Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas...
I'm brand new to this....absolutely adore slot car racing (actually it's not so much the racing as the modeling....) I had quite a bit of the old analogue track and a few cars as well...until recently it was all tucked away and nearly forgotten.....I wonder how many of us have been in that position??? anyway my son bought me a digital conversion set for Christmas as I kept talking about turning my spare room into a scalextric track and he thought this might spur me on....and he was right... HOWEVER...I am totally a novice...complete amateur....so just a few questions (and please forgive my ignorance....
1 Can I run cars in both directions on a digital track....I mean...can I run the cars over a single track bridge, do a loop in the track and bring them back in the other direction on the same single track???
2 If I want to buy a car that is completely ready to run on a digital track what do I ask for??? digital ready?? it's a bit confusing....Honestly... lol.
3 Is it really as easy as they say to convert my old analogue cars to digital???
4 are the transformers that come with the digital layout ok or would I be better to buy something more upmarket....and if so, what???
That's it for now...thanks all for your help....perhaps all you guys out there who really know the ins and outs of this hobby should write an easy to follow book.....or is there one for the TOTAL novice???
Cheers All. Happy New Year. Thanks so much for any help or advice.

Pilgrim.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi Pilgrim, and welcome to the forum, sounds like you're in a great position with a room ready to go.
Lets go through the answers;

1 not quite there would need to be a break in the track or else you'll end up with a short but it is possible to make that section and it has been done.

2 To buy a car you need to buy a Digital Car that is chipped, a digital ready or DPR means it can be chipped or will accept a digital plug More info

3 Yes, very easy, Presumably you are talking about Scalextric Sport Digital (SSD) there is a massive thread all about it SSD Chipping thread

4 Yes they are "OK" but for a very little investment you can do better. As for which one best someone more current than me answers that one...

Some introductory reading

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Pilgrim @ 9 Jan 2012, 19:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>....perhaps all you guys out there who really know the ins and outs of this hobby should write an easy to follow book.....or is there one for the TOTAL novice???

Perfect timing - Astro has just released a book on digital that will be right up your street... Astro used to be one of the slotforum moderators

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
nice plug there Riko,i had missed the release on that one,might have to invest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts