SlotForum banner
701 - 720 of 932 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,960 Posts
We managed 755 laps with our best car.

Had to abandon the pace car as it lasted 3 laps going stupid slow then sped up so fast it wouldn't stay on the track!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Thank you guys! In the end, the website worked very well!
We had to abandon the pace car as well, after 83 laps. I have to find a better way to do this, or to set it up.

We managed 831 and 739 laps. The midfield is pretty close!

I can see Ohope struggled with pit stops, possibly forgot to set the tank size ? Or minimum time to open pit menu ?

1001/1002 laps is extremely fast!

Official results will follow this week. I have to analyse some data and probably ask you for your html-files (or exported result file)

All I know is that we had a lot of fun and definetely want to continue with this. There is room for improvement, I agree but It was all worth It.

·
ParrotGod
11,086 Posts
So, still we do not have an official winner then? ;-)

the pacecars on our location performed well until the end except for one that kept loosing its id but we managed to reprogram it and put it back racing. Hell, our pacecars managed a third and forth placement...

There is a crazy fastest lap time during the race of 5.976 with a maserati trofeo by the scalextric-shop. That is extremely fast!

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
We all had a great time and were pretty close lap times in each team.

We did run out of tyres due to a mistake causing two sets to get used on one pit stop, maybe there should be a setting that says once your tyres have been changed you have to exit the pits and come back in if you want to change tyres again?

We also have two cars die, both with broken wires either to the braids or to the ferrite man which is pretty terrible as both cars were brush out of the box tonight and neither managed two hours of racing, we didn't even suffer any big bumps to blame the failure on.

I would love to do this again but would push hard for the change above and for the cats of choice to be Carrera as we race them for months without a single mechanical failure.

I look forward to seeing the results, the guys down under certainly know how to get some speed out of their cars.

Oh, one other point, I watched the amp draw on our PSU and at no point did it go over two amps which means there is no benefit of having the PSU over two standard Scalextric ones, something else to be looked into for a future race.

Software was rock solid though, well done to all the work you guys did for this event.

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (distantkiwi @ 14 Mar 2015, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Giovanni likes the t-shirt of the kid on the stream.

That is my 12 year old.
Maybe it is the shirt but he managed a 6.3xx in qualifying.

Thanks all - that was a really cool experience!

We saved our race results and can send them when and wherever needed.

MM

·
Registered
462 Posts
Man we had an awesome race night! Thanks everybody. We had a very close race with our two teams, only 5 laps difference created in the last 30 minutes!!! Looks like we both finished top 10. Even the pacer did its job perfectly.it even lead the race for 45 minutes or so. After that it began to slow down. But still performed 9 second laps in the end.

·
ParrotGod
11,086 Posts
To Colin: did you put wires between the pickups and the ferrite man? Also, did you use a good flexible wire?
The car we have used for the race has done a lot of laps, falling twice on the floor (happened also today during the race at the 9th pitstop - my bad) and it is still going solid. So, all the other cars that I have prepared with the proper cable. Some time ago I used some cheaper alarm cable to make the leads and kept breaking.
So to be honest as far as reliability is concerned scaley are ok if properly prepared but not out of the box. But I am keen on trying Carrera DTM cars - would be a cool grid.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
No, straight out of box, wasn't aware mods were allowed, not that s £40 car should need modifications to last 2 hours.

I vote carrera DTM next time

Also like to thanks Richard for the amazing tyres.

All in all the best nights racing for a very long time

·
ParrotGod
11,086 Posts
It is written in the rules since revision 1 to put leads on ferrite man. I do not really understand how it is possible that you guys have to pay so much for scaley cars! Here in NZ we pay 60 NZ dollars (and usually I can push the price down to 55): we are talking about 30 quids! On the other hand, Carrera with lights and chip are around 100 NZD. Now considering that with that price I can buy a white body kit from NSR, I would expect solid performance out of the box.

