SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 583 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I have been clogging up my Interlonza thread with potential circuit designs recently so I thought I should set up a dedicated thread as I quite like exploring new track options. The limitations for this thread are that any circuit must be able to fit on boards measuring 101cm x 137cm (3'3" x 4'6"). The reason behind this size is that it is the maximum sized board that will fit in the average family hatchback or estate car.

Here are a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

Interlonza

Bertrand 8

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A few questions to clarify what you are looking for. They might save readers coming up with layouts that are non-starters for you..

Does it have to be 4 boards? Or would more or less boards interest you?

How much space do you have where it'll be set up?

Looks like you only interested in layouts for Scalextric digital plastic track - is that correct?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
These are based on 3' x 4'6" boards, or 92 x 138cm. Scalextric track.

This one was designed so that all the boards have matching track exit points, so various different configurations are possible.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
QUOTE (RacingSnake @ 19 Nov 2015, 16:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks! I just spent ages on UR trying to come up with a version, let's see how close I got... ( I have increased the board length to 139cm as this is a useful 4 straights)

I think your design looks great (the board size wasn't my choice, and I agree it makes sense to increase it).

But I've always thought the basic idea was quite interesting.

·
ParrotGod
8,543 Posts
Jason those are some fantastic layouts. What program do you use to generate them?
I think you should start your own thread and just post layouts over layouts.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a great principle using modules, I have seen a few versions (one in BLST of course) the ones Jason posted are particularly relevant to me as I currently use Scalextric Sport and find the board/track joints frustrating. Here's a fully digital version with a few changes no CLCs or racing line chicane. I will have a go at designing some more modules, to start with a right angle section.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 19 Nov 2015, 17:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jason those are some fantastic layouts. What program do you use to generate them?
I think you should start your own thread and just post layouts over layouts.

Thank you, I might well do that sometime.

I use Ultimate Racer for all my layouts.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
QUOTE (RacingSnake @ 19 Nov 2015, 18:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a great principle using modules, I have seen a few versions (one in BLST of course) the ones Jason posted are particularly relevant to me as I currently use Scalextric Sport and find the board/track joints frustrating. Here's a fully digital version with a few changes no CLCs or racing line chicane. I will have a go at designing some more modules, to start with a right angle section.

That looks great, I like the simplified three way section.

And, yes, a right angle section, (presumably with two joins?) would make sense, good thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
QUOTE (RacingSnake @ 19 Nov 2015, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you design these modules JasonB? If so were they for commercial use?

Yes, I designed them.

No, they weren't for any commercial use. I did them in response to a request on another forum. They never got used, as far as I know.

I'd love it if the idea was developed, because it took me ages working it all out, and it seems like a waste if it just sits here on my computer doing nothing.

The original request was made by someone who I think posts here and is far more knowledgeable on digital tracks than I am, but I think he had already fixed his table arrangements which made my suggestions impossible.

But I still think it's an interesting idea, one which could be developed, and one which might have some relevance, to anybody who has to pack their track away or transport it.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Hi Jason

I am very interested in this thread because we are looking at something similar at the moment and are in touch with a company that principally do electronics but have a robot cutter which could possibly cut panels like this with channels for the track to sit in, with space for scenery and channels for lighting cables etc. It is early days but we are about to start experimenting with producing panels that would combine to make a Silverstone circuit.

The idea of producing panels that could be combined in different ways might make it interesting to a wider group of people. It is something which has been done for a while in miniature war gaming where the same panels can be put together in different ways to make different battlefields.

David

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
QUOTE (Djessett @ 20 Nov 2015, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am very interested in this thread because we are looking at something similar at the moment and are in touch with a company that principally do electronics but have a robot cutter which could possibly cut panels like this with channels for the track to sit in, ...
Sounds almost like a routed track, which these days are often made using NC routers. That overcomes the layout restrictions on plastic track. Just might be worth thinking about?

QUOTE (Djessett @ 20 Nov 2015, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The idea of producing panels that could be combined in different ways might make it interesting to a wider group of people ...
There have been quite a lot of wood tracks with alternative layouts built, I remember seeing some from the 1960s. One example of a company currently producing them commercially is Slotfire.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
I hope to build a routed track one day, most likely from BLST but I need to reach a certain level of club/local interest to justify the cost and effort.

In the mean time here is a layout that will fit where my current circuit is. In digital guise the location of LCs and pit lanes are and issue (as always) and may need to be swapped for plain track for certain combinations. I have come up with a few versions of the two exit 90 degree piece, this one has the smoothest outer curve with R4s. Board size is revised to 101cm x 140cm.

1 - 20 of 583 Posts