SlotForum banner
101 - 120 of 932 Posts

·
ParrotGod
11,485 Posts
Hi Richard
Instead of building it on a table, could you build directly on the floor? most of us are doing it. For the connection, you could use a smartphone as a hotspot. We are not going to use video conferencing while racing. Plain skype will do. At least, this is going to be my set up at my place.
For sharing data, each RCS64 instance will push data to a central server and post the overall results on a html page. We just need to point a browser to the page (the page should be auto refresh every n secs).

We just need to synchronise the start of the race.

For the time: is 9 am Auckland time ok for everyone to start with the practice session (I have asked this before but marcel thinks that I am asking for the race start)?

I would suggest 20 min practice, 5 min pause, 30 min qualification, 5 min pause, start of the race at 10:00 am Auckland time.

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
I am looking for an alternative space because the "table" we have is a workbench that has been fixed in place for at least 100 years - it is an old Tailor's workshop. We could rest boards on it to make it a bit wider but length is governed by two walls
It does have WiFi because it belongs to one of our club members.

So we are trying to find an alternative venue.

Hotspot is possible BUT our club room has no mobile signal or WiFi.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 2 cents...

I like Greg's track submission best so far because it is a little less of a 'paper clip point and shoot' style layout.
Only changes to it would be:
1) less constant R2 radius turns
2) include an R1
3) changing the turn combination before the main straight into an R3/4 sweeper.

Regarding the modified ABPs (like mine) - couldn't we just match the voltage at the rails of the modified APB tracks to match that of the stock APBs tracks? Or is there something else I am missing?

Mike

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 23 Jan 2015, 06:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Damien, you might be right but I like a challenging corner. ;-) If I got time I will make another entry with a simpler one. Actually I would like to see one from you Damien: I really like what you did with your track. A 1.5x5 m version of it would be nice.

Nice one Greg. There is a nice spot where the racing line chicane (modified CLC) would sit very well. I am short of two single lane straights but I can replace them with a full straight. I tried to locate the original post of SlotCarDad but the images are gone. Do you have the original plan?

Richard, personally I am going to order several tyres for several models: you would just put down two of those pairs as the ones we should receive for this event (no need to send them separately). I am still figuring out the tyre sizes as for your email.

Finally: if you take an APB with the high power mod, could it still work with the two original power supplies?

I've just done up a version of my Little whaka Raceway with no modded pits or other pieces and I have made a single lane pit instead. Here it is. Might be too deep for some from the comments posted though? 4.38 metres by 1.88 metres (to edge of outer borders and PB). From my own experience though this is a very nice flowing circuit to drive and the R1 hairpin works beautifully.

In this form it'd have 1809cm and 1858cm lane lengths. The way I have it set up which is slightly different, the inside lane is actually faster but suffers more deslots so they both work out to be about the same over a lot of laps.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Time/date;

2 hours later as Original plan;

For UK It will be March 14. Practice start 20:00. Qualify 20:30, 21:00 start race

For the Netherlands and France +1 hr. (22:00 race start)

For USA March 14, practice 13:00, qualify 13:30, race 14:00

For NZ Sunday March 15, practice 09:00 qualify 09:30, race 10:00

Can we all live with that ?

About the lay-out : I like the lay-outs of Damo and Greg very much because they have more variation than the long straights of v4/5/6. Considering the space, we should stick with max 1.5 x 5 m. and hope Mr Modifier finds a floor

To finalize rules etc. I would like to have 3 lay-outs we agree on January 31 latest. Than I have time to make a final document with everything included.

·
ParrotGod
11,485 Posts
One question about the borders: are we going to allow only stock borders (with the rumble strip upsetting the cars) or any sort of borders (modified scaley with a flat rumble strip)? Considering that I might make some borders from foamboard, they would be clearly flat and allow the car to slide on them without any issue.

What you guys think?