·
Circuit Owner
5,960 Posts
Thanks for the tyres feedback!

Fastest lap we could manage was a 7.5.

Could not see the website at any point so no idea how we did.

Good fun but find any lap time in the 6's very hard to believe but maybe because our track was at 12 degrees!

So how did we do?

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
We managed high 6s, well Zarko and Al did.

We did do everything we could to get the cleanest track and sat in s nice warm room

Did see that in the rules, good to know next time. Still should be needed.

Carrera digital cars cost £50 in the UK, twice that of an analogue car, although you can usually get £10-£12 for the chip on eBay.

·
ParrotGod
11,086 Posts
If you guys want to look at a video of how to do laps in the low 6, have a look at Greg live feed of the event ustream (I hope he will upload also on his youtube channel).

Did you use any brake at all? I use three brake points to get to 6.1xx and if I do a perfect lap (braking at the last moment enough to slowdown the car but not to stop it) nailing all of the three points then I can also do 6.0xx. I even managed a 6.003 managing to stay on track.

I can easily managed 6.6 with the piggy Bentley using your tyres not even glued on the rims. They are even not trued actually.

By the way, I love your tyres. ;-)

·
Registered
462 Posts
We were able to get the laptimes to 6.8 minimum if we pushed very hard. But that was with my maserati trofeo, which is certainly not the fastest due to narrowness and height. If everything would come together and with my fastest car, I can imagine 6.5 is possible. But 6.0?? I dream about it
. very good driving Auckland!

·
Greg Gaub
16,843 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 14 Mar 2015, 17:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you guys want to look at a video of how to do laps in the low 6, have a look at Greg live feed of the event ustream (I hope he will upload also on his youtube channel).

The end gets cut off, but you can see the practicing, qualify, and most of the race.
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/hhd9vgK7Gxs?rel=0

QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 14 Mar 2015, 17:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you use any brake at all? I use three brake points to get to 6.1xx and if I do a perfect lap (braking at the last moment enough to slowdown the car but not to stop it) nailing all of the three points then I can also do 6.0xx. I even managed a 6.003 managing to stay on track.

The fastest time we got with my Exige was using brakes. We're having to push REALLY hard to get much less than 7s, and breaking under 7 with the Exige was a moment of short lived glory. The Audi R8 could lap consistently in the mid 6s range, and down to 6.2x when pushed, but all of us are amazed that you were able to get down to 6.0x. That's some sharp driving.

We noticed that tire wear was increased when using breaks, even if we kept to the 3 brake points or less. I thought tire wear was only higher than base level if brake count exceeded the number of brake points in the settings. It would seem that tire wear can't be LESS than 1% per lap, which makes sense, more or less. I remember testing a while ago with higher wear levels, and I could save tire wear by braking less, but I didn't realize that using the allowed number of brake points would result in increased wear. As such, and with no incentive to get the fastest lap during the race, and the lengthy time it takes to replace tires, we ran most laps with no brakes.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Hi All,

Lots of fun had today. We did have our share of issues though. The pace car kept getting faster and faster so we had to remove it at lap 80. We hadn't any practice with the software until just before the race and most of us had some issues getting a smooth pitstop and selecting everything ok including the exiting procedure. We had real tyre issues and whilst some sets were fine, we had sets of new tyres that were dead as soon as we left the pits, literally, as soon as we left. Some lasted a lap or two and that was it. This meant that one team ran out of tyres well before the end of the race.

So we all had ourselves scratching heads trying to work things out. In the future things will be different and we'll get a chance to test and practice which will help lots. The software is truly impressive and I am excited about spending some more time with the guys seeing how we can get the most from it.

Our two Bentleys were superb. One was the SR version which I swapeed out the glass, interior and lights for from a high detail one that we had returned to us that was damaged in freight (lucky to get the opportunity!). We had no problems with the cars at all and they are running smooth and perfect now still.

Cheers,
Damo

701 - 720 of 932 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.