Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out and about again. Been to an auction tonight, well… it was my first time. What an experience! Almost bought myself a taxed and tested Nova saloon for £20. But sadly my parents didn't want a Vauxhall badged garden ornament.

Something else did catch my eye though. At the back of yard, shielded by some vans was a yellow Jaguar Sovereign. (pictured)

Ok, hardly in pristine condition. It was the alloys that caught my eye. Pepperpots? I thought they might just be. So I'll ask you lot!

Below the bonnet, a 4.2 straight 6 (so I think, I maybe wrong). Which is bigger than my dad's Jag, measly 4L in his.

The body looks fairly 'shot at'…

Interior was cloth, which I thought odd considering it was a Sovereign.

Car will be up for sale in Thursday, I guess it'd make a amazing first car! Even if I never drive it.

Thanks, James

·
Registered
289 Posts
Those wheels are indeed the so-called Pepperpots, which are fairly sought-after here in the States, as they were never used on an officially-imported model.

Ye olde tin-worm does seem to have been a bit active on that one. Best get under and check the front subframe and the rear radius arm mountings, as these can be rather expensive to repair.

I suspect the seats have been swopped out or recovered, as the UV usually kills the upholstery and stitching after 15 or so years, and those look pretty good..

That's a late SII car (1977-78) and in a fairly unusual color: Cotswold Yellow. Most folks here detest it. The story goes that Jaguar had to repaint a number of new Costwold Yellow cars here in the US to make them saleable! As delivered in that color, almost no one would buy them.

Sick puppy that I am, I like the color. It's certainly eye-catching.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help cheater, much appreciated.

My dad has been thinking if those wheels would go on his 1995 Sovereign, so I'll investigate that later.

I must point out that I'm only 16, so my knowledge of restoring cars is rather...low. Does anyone think it's past the point of saving?

I'll be able get some more photos on Thursday, where shall I point my lens at?

Also, can anyone give me a rough value of these wheels? (Preferably in the UK)

Thanks Again,
James

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
they would look wrong and take hours to clean, try to get some of the xjr supercharged things wheels, 5 spoke ones.

Pepperpots only look good on 205's, Xr2's and maybe just maybe capri's

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
James......Take a look at my website (lHypertext link in my sig.), that took my four and half years working most weekends and that was on a car with a chassis.

Jaguar restoration is difficult and very expensive, unless you can find a suitable donor car. You can buy a decent one for about £3k but take someone with you who knows Jags/Damliers.

Regards

Alan

By the way...You would never get an Insurance Company to give you a quote until you're much older.......Why not go for a Mini or similar?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Alan, your site looks like a very good read. I'll take some time to read what you've said, i think i could pick quite alot of info' up.

Don't worry, I wasn't even going to attempt to insure that beast myself. I've had plenty of shocks trying to insure a 1.3 Fiesta (almost £2k!!)

So you would say it's beyond the point of repair? Not to become a mint car, would it hold together for a MOT?

Cheers, James

·
Jim Moyes
5,001 Posts
QUOTE (cheater @ 12 Jul 2004, 21:50)That's a late SII car (1977-78)
Sorry Cheater, this side of the pond that is known as a Series 3 and it's about 79-80! Don't know if you missed out on a change over there, come to think of it I don't often see Series 1s on US TV programmes! Obvious pointer is the flush door handles, the fuel injection and the seriously unclassy stainless steel/plastic bumpers with the flashers built in. I say unclassy, even though Inte mentioned those other erm...boxes in the same breath as this. I know Inte, just your opinion

Looks reasonably straight and tidy from your pics, James, but you're obviously on the ball with the tinworm shown. Also check the boot floor and the front crossmember under the radiator! I suspect if you've got a stock car track near you, you might have some serious competition on auction night. I've got a feeling that if your Dads car is the late outboard brake model the wheels won't fit!

Get a few insurance quotes, though!

Mr.M

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mr. Mat, you are correct; I missed the flush door handles, a dead giveaway! The coin tray in the interior seemed to me to be a SII version, but I was clearly wrong to think that. I should know better, as I work for a major Jag parts vendor over here. I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

The Cotswold Yellow is really what threw me, as that color was only available for 2 or 3 years, the final two of the SII production and the first one of SIII if I remember correctly (and I've already proved my memory isn't worth a darn, haven't I?).

FWIW, the late SII cars here in the States had FI, so that is not exclusively a SIII marker.

The Pepperpots will almost certainly not fit that X300 '95 car; Jag made change in the hubs about that time (if I remember correctly; I'm the company IT guy now and don't eyeball the cars much any more).

James, Jr, the comment about the insurance situation is very cogent. Don't do anything until you check that situation out.

For all the Jag info you'd ever want, check out the central Jag enthusiast website on the 'net:

www.jag-lovers.org

I'm told there are over 9,000 pages on this site!

And the Pepperpots don't seem to have a lot of value. I've known US guys who've bought sets for US$75 each from the UK.

·
Jim Moyes
5,001 Posts
QUOTE (cheater @ 13 Jul 2004, 03:26)The coin tray in the interior seemed to me to be a SII version

FWIW, the late SII cars here in the States had FI, so that is not exclusively a SIII marker.
I doff my hat to you cheater, if you can tell from the coin tray
I suppose we have the advantage over here of the registration number being linked to the cars age.

So!! You lot had injection before us, and I 'spose the 5-speed box too! Still I think the US market was always bigger than the home one for Jag!

Mr.M

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out and about in Southport today, spotted this:

A slightly younger SIII (about 1987-8?) the yellow one is a 1979 example.

Cheater, I'm trying my best to try and get some quotes now. But many of online quotes are unable to give me a price. Although, i will keep trying. I have had 1 quote from the AA, my Premium was £5527.59 for third party fire and theft... that included my dad (50+) as a named driver. I'll swap us around and see what I get then, me being the named driver. I'll try this later as I'm going out.

Now looking doubtfull that I'll be able to save this jaguar now. Parents think it's too big of a project, i'm trying to make them think otherwise! But running out of reasons quickly...

If anyone is interested, the car in in Rosegrove Auctions, Burnley, Lancashire. Under a hour from Manchester in the north west of England.

Thanks again for all your input, I've been fascinated with some of the knowledge that has been put forward.

Cheers, James

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mr. Mat,

Just so you will understand that there is a difference, here's a 1987 SIII interior as sold in the States:

Fed-Spec LHD interior

FWIW, no manual trans SI,II,III sedans were ever officially sold here, and just a few dozen manual XJ-Ss.

I do believe you are correct that Jag sold more cars in the US than in the home market.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aaahhhhhhhh

as Rob (aka Intergrali) says, massive project. I'd never be able to do it myself, not at the moment at least.
Almost been offered a Fiesta tonight, a car i know some history of already. That'd be more realistic for me.

Looks like a sorry end for the Yellow Jaguar...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the boot floor....

sorry about the pic, wasn't an easy photo to take. Thats under the boot.

The car remains in the corner... awaiting a buyer.
Shame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts