Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
It arrived today!!! The Carerra 2002 Michael Schumacher F1 ferrari is HERE, having safely completed its journey across the big pond.

Despite the fact that I am currently working on a routed track, I may have to set up an oval in the LR floor JUST to see how it runs.

Sorry for the pointless thread, but just HAD to share.

/gb

*edit 7:45 pm CT*

So, I just set up a small indy-esque oval in the living room...

Wow.

The car performs nealry as well magnet-less as the scaley Dallara Indy cars do WITH magnets. Can't wait to run this thing on a real track somewhere.

I must admit to not having done a thorough search n the archives to see if anyone's reviewed this car. if not, and if anyone would like a review, let me know...I'll snap pics and write up a blurb about it.

/gb

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
That would be great!
No one has a review up here, the closest is my article on converting a Scalextric McLaren F1 to a 2002 Ferrari i nthe resource section.

I know from driving that car that it is very competitive with the Scalextric F1s as long as you keep both magnets in it.

Good luck with the car it is a sweet drive box standard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get to work on one then.

For now, a few brief thoughts on the car:

First of all, I agree, it's a terrific car out of the box.

It DEFINITELY takes some practice to run quickly, but once I found the patterns, it absolutely destroyed anything else I own...we're talking .2-.3 better on a small course that averages 2.5-2.7 second lap times. 8%-10% faster!

I have run it for a while as well without the rear magent. It's certainly a slipery bugger in that configuration, but still quite competitive with the Scaley IRL cars, and even hung in there with the Scaley Subaru WRC (which is, without a doubt, the best overall car I'd owned until this one.)

As far as the model itself, it's simply stunning, with one exception...the driver's cockpit is completely blank. There's a sort of steering-wheel shaped thing with some hand looking things on it, but beyond that...nothing. No guages, no dash of any sort, nothing. That's dissapointing to me given the quality of the rest of the car. I haven't drug out the micrometer yet to check sizes (will do that for the actual review this weekend) but it LOOKS right.

Only other complaint is the number of easily lost/broken pieces. The rear wing is only loosely attached, and breaks off easily. The front wing is not permanantly fixed at all (partly because, while not necessary, it's preferable to remove it when disassembling the car) and snaps off at a moment's notice. There are also two small canards to either side of thr driver that, for no apparent reason, aren't permanantly fixed either...and thus easily lost.

All in all, inital impressions are that it's overall a GORGEOUS model as it zooms around the track, and "zooming" is something it's quite capable of doing, especially for an RTR.

More details will come this weekend.

/gb

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
True the wheels slightly to remove the top layer of rubber and get rid of blemishes - try it again

·
Registered
571 Posts
Although nearly competitive with Scaley F1's, Ferraris shouldn't be slower than a Williams!

I made a very easy modification to mine. No alteration to the actual car required! I cut a simple piece of plastic and attached it to the bottom of the car using the existing rear magnet screws. To this I glued a spare Scalextric magnet. Now the car runs just slightly faster than my Scalextric cars. (Just as a real Ferrari F1 should!) You can modify the magnetic grip using spacers under the plastic cutout.

The tyres are the weakest thing on this car in terms of performance, with very poor grip. Changing to Scaley wheels helps but the car doesn't look quite right. Might try the new Scalextric F1 tyres which are more realistic when they are available .

JS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts