SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Edmonton International Airport was all a-buzz yesterday as a jumbo-jet landed carrying 7 of the nine entrants for the ISP-43 proxy race. Cars were carefully loaded onto transport trucks for delivery to the race track. Some members of the teams were heard to say the flight was smooth and there were no delays, but they were tiered from the long flight.

Well guys, they are here. Peter did a tremendous job packaging the cars so there would be no damages and there were no marks or dings in the box from the postal service. I was excited to open the box and look at all the treasures inside. The pictures don't do them justice. Everyone is a winner here!
I have unwrapped all the cars and inspected them. It seems that Leo's car had a loose chassis where it connected to the motor so a drop of Epoxy was placed to hold it .
My 917 was in a bad way. The motor commutator was melted and wires were thrown off the posts. No saving her, the mechanics said. I desoldered it and epoxied in a Carrera replacement motor Kihm had sent me, ( Slotcar Express )

The track maintenance workers had to dust off the track and run the vacuum cleaner around the slots. So far I have only run my cars to re-rubber in the corners. The teams are going to do some practice laps latter to-night as it cools off.
I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm going to run all the cars at 10 volts but I have several parma controllers with different ohms and I'll figure out which one works best for each car 60 and 45 ohms work pretty good for all my cars so I suspect they will be used the most.
Also I don't have as good a lap counting system as Peter does so I plan to run 3-25 lap heats and throw out the worst heat to get a timed total for two heats, lowest time will get the win and the points. Then the points gained from Peter's track and my track will be calculated for the series championship.
Peter and I have decided to use the current F1 point system to determine the overall winner.

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

Also I need to set up the tripod for my camera and I plan to shoot some video of the cars running around, but not to-night, so don't change that channel, stay tuned.

Datto and Mas's cars are eagerly awaited.
Would all of you guys please pm me or E-mail ( [email protected] ) so if there is any trouble I can get hold of you and check to see if I have the correct address to send the cars and prizes back to you. Thanks.

Cheers Ted

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,591 Posts
Hello Ted,
Great news...
Many thanks for re-gluing my "chassis" back together.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (Tsooko @ 25 Jul 2012, 06:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>........I'm going to run all the cars at 10 volts......

Cheers Ted

Having another look at Pfuetze´s result list I see each car having been driven at different volts.
This seems to mean that each car originally was designed for another voltage.

Isn´t it a bit unrealistic then to run all the cars on the same voltage now ? If my car was designed for 12 volts and now has to run with 10 volts only it has less top speed and acceleration than a car that was designed for 9 volts and runs at 10V now.

Roland

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i think it has been stated somewhere that the standard voltage is 12V, but the host may vary the voltage to his needs, if this necessary. In the same quote it has been written that team owners may ask for a dedicated voltage. I asked myself for 11V (if i remember the number right).
It would not have been possible to run Ted´s cars @ 12V, they would have been way to fast.

from my point of view, the voltages i´ve written in my report would be a good starting point, but may have to be lowered a little. Ted´s decision.

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a chance to test the cars last nite. Wow! Are there some fast cars! The 10 volts is working good and I only used my parma 45 ohm controller.
It takes a few laps to get to know the characteristics of each car, and they are different, but after I could get some awesome speed out of them. This is going to be a close contest.
I did not time any of the laps as I thought it would not be fair to do this now. I'll wait till the race day, so it will be a surprise for all of us, me included. Right now I feel that any of the cars can win.
I am impressed with the builds. Some real standouts here. Very exciting and fun.
The cars are put aside now, waiting the big day. I have set the 18th of Aug for the race day but if Datto and Mas get their cars here sooner I'll run the race sooner too.

Roland: The voltage issue is a good point. My track is very tiny compared to Peter's and there is no point to running at a higher voltage as the cars cannot get up to full speed as it is. My longest straight is less then 3' Actually it is the only straight!
Driveability and handling is key here to keep the cars in the slot ad getting fast lap times. Higher voltage would only create wheel spin off the corners and spinning wheels don't translate to fast laps, just spun out cars.
I am shooting for crash-less heats as I cannot throw out slow laps. Marshaling takes time. My lap counter can't give me a time for every lap. Just a total time for "x" number of laps. I will adjust the response of the car by using different ohms on the controller. Right now I think one car can use a 35 ohm controller to give a faster response coming off the corners.
There is more say and I will give my impressions at the end of this contest so others can build cars that will be competitive.

