SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about 1:1 cars I like - nothing new then

My favourite classic car is the Jensen Interceptor. I first saw one as a kid in the 1970's and was blown away by the style (that amazing rear screen) and the massive - by UK 1970's standards - 6 or 7 litre engine (My Dad had a 3 litre MK1 Capri, but was top trumped in my opinion at the time, by a white Interceptor - he was gutted !).

This memory made me think - has there ever been a slot car version ?
Is there a bodyshell made/available?
Is there a way of building one?

If so I will build one, not to race it, but just to sit and look at whilst sipping a nice glass of rose.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

·
Administrator
10,002 Posts
Good question Ian, and the result seems to be... better buy yourself a big block of balsa and start carving!

I was pretty sure there were no slot versions, but a quick search on ebay didn't turn up any model kits either, which seems surprising...

Maybe somebody else can help you.

Don

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
While likely hard to find, "Blue Box" did make an injection molded one 1/25 scale. While I have never seen one in the flesh, they were apparently quite well done.

******After a bit more digging, I have found a few conflicting opinions on whether this was in fact injection molded, or, a diecast !!

Cheers
Chris Walker

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The only rear window that comes anywhere near the Interceptor's is the 1964-66 Plymouth Barracuda, made even more outrageous in the 'Hemi Under Glass' wheelstander.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question Ian, and the result seems to be... better buy yourself a big block of balsa and start carving!

I was pretty sure there were no slot versions, but a quick search on ebay didn't turn up any model kits either, which seems surprising...

Maybe somebody else can help you.

Don
Thank you Don. Yes I have never been able to find a kit either as the car has quite a following. Real shame.
Ian

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mr pouvet the interceptor had the 440 cu inch / 7.2 litre v8 as used in the Dodge Challenger/ charger ect so in its day was a proper weapon.it’s only real downfall was its voracious appitite for fuel,as they say it’ll pass anything but a petrol station

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Ian, what John's linked is the vacform body I had back around 1970; it hasn't survived.

If you want to order some from Ian Fitzpatrick let me know as there are bound to be some shells I want too and we can share P+P costs. Have a good look around the site; two scales, two materials. Just be aware that the 1:32 ones are mostly over scale width because BSCRA nee ECRA allow 64mm / 2 1/2" and have done so since the late 1960s.

scalemates.com is a great resource to check whether a given car has been modelled as a plastic kit, but apparently not for the Interceptor or FF.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dinky did a die-cast one. No idea what scale, though, and I'm sceptical of die-cast cars for slot conversions. All that weight makes me nervous.

Edit: A quick search indicates that the Dinky model was actually an FF rather than the Interceptor, and was approximately 1/40 scale. I remember it as bigger, but that's near 50 year old memories for you. I had the Action Kit version, rather badly painted in blue.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,685 Posts
I am an avid fan of this Interceptor/FF since I saw the side profile of one in a technical book when I was at college in the 70s. Would love to get a decent 1:32 version.

Leo

·
Registered
241 Posts
A guy I worked with in the 70s drove one of these - I think it was a gold colour. I used to get a ride in it quite frequently after work, although one time I'm glad I wasn't in it when he rolled it on a corner and wrote it off. He went back to driving a LHD VW Beetle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts