SlotForum banner
881 - 900 of 932 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 19 Mar 2015, 07:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By the way, while Marcel is sorting out the details for the next event, anyone with the track ready (I have the official one still ready to go in the garage) fancies to do some online racing this weekend? Just for the fun of it. We can go for a different format (like two 30 min races) to keep things simple. If interested drop me a PM.

My track is already in boxes as my friend needs the space

I have to built the track on the attic again. That is quite a long space (up to 7, 8 meters) but very narrow at some point.
Would be nice if we could manage to create a layout that suits most people. Then we can easily do online races together.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
13th (Saturday) should suit us too
Same start time of 8pm (UK time) would be good as we have some members who live 2 hours away so finishing at 11pm means they still get home at a silly hour.

·
ParrotGod
10,984 Posts
We have an issue here: With the switch to daylight savings, our times are all screwed up:http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meet...mp;p4=234"" target="_blank">time and day</a>

Saturday 8pm UK time is Sunday 6 am Auckland time and it is not good for us. I have to take the dogs out for their walk and have a proper breakfast. The best we could do is Sunday 8 am Auckland time (and even this is quite early for Trevor). Ideally, we should have it for the evening here in NZ, morning in Ams&London...however for Seattle would be quite late.

The track size 1,5 x 5m is a good compromise already for most of us. I could go either narrower or wider (up to 1.8 m) but I cannot really go longer than 5,7m (that is the length of my garage).

Martin, not time to waste in playing with us, man! Look at your backlog...lots of things to implement. ;-)

Marcel, I might be able to join the race for the slotcar festival.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Zarko,

The 13th falls on one of our championship nights, I wanted to avoid these races impacting the championship otherwise it just keeps getting delayed, were still running 2014 and its almost Q2

Now we are scheduled to run 3 races in each race meet there is no way we can fit in this as well.

If the other guys can make a week before or after we can move the championship however I can't move it if they can't make the other date.

Colin

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 19 Mar 2015, 18:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....
Marcel, I might be able to join the race for the slotcar festival.

??? What race for the slotcar festival?

Are you talking about Gaydon? Do you need help on the ground?

Spill the beans guys - some of us might wanna play

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Have you decided on car class yet, just in case I can move our monthly race so we can join you?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just updated the post race analyse excel sheet.
It contains graphs for average laptime development for all teams. You can toggle the graphs with the buttons
Also started with duration per pitstop graphs. This is not finished for all teams yet

Check out the link in my signature.

·
ParrotGod
10,984 Posts
So ISC folk, what are we going to do next? Has new thread for the next event been placed somewhere else?

My track is still in my garage and if someone is up to we could do another GT race the coming weekend (but we are going to use a different car from last time).

cheers
giovanni

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
New thread will follow soon. I am rewriting the rules document based on 4 events/year championship.

Great job Teunis, I will take some time to study your work, I like what you are doing!

@Wraith; car class will be same class for next event (DiSCA DPR GT B )

·
Greg Gaub
16,804 Posts
Gio already has the idea, but the analog club I run with has a rule that once a car wins a series, it cannot compete in the next series of the same nature. This is only for the winner of a series, not of a single race. So, if Gio wins all the ISC races for the year (that are DPR GT-B ) with the same car, and therefore wins the championship with that car, that specific car will be ineligible for competition in a future DPR GT-B event conducted by this organization.

Just a suggestion, since you're working on the rules anyway.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 ·
I have been thinking about a handicap system, or a rule that you can't use the same car for next event (not next series).
I don't want 4 of the same races this year, next race yes, as it is a learning curve but not 4x DPR GT B. I think the best thing to do is disqualify the K9 team alltogether

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just updated the race analyses excel sheet. It is pretty complete now.
All teams are in there now and can be toggled on/off.
Three charts available:

- Average laptime development
- Average pittime development
- Total pittime development

I also added three screenshots of those charts.
The pit data was a little tricky, as we don't have lap-to-lap data but only the upload data every 10 or 20 seconds.
For the next event it would be great if more data would be available.

·
ParrotGod
10,984 Posts
For us (K9 that is) it is fine to use a different car, but what are the other teams allowed to do? Stick with the same car as last time? Or are allowed to change as well (are we going to see a grid full of MP4 ;-))?
Also what does it mean a "different car"? I could by a new MP4 and develop it to be as competitive as the last one. Or different car mean a totally different model, meaning K9 is not allowed to race a MP4?

·
Greg Gaub
16,804 Posts
It means a different car. It could be the same model, even the same livery, but it must not have the same chassis, body, running gear, wheels, tires, etc of the original car. That is to say, you may not buy a new livery of the same car, and put the old car's chassis under it, or move the motor and rear axle from the old car to the new car.

You say you can "develop it to be as competitive" as the last one. That may be true. But, it is also true that your car may have been one of the good ones (motor RPMs, wheel true-ness, gear mesh, and so on), and the next one you get not so good. There's only so much you can do with a poor performing car, and short of rewinding the motor, there's little you can do for a dud of a motor.

Unfortunately, the only way to level an inherently bumpy playing field is to have specs for everything, and require testing and proof that all the specs are met, such as RPM at the wheels, tire diameter, tire width, magnetic downforce created by the motor, weight of chassis, weight of body, combined weight, gear ratio... all kinds of thing. I've know people that race in "box stock" classes, very much like what we just did, that will "cherry pick" from their choices, the best car. They are still within the rules of the competition, but have more or less spent their way to the best possible car, which defeats the spirit of the rules.

Anyway, that's all academic, really. When it comes down to it, a bad car in the hands of a good driver will still beat a good car in the hands of a bad driver. How much of a difference the cars make when the drivers are equal depends on how much time you want to spend talking about it.

·
ParrotGod
10,984 Posts
In that case, we could use the reserve car we had set up for the first race: another MP4 (#22) performing quite well given that is still with the stock boots. Another option would be to use an R8...although this particular one I am developing at the moment (the Porta one - the same model as the one used by Major Casualty Team) does not go below 6.470s at the moment.

·
ParrotGod
10,984 Posts
I think is rather a basic development. I start by doing the basics: zero-gripping the front tyres; glueing the rear tyres and trueing them. Then, I check for any side-movement on the rear axle. I try to compensate by using spacers cut from a lollypop stick. Here I tried to cut the spacers so that the axle is not too tight otherwise it will slow down the car. Next is the motor. For the MP4 we used in the previous race, I enthusiastically glued it in (I do not think I can get that motor out of the chassis now). But for the R8 I used the reverse-tape approach (as done for the ninco cars).

Then it is a matter of testing the car on the track. I usually let the screws loose, but if there is too grip then I tight them up. Also weight distribution: I try to put as close as the rear tyres if I see the car bouncing when I open up the throttle. And then try to move the ballast around to find the "sweet spot".

I do not break in the motors of the cars (I didn't do it with the MP4 for the previous race)...I rather do it by running the car around.

That's it really. I think that with the MP4 we were just lucky. And you can see from my lap times using the R8: I am not even close to MajorMagless' team best lap time and a long way from what the MP4 can achieve.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Gio - do you have any photos of the insides of your cars from after the race? Would like to see how you distributed the weight as our team have hardly any experience with adding weight since we never do it!
What we did for the race was very ineffective to say the least.

881 - 900 of 932 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.