Ted

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (Tsooko @ 25 Jul 2012, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Roland: The voltage issue is a good point. My track is very tiny compared to Peter's and there is no point to running at a higher voltage as the cars cannot get up to full speed as it is. My longest straight is less then 3' Actually it is the only straight!
Driveability and handling is key here to keep the cars in the slot ad getting fast lap times. Higher voltage would only create wheel spin off the corners and spinning wheels don't translate to fast laps, just spun out cars.
I am shooting for crash-less heats as I cannot throw out slow laps. Marshaling takes time. My lap counter can't give me a time for every lap. Just a total time for "x" number of laps. I will adjust the response of the car by using different ohms on the controller. Right now I think one car can use a 35 ohm controller to give a faster response coming off the corners.
There is more say and I will give my impressions at the end of this contest so others can build cars that will be competitive.

Ted

Ted, I agree with you completely as to your track and the driveability - and of course the prevention of useless damages caused by too high voltages.

I myself am strictly against the tendency to make cars faster by increasing the voltage. I prefer testing motors, gear ratios and all the other characteristics and I work on motors as well. Coming from the 32nd scale scene 12 V was the standard for me but I have learned very quickly that 12 V are by no means necessary.
My question was more related to the other direction - cars designed for a higher voltage than 10V, now being placed at a competitive disadvantage by having to run at less than their "standard" voltage.

But this is simply a side issue.
If I want to learn I should be ready to try...

Good Luck with your part of the proxy !

Roland

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the testing I have done so far, there is no car that ran on Peter's track at a higher voltage than what I am using, is at a disadvantage on my track. To my "eye" there are some very fast cars here.
I was surprised that my car won at Peter's because all the testing was done on my small track at 10 volts, and I didn't think that would translate well on the longer track.
Peter ran that car at 7 volts on his track. A three volt drop. Yikes!! And I didn't think it would be fast enough at 10 volts. Go figure! So no disadvantage there!

It would be interesting if available motors commonly used in 1/43 have a list of optimum torques, rpms at various voltages to make choosing one for our " race" cars
easier, at least for those who are very serious. I have found over the years that given 100 motors there will be some dogs and some exceptional and some normal motors. The same was true when I raced 1:1 cars. Motors built the same way, with the same parts, ran differently.
Some slot races even had hand-out motors to equalize the cars somewhat, with the ability to buy another motor if you got one of those dogs.

All the racing I am or was involved with over here, the track voltage has been constant and the participants built their cars to take advantage of that. One less thing to be concerned about. I was surpised, that Peter adjusted the voltage but then I am unfamilliar with how proxy races are run, yet it seems to have turned out ok for the most part, especially for me!
As this series evolves, we can address this issue if necessary.
Since it is impossible to test cars in proxy races at other peoples tracks we take our best guess and can only base our setup choices on what feedback others are willing to share or previous races we have entered at the same track. That can be a long process if there is only one race per year.

Here is an interesting observation. All the fast cars at Peter's track have Lexan or pet-g bodies. The same is true here also, so far. Hummm...?

Ted

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (Tsooko @ 26 Jul 2012, 19:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is an interesting observation. All the fast cars at Peter's track have Lexan or pet-g bodies. The same is true here also, so far. Hummm...?

Ted

All the fast cars in 24th scale and 32nd scale have lexan bodies as well....

Roland

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
QUOTE (Tsooko @ 26 Jul 2012, 19:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is an interesting observation. All the fast cars at Peter's track have Lexan or pet-g bodies. The same is true here also, so far. Hummm...?

Ted

That is interesting in one sense, but I think probably not for the reason most people would imagine (light weight), because I have found that the 1/43 cars actually benefit in the handling Dept, by being somewhat heavy! Of course Peter's track is somewhat large and light weight could be an advantage there, but I am guessing that overall, it probably has more to do with lowering the Center of gravity!

Datto and my car have not arrive @ Blasto racing yet, anytime now I expect!

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (masmojo @ 26 Jul 2012, 22:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is interesting in one sense, but I think probably not for the reason most people would imagine (light weight), because I have found that the 1/43 cars actually benefit in the handling Dept, by being somewhat heavy! Of course Peter's track is somewhat large and light weight could be an advantage there, but I am guessing that overall, it probably has more to do with lowering the Center of gravity!

But all this is only relevant as long as you don´t use traction mags ( slotracer´s support wheels
).

Roland

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Datto, Mas, just took a look at the tracking - the package has reached US, but don´t any other information, this happened July 17.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
WOW that was some time ago, hope they had some fun with them, but they should get them to us now!

I may check with the post office tomorrow!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Naaa! One burnt motor and one stripped gear. Unless they like pushing them around and making Vroom, Vroom sounds.

Boy it is hard not to play with your cars.

