SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding digital equipment to my analog layout (a C7030 PB and a couple of independantly powere XLCs). The original analog setup will remain in place (pseudo analog as supplied by PB Pro/C7042 does not meet my requirement) but Scalex states that digital circuitry must not be exposed to analog DC voltage, so my plan is to wire a SPDT relay into the 7030 box . The relay switch is connected to the P1 input and the track wires to the double throw contacts, so when the C7030 is supplied with power the contacts close and the track is connected, otherwise it is isolated from the electronics. The power supply is swithched between the two setups (i.e when digital is in use, the analog connection is not powered and vice versa). Anybody tried this? If so what relay did you use? If no, anbody see any pitfalls? Any problem with the digital track sensors living in a 12VDC environment?

cheers
Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 4 Jan 2012, 11:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You need to sever the power leads from the PB-Pro to the track...

That's the intent; perhaps a diagram would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/10485793360916...851031714465042

This is looking down on the board in the C7030. 12V input at P1 drives the relay "coil" when power is connected, the lines to the track are cut and the side coming from the board attached to relay poles A1,A2 , the wires going to the track to B1, B2.

cheers
Scott

PS Just a plain jane C7030 V1.2 , no PB PRO add on.

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
I couldn't see the diagram for some reason. But it sounds like you understand.
Wait for confirmation from RichG or RikoRocket or someone who knows the inner workings better than I do, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Greg - should be able to see it now. Sorry, I forgot to turn on universal viewing (this forum really appears to limit how a person can insert an image for display - rather inconvenient)

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I did the same exercise so that I could use my club controllers (2amp 3pin plug) in analog. I used 2 x 4 pole switches (changeover sw would be better) diverting the supply to the rails from the PB through one switch for the digital. For the analog I ran a supply from the PSU terminals through the controller stations to the other 4 pole switch to the track rails.
I have over simplified that a little but as long as you isolate the Digital PB from the rails when the analog supply is connected you will be ok.
As you have already said digital lane changers must have their own supply.
In analog I leave my digital PB running and use the sensors for lap timing.
Hope that helps
brembo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (brembo @ 4 Jan 2012, 14:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...In analog I leave my digital PB running and use the sensors for lap timing.

Thanks brembo - excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that. I had considered just using a double pole switch but thought having the relay would dumb it down to an automatic function for the (inevitable) times that I forget to throw it befor powering up the analog side. Your way makes sense. Back to the wiring drawing board

cheers
Scott

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Someone else has already done this and shown us pictures.... but I cannot remember who (see my "In search of..." link in my signature).

FYI, Dave Chang has written up the procedure for "Analogue/Digital Switching" on pages 72-73 of his new book Digital Slot Car Racing in 1/32 Scale. (I hope I am allowed to mention this... I have no connections to Dave or his book... but I am thoroughly enjoying reading it.)

If anyone DOES find the pics on this forum of the digital/analogue switching system I am referring to.... please give us the link.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts