SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 932 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
17,074 Posts
I thought you might like that. ;-)

Rick, you have a formula for how many cars "fit" on a digital track. Something to do with number of lanes and running length. Can you share that here? Maybe it would be good to use it to determine how many (if any) pace cars should be present at each location.

·
Circuit Owner
5,966 Posts
No track calls works for me too. We should be able to arrange enough marshals for deslots to be quickly rectified.

I favour a shorter track in a smaller space simply because I will have to do this at home (no WiFi and no phone signal at our club) and the biggest floor space I have at home is 4.5m x 2.5m.

Take a look at my Amman Valley track - that fits into that space quite nicely and it has two pitlanes - one for refuelling and one for stop-go penalties.

As most other locations are going for 2 teams I think we will limit ourselves to two teams also - presumably we could have more than two people in a team?

March or April sound good - but avoid Easter. And if it slips to May - avoid Gaydon

I am taking to Minardi about tyres. Shipping to any part of the world costs GBP 3.90 and as the Route1Racing site automatically charges GBP 3.70 shipping I am happy to cover the small difference. So if you want any number of tyres in advance and they weigh less than 100g - simply order through the website. Exact tyre dimensions and the exact dimensions of the wheels they are designed to fit are also on the website.

I think the RCS team will be issuing tyres in due course so there is obligation to buy unless you want try out various cars to decide which you want to race

·
ParrotGod
11,551 Posts
I would say let's try to aim for the weekend of the 7/8 March. If we do 8 am on Sunday 8 (Auckland time) it should work fine for all the other locations (check here).

Mr Modifier, if you can get some extra pieces to build a new layout then I would suggest we go for a layout that is new to all the participants.

Colin, I would suggest to use borders for the corners (inside and outside) but we might want to remove the barriers to avoid that the cars lean on them (like in Mike's track Raceline Raceway - one of DRAWW's tracks).

As for the pace cars, I stand by my suggestions: one team/two pace cars per lane. I would be even tempted to have the pace car in the inner lane to do the pit stop.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
We don't use barriers but borders help the sideways action, especially if it's magless.

Once the date is in stone I will book our hall, any team without a track is of course welcome to use avilable team spaces.

·
Circuit Owner
5,966 Posts
I was suggesting you look at Amman Valley Raceway as an example of what can be built into a smaller space. Wouldn't want an unfair advantage

I have lots of unassembled track including R1 hairpins (the non-squeeze type), and a few R3 and R4 turns as well as the usual R2s. I also have three XLCs a left hand pit lane and a spare APB.

What I don't have and do not want to buy are any single lane curves for fancy pit lanes - rip-off prices for the tiniest bit of track.

·
ParrotGod
11,551 Posts
Got the message...no single lane curves. I will have a look at Amman Valley Raceway: I like what you did with the folding tables. Are you still using them to set the track up? What is their size? (these tables would used be for another project of mine).

·
Greg Gaub
17,074 Posts
Sorry, weekend of March 7/8 is out for me. No possible way for me to race on that weekend. How about the previous or following weekends? I wouldn't mind sooner, but realize that planning may take some more time.

I'm confused about the tires. Is Minardi working out a deal of some kind, or will we be ordering for our locations separately?

I've got plenty of single lane curves in my spares. hehe.
I haven't asked yet, but I can probably borrow a box of borders from Alan Smith, as he often hosts away events on Scalextric track with borders. If he doesn't have anything happening during our event, I should be good for borders.

·
ParrotGod
11,551 Posts
Hi Damien
Depending on the layout I should have enough outside borders. But I do not have inner ones. When the time comes I will let you know what we need and if you can supply the missing one would be great!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The weekend of March 15/16 would work for me.
We must not forget some participants are first time RCS64 users. We need to give the time to get used to the screen and features.

-Gio's suggestion means Sunday morning March 16, 08:00 in Auckland, Saturday night March 15 for (20:00/19:00) Amsterdam/London and Saturday 11:00 Seattle. Check ?

- Why 2 hours ? It is the first thing that came to mind. For the reasons Greg mentioned (first time/time difference), but 4 hours would be fine with me too. What do people think ? I understand for most people It is quite an organisation for 'just' 2 hours. There is no reason why you shouldn't pick up the controller after the event to race some more, or we decide to race longer now ?

- borders as much as you have, NO BARRIERS

- I would avoid pacers if possible. It has been a while since I used them, but 2 hours (or more) pacers on constant speed, there is a risk something (most likely the car) goes wrong and you have no time to set up a new pacer.

I would say a minimum of 2 cars on track.
If one human team, than the 2nd car is a constant speed, no lane changing pacer on 'best' lane.

- no limit to team members

For the tyres, yes I am working on a deal with Mr Modifier, but haven't found the best way to do It. More on that soon.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have done several endurance races with scalextric cars without any problem. But I believe a car (motor) suffers more from constant throttle than a human controlled car. RCS will adjust the speed but still. It is more that I think that pacers need attention from someone. Say you have one team (2 people) and 2 pacers. Leaves 1 teammate to do the marshalling, keeping track of world-standings and fuel-/tyre level, and make sure the pacers keep going. For me, I can live with a minimum of 2 cars on track as a rule. If 1 is a pacer, than so be It. Given the track length, I think it is wise to have not more than 4 teams on track.

21 - 40 of 932 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.