The lower center of gravity probably has a lot to do with the handling. I'll weight all the cars and report it on race day. Some cars are very tail happy and probably could use a little weight to plant the back end but still very fast. It was nice to see them drift around the corners.
I am giving out all the info I can so anyone who isn't entered this time will have a heads up for the next. That can only make the racing more exciting. I'd rather lose by a foot, then win buy a mile. Of course I should have the new track by then so it will be a fresh approach for most of us.
I am hoping a couple more track owners will step up ad join the fun also. A four or five track series would be great!
We'll see what the future brings.

Ted

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If the cars are too tail happy, i normally lowered the voltage by 0.5V, if the car felt not to be under controll.

For the difference between vac-formed and hard bodies: Normally the vac-formed bodies help to lower the CoG. This helps always to prevent excessive barrel roll tendencies.
I like lighter cars. If the weight is low, acceleration is better and braking is more effective. Also helps the motor - if the weight is low, a "weaker" motor also creates the same acceleration as a bigger motor with more weight. On a smooth track this concept will work. It the track is rougher and not as smooth, the weight will for sure help to keep the car in the slot. So - different tracks - different needs for the car. Motor, gearing, weight - all factors have to be considered.
Or you just have some fun ;b

For the tuning of cars with varying the voltage: It´s cheap and easy, if you got a variable power supply. I don´t have to have to change motors as soon as got a new car if i know that the used motor is to slow. SCX motors are a little slot at 12V on my track. I could change motors in +16 cars or so or simply set the voltage to 14V. It´s also easier to tune the cars to the needs of kids or guests at the track. Just lower the voltage, nothing more to be done.
I could be hotter motors for Kyosho Dslots or simply run the stock motor at 14.5V. For me it makes sense to do this. I´m also tired of the hunt for the perfect 1/43rd motor. If that one exists

hope that the cars arrive soon, Mas.

which car does have a stripped gear, Ted?

Another point for being fast on my track - my Ranch-Design resin GT40 and the Kyosho 962 with scratchbuilt chassis are turning in laps as fast as the vac-formed bodied 917 and GT40. As long as the weight is low -

cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (pfuetze @ 28 Jul 2012, 10:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>......I like lighter cars. If the weight is low, acceleration is better and braking is more effective. Also helps the motor - if the weight is low, a "weaker" motor also creates the same acceleration as a bigger motor with more weight. On a smooth track this concept will work. It the track is rougher and not as smooth, the weight will for sure help to keep the car in the slot.
So - different tracks - different needs for the car. Motor, gearing, weight - all factors have to be considered.

Nevertheless it is a bit senseless to have the weight in the body instead on the chassis. A higher cog doesn´t affect the handling of a car positively - unless the car is slow enough...

....It´s also easier to tune the cars to the needs of kids or guests at the track. Just lower the voltage, nothing more to be done.

Nothing to have in mind to reduce the voltage. But vice versa.....

I´m also tired of the hunt for the perfect 1/43rd motor. If that one exists

As soon as anybody thinks to have found perfection, somone else finds the next level. That´s called development.
All that of course is a matter of personal attitude. To me the hunt for a better ( not the perfect ) motor is part of the approach I have to what I understand by "scratchbuilding". It´s one of the challenges that make the hobby attractive to me.
To me it is boring to use the same motor in all my cars. Not to forget that without this "hunt" I wouldn´t be able to build most open cars. But why only building closed ones ? Why subordinate to a certain type ( possibly too big, see KYOSHO ) of motor instead of searching for better alternatives ?
Tastes differ...

Greetings,

Roland

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (pfuetze @ 28 Jul 2012, 02:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>which car does have a stripped gear, Ted?

cheers,
Peter

Datto's car stripped a gear, No?
I was making a joke about Mass' comment of the customs' people playing with the cars. All the cars here are fine.

I am sure the cars will be at your place soon Mas. There is lots of time.

I am enjoying the comments you guys are making and the sharing of ideas and info. For sure this series will push the development of 1/43 scale slot cars to a new level beyond just toys. Some very foward thinking here.

The printed chassis is a sign of the future (here now it seems). 3D Printers are being offered for the home user at affordable prices, although the quality is not up to the commercial offerings. Very Star Treky. I picture a time when there will be no garbage we throw away. It will all be recycled as raw materials for our home replicaters.

Ted

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
QUOTE (Tsooko @ 28 Jul 2012, 15:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All the cars here are fine.t

okay, i was worried that i might have overseen a thing that has to be repaired!
2 burnt motors and one stripped gear in a field of 9 cars? Also my car broke the crown free right after the race. Maybe this big track is bringing these little cars to their limits or am i just a rude driver?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts