SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first kit, a Jaguar E-Type from World Classic. Looks pretty nice, and i can hardly wait until im finished. But ive got a few questions already, and more will probably come later!

1) The axle doesnt fit the Rims. Should i gently use a hammer to fit them, or drill the holes a bit bigger?

2) The sides of the MRRC chassis need to be trimmed down! Which tool will you recommend? Dremmel or saw.

Hope you guys can help!

Morten

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I didn't get the kit after all the discussion elsewhere, so I don't know exactly the problem with the axles. But GENTLE tapping with a hammer ought to be the solution. If not, you've got good grounds for returning the kit to the manufacturers. Drilling out the whells is a dangerous procedure unless you have a really smooth lathe. Otherwise you'll almost certainly get the terminal wobbles.
And I'd definitely Dremel those chassis sides. I'm actually thinking of having my right hand removed and a Dremel surgically implanted to save time picking the damn thing up and putting it down over and over again.

Good luck with it. I'd love to see how it turns out, 'cos one of those E-types is definitely on my want list.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The problems with the axle and sides of the chassis are solved!

Ive painted it, and added the decals!

Im quite pleased with the result!

My next job is to add the windscreen, and Headlights!

Its the headlights that gives me a problem! Or actually the Headlight covers!
A tip for construction says, i could use a tiny amount of laquer instead of glue!

Should i apply the laquer to the whole car (thats the next job anyway), and then place the headlight covers in place, or should i apply the laquer to the covers?

Morten

·
Registered
225 Posts
If it comes down to "hammering" try using a large vise instead. You can pad the outside of the rims to prevent scratching, and have much more control over the amount of force used, the last thing you want to see is the end of the axle peering out thru the plastic

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'd paint a tiny bit of laquer round the edges of the headlight covers and pop them in place, then go over the whole car with it. Even the windows. Make sure the laquer is compatible with the decals- i.e., it doesn't wrinkle them. Future floor polish, as mentioned many times on this Forum is the stuff. Personally, I use a little bit of PVA glue for headlight covers. Dries clear, and you can wipe off excess with a cotton tip and water before it hardens.

The car looks GREAT Fangio! I want one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts