SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
You know how it is when you get the urge to just be creative ,well even at my age it still happens .Last week I opened a bag of kindling and found some pieces ideal for carving so this afternoon this is what I came up with its still in its rough stage but may be it'll give some of you the basic idea about body carving

I started with 3 pieces glued together to form a basic wedge For a Lotus 56 Turbine

its easier this way as you dont have to hollow the thing out to get a motor in
The cockpit and exaust bulge were glued on and shaped as was the suspension winglets ,again its easier than carving out of one lump.

The next job is to smooth the rough shell with fine sand paper and fill all the grain then I can begin to add some details but thats definatly for another day .

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Superb Graham!...Now we really are getting back to basics.

Don't tell Jeff or he will start demanding you build it as a Rail Car.

Regards

Alan

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys ,re the window winders on the imp ,I did a track test last week and it goes quite well but the carrera mag sticks it down a bit to much .havent decided on the chasis for the lotus yet but I think 4wd will be the way

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Very nice work Graham will you carve Jim Clark as well? The creative urge stays with us all our lives thankfully. What will you seal the grain with before painting and what chassis have you got in mind?

A few years ago I stated a balsa Lotus 49 but it stalled at this stage - one day I'll finish it.

I want to carve an ERA shell but can't find any plans - has anyone out there seen any on a website?

What about a thread on cars with hand carved bodies - who said that!

David

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
nice work David ,
I plan to skin the body with a light covering of filler so I can engrave the body lines etc, 4wd popsicle probably with 2 mini motors for the chassis .
Which ERA did you want I have a mould for a B type and some plans for both B and C type

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Russell,
the 962 is on hold at the moment as the motor didnt work as well as I expected but it shouldnt be long now .I'll try and post some pics later this week .

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE re the window winders on the imp ,I did a track test last week and it goes quite well but the carrera mag sticks it down a bit to much
Grah, I found the Go! chassis mag to be way too powerful for my Sport track. I had intended to to experiment with the positioning but unfortunately it flew off and attached itself to a passing jumbo jet before I got the chance
Runs really nicely with the TSRF guide installed and a little weight though.

Beautiful job on the Lotus David! Odd Russell didn't mention adding some little holes for the mirrors

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Thanks very much for the link Russell and information Graham. I'm planning on the Bira car although I don't know which designation this is - it's just that I've seen it race so many times I felt I should have a go at one.

David (mirrorphobia) Lawson

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I got hold of these wooden 1/24 thingies a few years ago, not sure who carved them and can't even remember where I got them from!

Next years Turin vintage event, in 1/24, is for 'Thingies' or as the italians say 'Monsters' so I am planning on getting them up and running for this.

Sorry about the picture quality it was taken some years ago with a steam driven digital camera!!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
QUOTE Beautiful job on the Lotus David! Odd Russell didn't mention adding some little holes for the mirrors

I wood (pun intended) have JP, except on the 49 the mirrors were attached to the windscreen

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Fortunately I knew the mirrors were attached to the screen John so no problem, in any event I was attempting to build uprights and radius rods for the F1 chassis and was otherwise engaged - you may hear the sound of hair being torn out from there.....

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Poor old Chris started losing his hair very young - it was nothing to do with me!

David

·
Registered
168 Posts
"I got hold of these wooden 1/24 thingies a few years ago, not sure who carved them and can't even remember where I got them from!"

Wooden thingies! Now there is a strange concept. I have always associated the development of thingies with vac-formed lexan blobs. Making traditional carved wooden bodies in the shape of futuristic spaceships just seems a bit off - like building a wooden computer case. The medium just doesn't fit the subject. The shapes remind me of design contests the model mags used to run back in the day. As I recall, the grand prize was a scholarship to study automotive design. Everyone thought the car of the future (i.e., now) would look like those models and drive themselves! Sort of like George Jetson of Saturday morning cartoon fame.

mp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts