SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
He was a busy boy, that Jim Clark. Rallies, Formula 2, Indy 500, touring cars, sports cars - and the occasional Grand Prix, at which he had a bit of talent.

In slot form I'd been looking for the right car to do as one of Clark's, after a nasty FF-powered experience with the Lotus 49 and little encouragement on the shelf queen Lotus Tina. Fortunately we have a class for 'long chassis' Revells at our club, and this let me cover one of Clark's lesser-known mounts.

No doubt with some encouragement from Ford, NASCAR founder Bill France, approached the F1 brigade in 1967 and suggested entering a car owned by the Holman Moody team in the Rockingham 500, to be held on October 29th: with Clark to be paired with Jackie Stewart.

In the end 'wee Jackie' opted out and was replaced in the line-up by Jochen Rindt, and Holman Moody duly brought one of their fleet of Ford Fairlanes in a rather attractive shade called Emberglow for use by the boys from 'Yurp'.

Clark's qualifying attempt was hampered by the loss of a wheel but, nonetheless, he managed 24th position on the grid, out of 44 starters. In the race the Ford Fairlane's engine gave up just after quarter distance but he had already worked his way up to 12th. The premature retirement meant that Rindt did not get the opportunity to drive the number 66 machine.

I bought the Revell model of David Pearson's sister car, which was also apparently painted Emberglow, in the hope of retaining the body colour. No such luck, the car's more coral pink! A can of real Emberglow costs over 20 quid so instead I went for Humbrol Bronze at a fraction of the price, with Tamiya Racing White on the roof and rear bumper and a set of Patto's fine decals.

Masking it was a *[email protected]+#! and took a bit of tidying. I also made Clark's bandana/face mask by shaving down the features on the driver figure a bit and smearing some filler thinly over the top.

So here you are - rather pleased with it, m'self.

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
Great job, a fine tribute to one of my heroes...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Likewise, Clark was a hero of mine, saw him in several races, spectacular in a Cortina
once in a '63 Galaxie at Brands, but never in Nascar, unfortunately.
Excellent model, the driver certainly looks like Clark. I'm impressed and encouraged to finish my attempt...
I was disappointed with the paint job on the Pearson Fairlane so I bought the Dick Hutchinson and bronze paint to convert to Clarks No66.
I do think Revell has missed opportunities for some worthwhile Limited Editions: Jim Clark's Cortina, Galaxie and Fairlane or Dan Gurney's Galaxie, Lola T60 and McLaren M6B.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
An excellent re-livery, very well done....

You cant beat the early classic Nascars for that nostalgic original "roadcar" look..great job..

Mr J Clark was one of the best drivers of the period, sadly missed by all motorsport fans.

All the best.. Martin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts