SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I've never been a keen Jacky Ickx fan until relatively recently.

Of course his prowess at Le Mans is legendary but after reading Jackie Stewarts biography recently I was amazed to read that Ickx was sometimes outspokenly against the pace of the introduction of the safety measures that Stewart was calling for in the 1970s.

However, I recently read an interview in Motorsport Magazine where he was kind and gracious about Stewart and he paid tribute to all those who supported him in his career, especially the mechanics that serviced his race cars throughout his time in racing.

He was a complete master of the Nurburgring and I decided to recreate his car from his "one off drive" for McLaren at the Ring in 1973.

Apparently he had grown disallusioned with the poorly performing F1 Ferrari and quite ouspoken about the shortcomings of the management at Maranello. On hearing this Ferrari withdrew their entry in Germany (the thought being that if Ickx doesn't like the Ferrari perhaps they should not provide him with a car to race). Ferrari also suggested that there was little wrong with their car and perhaps it was Ickx that was at fault.

To prove his point Ickx went to McLaren and asked for a one off drive of an M23 at the Ring for the German GP in 1973.

Having had little or no time to familiarise himself with the M23 he put the car on the second row in qualifying and came 3rd in the race behind the all conquering Tyrrells of Stewart and Cevert.

What Balls!

This is the car I started with. A nice little French Scaley wreck from ebay.

A little time and effort (as well as some terrific INDYCALS from the USA) and this is what I've created.

Of course a few nerds will spot the Brabham BT44 rear wing, but I don't care it's close enough to the real thing and much stronger than a scratchbuilt one for the hard racing that its going to get in the Bearwood Classic F1 class this year!

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
I remember watching that Grand Prix on TV ( I was 13). What I can't remember was why he was in a McLaren. Did he have an argument with Ferrari or something and was it a one-off race for him at McLaren???

ABBO

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Didn't realise you were that old Abbo
Hope to meet up again soon. Why don't you come to my Classic Race on October 2nd. Mike (Presto Park)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Really nice job Ian. I'm considering running this class again next year at Presto as the cars are cheap and it's a level playing field for everyone. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (abbo @ 15 Sep 2011, 09:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I remember watching that Grand Prix on TV ( I was 13). What I can't remember was why he was in a McLaren. Did he have an argument with Ferrari or something and was it a one-off race for him at McLaren???

ABBO

Yes thats right. Read the top part of my original post for the full story.

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
Yep - sorry - I was so engrossed with the video, I forgot to read your words

Good memories though.

ABBO

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Spot on video Jexy!
Thanks for posting that.
I`m certain that French Scaley briefly released the McLaren in Yardley livery.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 15 Sep 2011, 15:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Spot on video Jexy!
Thanks for posting that.
I`m certain that French Scaley briefly released the McLaren in Yardley livery.
Cheers,
Kev

They did make one in the Yardley colours and I was outbid on one for sale on Ebay recently (when it got to £28 I stopped chucking bids at it).

So decided to make one of my own.

Car = £7.95 (inc P&P) off ebay
Rear wing = £3 (MK slot meet)
Indycals from the USA = £6.12 (including shipping, uber bargain).
Rattle can of white acrylic = £4.20.

Add some time and effort and hey presto!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
QUOTE (Yazoo @ 15 Sep 2011, 10:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really nice job Ian. I'm considering running this class again next year at Presto as the cars are cheap and it's a level playing field for everyone. Mike

Don't just consider it . . . . do it!

We are having great fun at Bearwood with this class and you can be competitive for a fiver.

The cars are superb to drive and need my skill to get a consistently good lap time, plus you really have to pick your opportunities carefully when you go to overtake.

This class has rejuvenated Bearwood Club for the better!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi !

Beautiful McLaren !
Yardley was the most elegant sponsor in F1.
And the M23 was a super car, could have won its very first race, in South Africa.
The Yardley McLarens had lots of different drivers in just 2 years (Hulme, Revson, Scheckter, Ickx, Hailwood, Hobbs, Mass), all very fast.

Which tires and wheels did you use ?

About Ickx driving for McLaren, as far as I remember, he had Ferrari's authorization, after McLaren invitation.
The 1973 Ferrari F1 car was very bad, so the team decided to stay out from two GP (Holland and Germany) to try to improve the car.
It appeared again in Austria, with Merzario at the wheel, qualified 6th and finished 7th.
At the next GP, Ickx was back but qualified just 14th and finished 8th.
It was his last GP for Ferrari.
Merzario qualified 7th and did not finish.

André Acker.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
QUOTE (andre acker @ 17 Sep 2011, 02:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which tires and wheels did you use ?

The front axle has the original French Scalextric wheels with skinny Ninco Touring car type tyre (but I might get some Zero Grips to replace them).

The rear axle has 1970's Scaley F1 wheels and tyres which have been trued and treated with 3-in-1 oil to soften them up a bit.

I tried the car at Bearwood raceway last Thursday night before our NINCO Touring Car races and once the engine gets warm it is really nice to drive. Very docile and progressive towards the limit and much better than a lot of UK Scalextric from the same era.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts