SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And led onto the finish of one other project in the works, the finishing of a project of my sons and ALL were related to the building of this...

I have planned to do it for over a year, I really think I am going to get alot of use from it and at the end it only took me 20 mins to make!

Made from 5mm acrylic sheet and one pack of self adhesive feet, it is simplicity itself to make and is for ease of setting up chassis, guides, wheel height/ride height etc.

I suspect a whole host of other uses but these were what made me want to make one.

Anyway once made and in use for the Arii Subaru 360 (see THIS thread) I decided to finish one other and get Toby to come down and finish his similar one.

I am a 1/32 fan and although I own a couple of 1/24 cars they are almost solely in my collection so I can race with 'thomas' when he comes over. Although he owns and runs one of the biggest 1/32 scale slotsites in Germany, his big race passion is 1/24 scale.

'Joergs' is also a little into 1/24 scale when 'thomas' is around and has actually kit built a Porsche 956 on a Plafit chassis and the TSRF Resin Peugeot on the TSRF 1/24 Club chassis.

'thomas' made a TSRF car to match 'joergs' Peugeot last week, from a Carrera Audi R8 and it took him less than an hour so I decided to use my 1/24 Club Chassis and do the same now I have a chassis bench. I used a BMW V12 LMR instead of the Audi and this is the result (of course, me being me some details on the Carrera body HAD to change
)..

Body panel catches got silvered, shut lines went in and the wheel inserts are a direct fit from the Carrera wheels..

TSRF one is on the left, note the front grill which Carrera left off..

TSRF one is now on the right and has new exhausts...

The chassis almost falls onto the body and fitting the pin guide mounting kit with the TSRF mounting tool is a doddle. No need to play around with weight as these run very well without magnets or weight (NOTE: the Audi body is not as simple due to height restrictions and the Venturi fins)...

Last step was to remove the plain and not very pleasing Carrrera lights and add an Overdrive set..

and that was that...

In the meantime Toby came down to the track and we decided to finish his very first kit build slotcar (prepainted and assembly only, custom made VMG kit aside).
It is in 1/24 scale, a Testors kit and was his own choice..

So he can race with us it is also on a TSRF Club Chassis. He built it, I trimmed the chassis to siut the TSRF and finally fitted the TSRF chassis. He painted it with help on airgun technics and a final tidy up from me but he got NO runs!

Inserts were dremeled down to fit and the front wheels/tyres are NSR zero grip rubber on rims for Fly Truck/TSRF 1/24 chassis. The reason for the NSR wheels was that the existing ones would not fit under the body.

He didn't want a driver, nor did he want a race livery but he DOES want lights.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Yet another good read!
If I don't soon stop reading, I won't get anything built! Do you guys have more than 24 hours in a day over there, or something?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Hi Swissracer
my compliments to you and to Toby for the great cars!
I have assembled this 1/24 TSRF chassis with this Tom Andersen's Matra body:

You're not using sponge tires on Carrera, are you ?
Perhaps one day we could all race 1/24 in Egg toghether

Best regards
Edo

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Matra!

Bring it with you! I am sure there will be time for a big toy play.

Yes we run sponge on Carrera, Great tyres once warmed up. Jörg uses a different type with more grip but his car is heavier being resin, so it balances out.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Top of the morning Swissracer
since I am coming by bike and even though it's bigger than Thomas's
I won't be able to fit the Matra with the 2 or 3 cars, the PM controller and a few spares I am bringing (and the evening black suit for Sunday evening when I will get that special price for arriving last in every single race)

It's a pity because I have this Beardog McLaren (a beautiful jewel of a car !!!) that I wanted to show to you guys.
Your only hope is that it snows and I have to come with a bloody cage.
Cheers
Edo

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Lovely stuff, Swiss.
It's very tempting to get into 1/24 when you see what can be done!
Very neat set-up block, too. I might well pinch that idea.

'Hats' off to you and Toby (to quote from another thread)

·
Registered
773 Posts
...the virus ist there
Well done Toby! Nice Testarossa!
Just spent 15 Minutes at the track yesterday evening and converted one of the ugly, bad running 1/24 Porsche GT1 fro Carrera to a TSRF-chassis - same performance as the Audi and the BMW now! So at least we have some cars to race and to get people into 1/24-racing.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Nice jobs, Swiss, Thomas and Edo. I personally really like the Carrera BMW V12 as a body over the TSRF 1/24 scale chassis. The 1/32 scale version also works great over the TSRF smaller brother. They are very strong and take a lot of punishment.
There are many other available bodies for the TSRF 1/24 scale chassis, and we are getting close to an agreement with Tamiya to supply pre-decorated bodies for such, so as to sell ready-to-race 1/24 scale hard-shell cars. Stay tuned, good things take time.
On regular Carrera track, I recommend the use of two traction magnets if magnets are to be used. If not, the stock tires need to be kept very clean. We are in the process of offering different tires that will offer much greater traction on this surface. On wood, the TSRF "Club" tires are great if any kind of traction compound has been used on the track. If not, their micro cells will fill too quickly with dust particles and it is better to use silicone tires if track cleanliness is not possible due to dusty circumstances.

We will have a story on how to mount the Carrera Audi R8, Porsche GT1 and Panoz coupe bodies on the TSRF chassis on the web site very soon.
Keep up the good work and have fun racing!

Doc Pea

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Doc Pea,
if you're adding the Tamyia-962-bodies pre-decorated to your assortement, take my order - -2 of each!

For the foam tires - -we just put a little oil on them so the cells expand and tehn clean the tires with a tissue - works very well and is a cheap solution (WD40 is good for this)
There are no traction mags allowed for 1/24 - not as long as I'm at the track! But a different kind of tires - PUR like Wiesel / Orthmann are offering it - would be highly gecommended for the TSRF-chassis. No silicone tires as these tires clean the track perfectly and remove the grip for any other kind of tires!!!
The Pescarolo has some Wiesel and is able to outperform the lighter Carrera-bodies with the foam-tires. As the 1/24-TSRF is a class in developement and should allow people a quick and fair priced start in 1/24-racing we just discussed minimum weights and necessities of detail a car has to show.
We'll keep you updated - and if you're interested, you might get some pictures of our 1/24-TSRF-cars... And I've to order some more chassis again as all of them are in use now and there are no spare ones for the next projects.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Hi Thomas,
Please send me a pair of those tires, we will test them. The Tamiya bodies are not of the 962 that is out of production at this time.
Kind regards,

Doc pea

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Thanks Thomas, I know I can count on your kindness!

TSRF= Truly Superior Racing Fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts