SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since this is a hobbyist website… I would like to gently make the case that it is ok to be a hobbyist… even a slot car hobbyist!

And, what I feel brings us together is a shared interest in the hobby across some/all aspects.

As hobbyists we all bring our work/professional skills, too, in various forms whether it be aerospace engineering, science teaching, carpentry, nursing or whatever… and for me it isvthis which enrichens the sharing of our hobby interests.

Meanwhile I believe the vendors and their associates should have a voice here too - but their voice should be identified as having a commercial interest. Of course they should follow the rules like the rest of us and most do with extreme professionalism as we would expect from major brands. That’s good corporate governance in action.

My only point of proposed action here is that vendors, distributors, agents and their business associates are clearly identified on sf as wishing to play this role. That will help all of us to understand, better, the flow of debate where corporate interests intermingle with hobbyist opinion.

It will help keep debate clearcut IMHO.

c

Reactions: Zippy D

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Yes, we are all hobbyists and that is why we use the site. To my knowledge and in the posts that I read, two representatives of large commercial concerns participate in this site - in their hobbyist capacity, and with no commercial axe to grind - and the site is richer for it. It would spoil their private enjoyment of the hobby and the Forum if they were only allowed to participate under a commercial banner. Private and corporate interests seem perfectly separated to me and I don't see that there is any need for change.

Is there a nascent problem in the digital/electronic threads, which I have not read?

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That’s true - there are some amazing and dedicated hobbyists who happen to work for slot car companies too - so agree we shouldnt hinder their contribution to the hobby. And, I am sure the members you have in mind assert the greatest of care in balancing their pure hobbyist interests and their responsibilities to their employers… so all good.

But what about the rule breakers who simply want to get ahead with their commercial objectives more than anything else… whats the plan? or do they simply come with the territory?

c

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t particularly want to see thinly disguised adverts..but could be a valid place for responses to members issues, questions..most certainly affiliation with a commercial interest shouldn’t be disqualification from participation as pure hobby person..I know of another site where “reviews” are done by members who get paid by the maker..which is hardly a review..so am no for that

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
But what about the rule breakers who simply want to get ahead with their commercial objectives more than anything else… whats the plan? or do they simply come with the territory?
I haven't seen this behaviour though. I'm sure that if a major manufacturer were to be blatantly commercial on this Forum, they would be put in their place by the other Forum members. Is this a problem that currently exists or not?

I exclude the small hobby manufacturers from this, and welcome their product announcements. It's the backbone of the hobbyist element of the er - hobby.

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, Gripping Pneus - it think you are spot on with the thinking. On the digital side of slot cars the four major manufacturers all play nicely in my opinion - back to that corporate governance role. On the whole, those forum members who also run small scale hobby businesses also show restraint when balancing hobby interests with opportunities for financial gain. That said, it appears to be becoming an increasingly blurred line. I don't mean to point any fingers and indeed one day I may face this same challenge in finding the correct balanced approach. So this post/thread is intended more to help all of us (including me) figure out where lines should be drawn - if indeed any lines are necessary at all.

c

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
indeed one day I may face this same challenge in finding the correct balanced approach. So this post/thread is intended more to help all of us (including me) figure out where lines should be drawn
I wouldn't worry. When you make enough money from the hobby to own the cars we all make models of, you will know you have gone beyond hobbyism!

·
novice jazz player &
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what you say… a hobbyist whose hobby is electronics… would then be practicing the art of ‘electronification by hobbyism’ …? surely that can’t be right?

c

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discretion.

Bluntly, it's called shooting ducks in a barrel.

This barrel dedicated to slotcar owners and enthusiasts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm a slot car & track hobbyist. I enjoy post from folks who work in the industry. Certainly, these members are humans first and workers second. That said I'd enjoy some official posts from representative of the bigger companies asking our opinions. It's also great for any of us to represent our biases when we post. An example comes in my favorite brand being Scalextric. I try to reveal this whenever there is a new person asking what track to buy etc. I also try to find balance and offer alternatives to the brand where I've spent the most of my slot car dollars.

When someone provides an opinion, and they work for a company that produces or will produce a product I like hearing why they think their idea/product is great and how they are positioning it in the market (including on slotforum.com). I also like to know when someone is providing a recommendation and can say they don't work for or represent their employer. This type of reveal keeps me from speculation a company is providing commentary via the forum member. Either way I do enjoy forum participation to share ideas, and the potential for the hobby. I just like to know who is talking and what gives them the gravity of being expert in the subject matter. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
......... I just like to know who is talking and what gives them the gravity of being expert in the subject matter. :)
I have no affiliation to any slot car manufacturer or supplier, other than "standardising" my cars/products I buy from a particular manufacturer/supplier so there is a degree of part interchangeability to help keep my hobby costs down.

The last sentence of your contribution Mileage, captures what I was thinking and is the key to this thread by Dr_C, in my opinion, which all comes down to.........transparency.

I, as someone fairly new to the slot car hobby, am interested in who is making the recommendations to us (me) via this or any forum or outlet as to what to buy, or indirectly what not to buy, and if in making those recommendations do they stand to gain in any way either directly (they work for said company) or indirectly (they are sponsored or receive parts/cars/accessories free of charge from said company) for their publicly stated recommendations.

The former I consider to be the direct Manufacturers/Suppliers and the latter I consider these to be "Influencers".

Every one has their favourites be it brand/manufacturer/accessory etc, but if there is the potetial for bias, then it is only fair to those of us not "in the know" to be informed as to who is who or affiliated/working for who or receiving inducements from who, so reason for said bias or recommendation can be taken into account, before making our purchasing decison and parting with our cash £$£$.

Independant Financial Advisors used to, as an example, make recommendations to unsuspecting "punters" for specific financial products all the while receiving commision or financial benefit from the self same company for each of their products pushed and sold.
Little did the "punters" know they were not always receiving Independant advice, the best advice, or more importantly, the best product.
Then new rules came into force and things became more transparent.

Anyone pooh-pooing transparency should maybe reconsider their view, clarify their position (as I did at the beginning of this comment) or at least make it more transparent, otherwise there are limited conclusions to draw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts