SlotForum banner

It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks

16K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  Gareth 
#1 ·
And lots of other cool lines; if you're of a certain age, most of them are probably buried deep in your subconscious. But what's this got to do with slot cars?

I'm glad you asked... when I was developing the 1977 Dodge police car, one or two people mentioned that a Bluesmobile would be a cool thing to make. I'm sure we all know what it's like to have more good ideas than time to do them, so I parked that idea in the back of my head until, well, until its time came.

There's no 1:32 model of a Bluesmobile so far, or a '74 Dodge Monaco in 1:32 either. The '77 Dodge is close in terms of proportion but the front and back are quite different, and the waistline is different too. The Cadillac is being done straight from 3D CAD data and recently I managed to get hold of CAD data for the Bluesmobile. Just as with the Caddy, it needed some work to get from the surface model to something that can be made on a 3D printer. For a computer game, it doesn't really matter if there are tiny gaps in the mesh, but for a solid model it's got to be completely solid. I tried a few methods of "automatic repair" but it didn't work so off it went to be stitched together so it was suitable for printing.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves, let's get some pictures up

The surface model

Rear view of the surface model

Rendered surface model

The bodyshell is literally a shell now it's been stitched together, 3mm thick so it's solid enough to support itself and have a silicon mould taken from it

Rear and underside

And for comparison, the same view but as a wireframe mesh

Some 3D models are quite simple in terms of their mesh, once it's in a computer game you want it as simple as possible so it can move around without crunching up all the game memory. But for making a model, the tighter the mesh the better level of detail and smoother the curves will be. As you can see, this is pretty complicated!

The wheel centres should be the same as the early ones I had on the '77 Dodge so they already exist, I'm now waiting for the 3D print to come back so I can check its quality. Then it's the long road to preparing it and getting it moulded. It's 106 miles to Chicago....

See less See more
#4 ·
Look what was waiting for me this morning! The push bars didn't make it past the cleaning process, but that's ok because they'd probably need to be separate on the casting anyway, maybe even metal.

The radiator grille didn't make it either so that'll need to be remade. There wasn't enough support behind it so the cleaning process blew the slats out.

Despite all that, I think it looks very promising

#5 ·
Excellent news Choc-Ice,

The real thing - I know I did a Blues Brothers paint job on the 77 Dodge but the real deal will be better. Any chance of doing the roof mounted speaker unit as a seperate moulding then folks can build a with and without speaker version?
Looking forward to seeing this develop and the Cadillac.
Cheers
Phil

#9 ·
My head is already busy designing a 'shopping mall' themed rally cross track. It's either got to be rally cross or the cars need to be digital for full 'pursuit' on a single lane.

#11 ·
Good to see there's so many remembered lines from this movie, and I'll bet most of you haven't seen it for years but can still remember them!

I'm not sure what to do about graphics, should I make them already weathered or do them clean and let people scruff them up?

#12 ·
I'd do them clean and let the purchaser have the joy of mussin' them up.

Let's see. When did I last see Blues Brothers. Hmmm.... It's February isn't it? That would make it nearly 2 months. Around here it gets ritually viewed twice a year, as does Rocky Horror Picture Show (are you scared yet?).

#13 ·
Wow, another film I've never seen all the way through, or whilst sober...

I did a trial fit of the bodyshell onto my chassis and it looks good but a bit tight under the low bonnet (hood?) line

I need to get the radiator grille made up today, and some front windows too so a mould can be made properly. As well as this, I've got another project on the go whilst the Caddy is being cast *gulp*

#21 ·
That is it I'm going to have to have a sale. These are my type of rides, I must have them.

A one off I could avoid but now you are making more.

Would you know if your chassis fits into a scaley general lee?

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
The plan is to launch this, the Cadillac and one other at the Slot Car Festival, but it's a tough job with the master model, the resin casts, the interiors and graphics all to get ready!

They'll be demonstrated exclusively on the Circuits To Scale track where you can see for yourself that fastest isn't always the most fun

White paint on, masking next and then black paint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.