deeper at the rear. How does your handle MrF? I haven't had it on track yet.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
ParrotGod
11,488 Posts
Mr Mod, actually if you search for Minardi post, it says that each team gets one set of tyres plus a spare one in case things go wrong. I remember this as I was going to ask about putting the second set on the spare car. If this is not the case then I need to order more.

·
ParrotGod
11,488 Posts
QUOTE (zarko @ 3 Feb 2015, 03:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>GRUNZ - I apologise if I sounded rude or came across as negative, but I just wanted to make sure we all obey by the same rules. I am happy with whatever decision is made regarding the weight distribution, just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page.

Hey Zarko
no need to apologise man. All is cool. ;-)
I was interpreting your post as something about the ballast distribution was bothering you and I wanted to understand what it was. Rules are good but I also want to challenge/understand the logic behind them.

What really counts in the end is to have fun.

·
ParrotGod
11,488 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 5 Feb 2015, 09:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When you receive your tyres we recommend gluing and truing to get the best performance. True the tyres using 400 or 800 grit wet and dry paper (the dark grey stuff) or similar. Use it dry. I suggest you try to avoid putting too much heat into the tyres so a rest between bouts of truing is probably a good idea.

Do you just use sand paper on the track? or do you use a truer?

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 4 Feb 2015, 14:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We use Truspeed controllers and SCS wireless setup. Is this OK?

I'm not sure what we'll use. I might want to use my slot.it controller, but my teammate might prefer a TruSpeed. As I'm used to analog racing where controllers are very personal choices, I have no problem with people using whatever controller they like best. So long as fuel consumption is based on car speed rather than throttle position, which I believe it is with RCS64, then any throttle curve would be fair game as well.

QUOTE (Damo @ 4 Feb 2015, 16:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep, mine too, deeper at the rear. How does your handle MrF? I haven't had it on track yet.

I haven't tried it magless yet.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I'd like to use the Truspeed.

Oh, here's another GIF, this time with the braid plates off.

If you place your curser right where the Bentley guide finishes you can get a good idea of the difference.

Damo

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Short update

***Important message***
Martin (programmer of RCS64) really has not much time on his hands these days and probably won't be able to join the event. He does his best to work with Trevor to get a version ready with a build in link to Trevor's site so RCS uploads data every x seconds and we all can see the live standings. This will mean all locations will have to download a special event version of RCS64 when It is ready.
Thanks for the hard work guys!

Sorry about the tyres.

My idea for the rules was to use 1 set of R1R tyres/team. If they fail, fit original stock scalextric tyres back.

I have to read back about the ordering and payment of the sets of tyres. I will contact Richard, I am sure we will work this out.

BRAIDS; only stock scalextric allowed

CONTROLLERS: all types/brands allowed

WEIGHT: +10 gram is allowed (anywhere in the car)

TRACK: Yes, we stick with the lay-out as posted by Mr F (POST #140)

Race settings

I am not sure exporting/importing files will be easier than entering the values directly in RCS. We can export car and tyre data for import and If I remember correct, also event settings. I will make a step by step guide how to set it up yourself, It is not that difficult. I will also make the files public, but for example, if you have the default car values, you only change tank size to 400 and that's It. A lot easier than importing a file.

First time RCS64 users will have to practice the pit stops and especially experience the 'feel' of tyres loosing grip and increasing brake distance.

---I need to get the document out!---

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
Mr Flippant - can we have a detailed track layout please - difficult to tell from the photo.

A list of track pieces and the order they are laid out starting from the PB and going in the direction of travel is usually how I record my tracks but any clear notation is fine.

We will be setting up the track and trying RCS64 for the first time on Sunday. Steep learning curve!

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
R1 - Orange. There are TWO pieces
R2 - light blue. There are 17 pieces
R3 - Deep Purple. There are TWO pieces
R4 - Violet. There are 8 pieces.

The only "special" piece is a single elevated crossover, which is the same as three short straights. Either will work, whichever you have on hand.
The rest are standard straights, lane changers, and a half straight.

QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 29 Jan 2015, 13:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
A couple issues.

First, I believe it was determined that power taps are ok? We plan to crimp all our tracks prior to set up, so it shouldn't be a problem to have no taps, but I do like to have one going from next to the base to the mid-ish point on the layout, usually just in front of the base. To avoid unnecessary work, though, please let us know the ruling on power taps in your final document.

Second, I asked this previously, but we need to know what voltage to set our PSU to. All of our bases have been upgrade to the high-power, variable voltage version, so our power from even a stock PSU will be much higher than through an unmodified base. Can anyone verify the voltage loss through the regulator, or some how measure the power at the rails, so that we can set our power supply accordingly? I'd hate to lose because our power was too low, but I'd also hate to win because it was too high. I'll review the thread about the mod, and post there if I can't find an answer.

Turns out I'm a few pieces short for the layout, so I won't be able to practice it at all before race day. That's OK.
It will be just as interesting to me, especially since it looks like DRAWW will be the only ones fielding the Exige.

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 5 Feb 2015, 01:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you just use sand paper on the track? or do you use a truer?

I use sandpaper on a piece of track (I have an old analogue PSU, power track and throttle). I can't justify a proper truer. I have promised myself that I will get round to making one some time - probably once I get my man cave sorted out.

I don't know how urethane tyres behave in the blade type truers. They are quite easy to sand but seem to take longer than standard rubber.

@Mr Flippant - thanks for the track plan plus key - didn't realise it was the same as post #140 (it's an age thing
)

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
I haven't met a urethane tire that doesn't true faster and easier, with less trouble, than most (if not all) rubber. When you say "blade type" I assume you mean like the Tire Razor, Area 3, and whatever the original was that the others took after. They work fantastically for urethane tires. It's all the different kind of rubber that are more tricky to use on a truer, because you have a tendency to want to just let it spin for a bit, when you have to be just as attentive as you are when you're holding the car on a piece of sandpaper. All the truer really does is make the "holding up the car" part more precise, which happens to be what's most important.
I usually sand with a pretty low grit, and rarely bother polishing the tire. The tires always grip very well, and the track will do all the polishing I need.

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
QUOTE (Minardi @ 2 Feb 2015, 01:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For USA March 14, practice 13:00, qualify 13:30, race 14:00

Just to be clear, that's Pacific time. If there are any other groups in the states that want to participate, they should adjust to their time zone accordingly. I'm sure the same is true for other regions.

241 - 260 of 932 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.