SlotForum banner
141 - 160 of 932 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I'd have to agree with Gio and Minardi on this. Best to have a lay out all set in stone now so we can all make sure we have the pieces. MrF's track has some excellent elements and this is probably hard to get into 1.5 metres width so I'm all for it. Thanks for taking the time to design and redesign. I have no issue with people practicing, It means I won't feel guilty about getting my eye in either!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I think the ASSC team(s) will just have to start early to get practice in as were all very (very) limited for space so won't have a track until the day, but as its all for fun we don't really mind

couple of questions:

The Bentley, is the guide issue as bad as people say?
Is there a "Legal" fix to the problem?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put adjustable height front axle mounts from the Slot Car Corner with a Slot.it independent front axle in my Bentley and it did improve the the deslotting issue. If you look at the front end of the chassis it looks just like an adjustable Slot.it front end. Wether it is legal or not for your racing is another question.

·
Circuit Owner
5,966 Posts
From my interpretation of the rules it will probably be difficult to address the Bentley issue.

And as great as it would be to see the Bentley win - if you look at it whatever car wins it will be Chinese!

Wraith SURELY you of all people can find a car to race

I am going to have to buy me a Bentley to see whether we have to design a new SureChange guide to fix the blade depth issue. Not got enough time to fix it for this race.

Is it not possible to add a spacer to push the guide deck down - and find a longer screw to hold the guide in place?

If not then the most recent cars with recessed guides are probably out of contention.

·
ParrotGod
11,548 Posts
What a difference a couple of R3 can make! I can hear CapMagless bitching about the paper clip approach! ;-)

Wraith: you can put a coil from a spring (I used a spring from a plastic pen) in the guide to make it stick out a bit. A spacer would work as well.

·
Greg Gaub
17,073 Posts
Technically, it's an oval. A paperclip has a bridge with an inner loop... like a paper clip.

But yes, passing will be a challenge if teams have equal racers, as the outside lane is a little longer.
I have a Bentley, but haven't looked closely at it. I didn't realize guide depth was an issue. But, putting springs and spacers, let along changing the guide, would be outside of the "box stock" spec.

·
ParrotGod
11,548 Posts
I do not see any problem with adding a spacer in the guide for the bentley or the maserati trofeo given that the guide is recessed to start with. As long as the guide is a standard one and it does not stick out too much - basically the front tyres have to touch the track.

To me it is similar to add a spacer in the rear axle to avoid having the tyres wobbling around, or glueing the rear hubs. You know it is a matter to compensate for some of the issues that scaley cars come with. We have to remember that these are cars designed to run on magnets. And sometimes the same model of a car might have different issues depending on which instance you get.

Maybe we should set some rules for the pictures that we are going to take of our cars (e.g., front view with the guide in the slot on a straight track piece).

·
Greg Gaub
17,073 Posts
I agree. My point is that what people define as compensation for issues can be quite different. That's why specs are important. They must include anything that is allowed, and by their nature, exclude anything not listed.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I agree too, but I might need help for the car specs. I am not a club racer, (although I have participated in many events) and certainly not a tuner.

When we race at the home tracks of my fellow racers, we race each others car in turn and make sure the cars are close by following simple guide lines, like same motor, same gearing, same tyres, no magnet.
Adding weights we hardly do and for this event I would prefer to keep the cars as 'clean'as possible, I want It to be a KISS race. A spacer, ok, but that should be It.

That's why I changed 90-100 gram to 'adding weight not allowed'

CAR SPECIFICATIONS
Scalextric GT (Modern)

High detailed with OTB lights and OTB interior.

Adding weight not allowed (reducing weight neither)

No magnet.

Urethane tyres medium compound Route1Racing.

1 set of rear tyres allowed, in case of failure of tyres (highly unlikely), replace by original tyres.

Glueing in the motor, axles bushings allowed

Glueing the rear hubs allowed

Spacer in the rear axle to avoid having the tyres wobbling around allowed,

Putting ferrite man on leads allowed

Lubrication allowed

Uprated chips NOT allowed

Spacer for recessed guides allowed

Pictures of winning cars (race winner, fastest race lap, fastest qualify lap) interiors and proof of weight after the event.

If everybody can agree on the track in post #140, that would be very good

Shoot ...!

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sounds good.

Another way to keep it simple is to use cars straight out of the box.
Perhaps a mass purchase then they get special decals put on them commenorating the event, then get distributed, locked up until race day and distributed by picking out of a hat, so to speak. The entrant gets to keep the car.
Theres lots of advantages, namely no scrutineering, mods allowed etc.

You could then have another class for the guys who like to go for it, ie open class. Put whatever magnets, motors, tyres, chips or mods you want. No scrutineering required here either.

Just some ideas.

Rick

·
Circuit Owner
5,966 Posts
I cant see the image in post #140 - I could the other day on this same computer. Greg - have you deleted it or moved it by accident?

Not sure about the no weight thing - agree on an overall minimum and maximum. But some cars are pigs to drive without 5g up front to keep the nose down - remember these were designed (lazily) to run with magnets. The McLaren (which I am not running) can simply refuse to go around bends once you remove the magnet. This can be resolved with weight in the nose - about 10g in the case of the McLaren.

If the rules remain no added weight I can live with that but I think a few people might be cursing the decision once they start driving fast.

·
Circuit Owner
5,966 Posts
OK pictures are back and I like Greg's track. Gets my vote

I have tyre requirements from Grunz and Damo only at the moment. So that means New Zealand and Wales are sorted for tyres.

Mr Flippant, Wraith and Minardi - please let me know what you want so I can make sure I make the right volumes of each tyre type.

Anybody else thinking of entering - please let me know your tyre requirements so I can get them ready to send at the point you decide you are definitely "in".

And don't forget to vote on adding/not adding weight

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Wraith and myself will be testing a range of cars on the 7th of Feb and will then decide what car we will be racing. As much as we would like to get this done before then, we simply won't have a track to test on until then. I am hoping it will not be too late by then in terms of making the tyres?

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I thought the basic idea was to have cars out of the box except removing magnets and using a standard performance tyre.

Weight is a voodoo magic that those of use that race with magenta will not know.

I vote no to weight

·
Greg Gaub
17,073 Posts
I'm in favor of allowing weight within the 90-100g spec limitations. For those with little experience, a small bit of lead near the guide almost never hurts.

But, whatever the final vote is, I'm happy, because everyone will be abiding by the same rules.

Richard, we'll take two sets of whatever fits on an Audi R8. I'll PM you my address.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Richard, is the 7th Feb too late, it's the only chance we will get to look at the different cars and see which one we want to race.

Oh and yes I do have plenty of cars, that's part of the issue but I would rather drive a car I like than the fastest car if it's just another one of this cars. I.e. Something that doesn't shout wow I look good.

I love the looks of the Bentley and both lotus so will be testing them first.

141 - 160 of 932 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.