SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
Only a handful of SF members will remember him but sad to say Joe Dutton passed away last Sunday aged 85.

Back in the 1950's he & his mates toured the local summer fetes putting on displays of control line stunt & combat flying.
Perhaps as a requirement of something to do in the winter months this lead to the formation of Newport (Salop) Rail Car Club, culminating in 1962 with the club running the Rail Racing National Finals.

The club then converted to slot, building a 55' Imstone surface wooden track in a new clubroom in Upper Bar, later replaced with a 90' Sandtex surface "mountain" circuit.

Joe was also a leading light in the formation of "The Electric Car Racing Association" (ECRA) & area 4 (Midlands) delegate for a number of years.
For the first two or three ECRA National Finals he worked on race control, did PA commentary & wrote up reports for Model Cars magazine.

He left slot racing in the late 60's to try his hand at conjuring & became a member of "The Magic Circle", touring theatres & nightclubs doing cabaret with "stars" such as Frankie Vaughan & "The Merseybeats".

When the agricultural equipment supply company he worked for closed he opened a key cutting & engraving business in Newport High Street & performed Punch & Judy at children's birthday parties & the local summer fetes. When I saw him at one of these shows he told me that keeping children entertained was the most difficult thing he had ever done!

I remember Joe as a kind & patient person who taught us youngsters how to solder & scratch build slot cars. He never turned us away when we turned up, evenings, unannounced, at his back garden shed (workshop) looking for advice and/or help, whether it be slot cars or the latest Kiel Kraft aircraft build!

Eddie

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Sad, sad news indeed, another of the old gaurd is go forever.
I knew joe from the early 60,s and the rail days.
Being a member of Oakland park at that time we had many exchange
trips between the two clubs but as we moved further into the 60.s
the guys and gels of Newport took up with this new fangled "slot" idea,
we told them it would never catch on but they went ahead and converted .
Two, maybe three years ago i went over to joe,s shop for a natter, at
lunch time we went for a meal but sadly i noticed his mind was not as it
had been as he kept slipping from one subject to another without realising.
But there was one thing he DID remember, as he recalled he had to take
me to task at the National finnals in 1964 and warn me about shouting at
the marshals, it evidently did not sink in as still did it untill i packed slotting in.
As Eddie said he was a true gent and helped many guys along the way, its
sad that his likes have to leave us.
RIP Joe you made a differance.
Mac P

·
Gerald Lambourn
998 Posts
I had great encouragement from Joe while building my home circuit in the Summer of 1961, Barrie Wade and myself always looked forward to the Newport meeting in the first weekend of November, I think I got in my only Final at the Newport track in the summer of '64. I found some photos of those days in my Mother's photo collection, I really will post them very soon. Joe was one of the very best! GeraldL

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi eddie
Not sure if a I ever met joe ,and I certainly didn,t know him well ,but growing up in the 60s with modle racing cars I was well aware of his influence on the hobby
seemed a very nice guy ,and it is sad to think another of the pioneers that helped slot racing develop in this country is no longer with us

RIP joe

Cheers tony

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
QUOTE (GeraldL @ 25 Apr 2012, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I found some photos of those days in my Mother's photo collection, I really will post them very soon. Joe was one of the very best! GeraldL
Thanks Mac, Gerald & Tony, funeral today, I'll be there.
Love to see the photos Gerald, perhaps you could bring them to Bordeaux in June?
Eddie

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Was there a photo of him in the old Model Car or Model Maker magazines? I could scan that as a modest tribute...

Don

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Don,
Thanks, that would be nice.
From memory, theres a good picture of him in one of the Model cars Nationals reports.
Bradford 1966 I think, if I'm correct it's in the February 1967 issue, try page 68. (Info from VSRN at the moment!)
Picture I'm thinking of is Joe in typical pose, microphone in hand, at race control, sitting next to Laurie Cranshaw.
Eddie

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Don
wish you hadn,t posted that whole page as i recognise some of the 1960 s glitterati in the other photos
sorry to be hi jacking joe duttons thread.
As the text says the guy on joe duttons right is the famous laurie cranshaw the god father of ECRA and ex rail race national champ
The picture top right ,in addition to 66 sports champ john essex of haydon,second from the right is eltham hotshot roger willimott who won the dyna raceway series
In the bottom picture on the left The guy on the end of the rostrum is ken stokes ,first ever GP slot car racing champ of britain to kens right studying the car is the late john snewin once described to me as the best driver never to win the nationals to johns right also studying the car is steve broadbtidge ,the boy wonder who won the sports nationals in 1967 and again to his right is roger willimott
Hope thats of interest to somebody

Cheers tony

·
Eddie Grice
2,295 Posts
Hi Tony,
I can add local West Midlands ace "The Reverend "
Chris Aston as well.
He's extreme left of the bottom left picture in the smart white jacket & tie.
Long-time Oakland's member, still racing furiously at Dudley these days.
Eddie

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Eddie
well spotted ,i dont think i ever saw the Rev when he was that young which might account for me not recognising him

cheers tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts