SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Apologies if post is in the wrong place, but new to this forum idea. I bought my son the drift kings set (I remember scalextric as a child and the stock cars that could do 360!). Sadly the cars have become jerky and whilst i have 'lifted' the braids they seem to wear out very quickly and despite constant adjustment the cars just do not run smoothly. Is there a more durable braid I can use, or other tweaks I could make to them so they work better.

Is a Peco rubber the best thing to clean tracks with - I think I still have one from the old Hornby days.

Thanks for your time reading this and any help you can give, Jonathan

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Where to start?

Jerky performance suggests poor electrical contact.

Harder wearing braids would also be stiffer so that would make contact issues worse.

Try cleaning your braids with lighter fluid. You could also take the guide apart and check the metal pickups are making good contact (they may need slight bending to put some spring back into them). This guide is quite complicated with a few points that rely on good electrical contact. Cleaning it up should help.

You can replace the braids yourself rather than buy new plates - www.copperbraid.co.uk will sell you a metre of braid for a good price. It makes it less expensive to change your braids more often.

A clean track is also a good idea - the track rubber should help.

Internal wires can sometimes fracture causing intermittent contact but as both of your cars are jerky I doubt this is the problem but could be worth looking at.

On a general maintenance point: Have you lubricated the running gear? A tiny (and I mean tiny) drop of oil on each end of the motor bearing. Oil the nylon axle bearings and gears.

Before you lubricate the running gear - remove all hairs, carpet fluff and general gunk that gets stuck in the moving bits (I'm assuming you are a rug racer).

Does the guide rotate freely? If not then lubing the guide shaft can also help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I also use WD40 on a rag to clean the braids and remove the build up of carbon off them. The braids on the drift cars seem to gunk up quicker than cars with the standard braid configuration.

Matt

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi, when I read the original post my immediate thought was 'yeah, they do that'. I think the main problem, that all of the above might not get around, is that because the braids are fixed to the plate at both ends, they don't hang freely to ensure constant contact like normal slot cars, and if the car is not very flat to the surface, or if the track's not completely flat, there will be a break in contact, and jerks or stopping.

This is the main reason why mine don't get used much. Some are worse than others, the Lambo and Range Rover police are pretty good, the Nissan GT-R is the worst. I find it helps if the braids are fitted with a bit of slack to make sure there's as much contact as possible.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everybody for your help. I will look into some maintenance on the cars (I had bought too stiffer braid replacement I think) and try all other suggestions. They are the GT-R cars! Thanks, Jonathan

·
Mark
735 Posts
i found the drift cars were a bit troublesome. the braid isn't set up like a standard car and over a bump it would struggle. try taking the braid off and where the braid contacts the rails, pull a little more braid through so there is some braid loose, it will give u more braid contact. or if u only plan the run them in one direction, put the screws in to lock of the guide blade and re work the braids on the plate like a standard car.
thats what i did anyway lol hope it helps!
mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts