SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In March 2010, an SFI contributor asked if anyone had made an XJS slot car. Apart from a non-motorised, plastic kit in 1:43-scale by Heller, it seemed that the XJS had been completely overlooked by the modelling fraternity in its entirety.

Ten years later the situation appears to remain unchanged, which seems odd to me, especially as this car (despite all) had quite a following on both sides of the Atlantic.

There were road and racing versions aplenty, but I imagine the principal RTR manufacturers have done their homework, and rejected the idea.

Is it time for a 'rethink?' Views chaps?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yes. Thank you both for letting know. Nice shells from both Betta and George.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
What this thread needs is Simon to drop one of his trademark cryptic posts that might, or might not, hint at Margate's plans.

Inline Mabuchi, Euro-standard hubs, please.🤞

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wankel

Ditto and thanks. I was rather hoping that Simon might drop in on this topic, and gissa hint. He's also keeping quiet about an Espirit mooted elsewhere.

And, as we've also noted in the past, there is a huge dearth of slot Rolls-Royces and post War Bentleys.

Love or hate the Silver Shadow, for example, I suspect it would add a certain Je ne sais quoi to most folks' slot paddocks.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
And, as we've also noted in the past, there is a huge dearth of slot Rolls-Royces and post War Bentleys.
Yeah, you're on your own there.🙄

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It's a wonder that Scalextric haven't made a Jaguar XJS slot model. It would sit well with all those James Bond Aston Martin DB5's and the Trotter boys Reliant Regal van :O :p B)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What this thread needs is Simon to drop one of his trademark cryptic posts that might, or might not, hint at Margate's plans.

Inline Mabuchi, Euro-standard hubs, please.
But would me saying nothing actually hint more towards it happening? Seeing as actually I am governed by some very strict rules regarding hints and nods towards future projects...? But maybe my excitement could not be hidden, and I'd have to comment? Or it would all be a ruse? All I can say is not next year, but I am sure we will do it at some point, it has a bit of a lack of liveries to be honest.

In all seriousness the XJS is an complete favourite of mine. The Group 44 one is alas, very different to the group A TWR cars, but either would be a fine addition to any range I am sure.

I also nearly bought one once. After a night on far too many beers a late night go on ebay, and some comments from a friend daring me to do it saw me place a bid on what can only be described as a project V12.... I then fell asleep and had no memory of this upon waking. Until I received a reminder on my app telling me it had 15 min to go and I was the highest bidder.....thankfully I was outbid with 5 min to go!

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
But would me saying nothing actually hint more towards it happening? Seeing as actually I am governed by some very strict rules regarding hints and nods towards future projects...? But maybe my excitement could not be hidden, and I'd have to comment? Or it would all be a ruse?
Messing with my head. And then some. 👍

...it has a bit of a lack of liveries to be honest.
Hmmm. Are there a lot of liveries in, say... a road-going Aston Martin V8?? 🤔

Reactions: Simon

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is difficult to remember a bigger shock to the sense of automotive good taste than the XJ-S superseding the E-Type.

Although the Mustang II came close.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely, Rob. Even dyed-in-the-wool Jaguar enthusiasts (I'm not among them) thought Malcom Sayer had taken leave of his senses, but many today have changed their minds.

My memories of driving the XJS years ago are of a fast car in a straight line that struggled on corners. Fuel consumption was horrific, reliability dismal, build quality awful and it was rarely long before tinworm consumed the metalwork.

The yellow race-prepped car driven by Iain Exeter in clubbie events years ago was never a match even for a 2.4-litre 911.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I rented an XJS from Avis once, for a 3-day birthday pressie ride for a girl I was dating who was crazy about the car. It remains the fastest car I've ever driven in the UK, and no, I'm NOT saying how fast either!

The big V12 engine impressed me greatly, it failed 'Kit's 1/2" bolt test' totally, which says that if you drop a 1/2" bolt into the engine compartment of any car, and it falls out the bottom onto the road, then you have a fair chance of fixing any problems yourself. If it doesn't, you haven't a hope.

Most modern cars fail that test spectacularly!

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a cross-country car the XJS is among the slowest, most cumbersome cars I've ever driven. Fast it is not.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
If one livery is tv/film,especially Bond then it is worth 2-3 race or road liveries, so afraid so!
Shaking (not stirring) my head in disbelief.

See what I did there? Shaken? Not stirred? Quality.

No? Please yourself.

Reactions: Trisha

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The XJS featured in Fletch with Chevy Chase and a Cannonball Run film with John Candy. Not sure about Bond. It has also appeared in other films. Plus there are several TV appearances. Maybe a Fletch special Scalextric car?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There are unlimited fantasy liveries for this car. I don't see the problem.
biggrin.png

The real car may not have been a top performer compared to other cars. But with some good slot car gear. It might make an excellent slot car platform.
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Return of the Saint television series featured a white XJS. How hard is that livery to do?

1 - 20 of 167 Posts