·
ParrotGod
11,485 Posts
I also like Damo's layout but I would not mind to see it stretched to 5 m long. Also, are there too many R4 for our stock requirement? I counted 15 of those and I am short of 5. But actually I would not mind to take this as an excuse to buy more of them ;-)

·
ParrotGod
11,485 Posts
For the webpage where the data from the different RCS64 instances will be displayed live, I would suggest to have banner from the sponsors of the event. It would be nice to have also a page listing each team info (location, names, and pic of the car used). It would be nice to have also a page with the live video feeds from the locations that might want to video the event (I know that Greg does it with Vimeo for the DRAWW races using his smartphone). I will talk with Trevor about this.

·
Greg Gaub
17,035 Posts
I've used Ustream and justin.tv successfully for streaming video, but justin.tv was recently shut down in favor of twitch, which is for gaming only.
There are surprisingly few similar services out there... or I'm coming up empty, other than Ustream.
Of course, there are direct video chat things like Skype and Hangouts, but I can't find much else that is a broadcast thing like Ustream (and what Justin tv used to be).

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
My high detail with lights Scaley Ford GT arrived today. Only £25 from Phil Smith and it is brand new - bargain.

What a GORGEOUS car! Flawless paintwork (that won't last long
) and amazing attention to detail.

A bit fiddly to take it apart but it is looking like it has potential to be fast and stable.

It is the dark blue one with twin silver stripes. It just so happens that our other team is going to run the same car
so we have to find some way to differentiate them. Maybe coloured roundels or change the colour of the stripes.

Time to start running-in the motor and rooting around in the cupboard for an unmodified chip.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Slotcar Ltd (me) would like to offer some prizes for the event. Even though we don't sell a lot to overseas customers yet, we have been getting more and more business lately from the US, UK and Aus so we'd love any extra exposure.

We would like to offer a Scalextric Ford GT (C3290) to the driver with the fastest qualifying lap and one to the driver of the fastest race lap also (Provided no one has offered prizes for those two results as yet).

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
That is great Damo, thank you very much!

Martin is talking with Distantkiwi about the live results-web page. It seems It may work, let's hope they succeed. Martin already made It, but I have to test any performance issues beause of the constant logging.

Can we try to agree about the lay-out this week ? 3 variations please.

Than I finalize the official document with rules next week.

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
I just had a root through my track box and I can only muster;

2 x 22.5 degree R3's
12 x 22.5 degree R4's
4 x 45 degree R1's
3 x XLC's

LOADS of R2's and straights of various lengths.

I could probably borrow some more R1's and we may have some R3's at the club but no guarantees.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Guys,

I stumbled upon this thread today, because I haven't been on the forum lately (newborn baby).
Actually I even haven't had much time to try RCS64 v4 yet.
Great idea to do something like this.
I am busy reading the thread these days, and I will decide in a couple of days if it is possible to host a race at my venue (Urk, Netherlands) as well. First need to check room space and track pieces/cars. Maybe I can manage to arrange two teams.

One thing that I didn't read yet (maybe I missed it) but what about Fuel weight simulation? Disable it?

And wouldn't it be necessary to do a test race first (with a simple layout like an oval) to see if there are thing we didn't think about?

Cheers,

Teunis

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Great Teunis !

Fuel load an tyre wear enabled.
Details will follow

Lay-out;

I want to decide on the minimum available track pieces, based on Mr Modifier's post.

Designers, please make 3 lay-outs based on;

1.5 x 5 m

2 x 22.5 degree R3's
8 x 22.5 degree R4's
4 x 45 degree R1's
3 x XLC's (I have no problem that locations add more XLC's, but let's keer 3 XLC as minimum

Assuming people have enough straights and variations of straights, and R2's.

Single lane pit lane RH

Virtual starting grid 24 positions

Marcel

·
Circuit Owner
5,964 Posts
I think the vast majority of pit lanes will be LH simply because that is what Scalextric supply in all their sets.

I know it is possible to convert a LH to a RH but it's hassle.

101 - 120 of 932 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.